Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Chrome-lined Criterion barrel flaking?

olp73

Hi

I want to start by saying that I am not sure about this at all and don’t want to create negative publicity for Criterion. My opinion is still that they make very good products at an affordable price.

I just wonder is it possible that the chrome on one of the lances are flaking after less than 1000 rounds? Most of you will probably think it is just copper or carbon built-up, but I have foamed the barre twice and scrubbed more than I like to do in a barrel. No carbon and no blue on the patches. The long spot on the right edge of one of the lance are still there. It appears a few thousands of an inch right after the throat.

…………….and it might just explain the mike on a close target and the keyhole on the target next to it from the major match last weekend. If that was not enough, I have something that looks like a baffle strike on the JP brake form the same match, same day. Second baffle.

What do you guys think?

If you are seeing something on the lands (what is a lance?) of the rifling after all that cleaning, and if you are getting keyholing, then certainly something is wrong.

I built a rifle with a Criterion barrel over a year ago. It was on sale at Brownell's and I wanted to save a little money. I haven't had problems like you, but accuracy is just so-so. I'm thinking of saving my pennies and splurging on a top notch barrel this winter.

Chrome lining can debond, crack and cause issues, and will eventually do so around the gas port after many thousands of rounds. However, it sounds like you got a bad barrel. I would suggest you contact them about it.

When chrome lined barrels start to wear out, the chrome comes out in "Chunks" you can see this with a bore scope. The underlying metal gives way and takes the plating with it. I would see what it looks like with a bore scope, it could be wear, tar, lead or carbon. You did not shoot .22 lr in a conversion kit through it did you? I would try JB bore or another bore paste and see what happens if you don't have access to a bore scope.

I've built 2 ar-15 and one ar-10 all using Criterion barrel's. Accuracy has been great and no issues to mention. I would contact them, could be one slipped through the QC cracks.

No, no bench shooting, but I have tested it from a bi-pod and a sad bag. Still shoots 1” groups at 100 meters. I think it used to shoot a tad better but I cannot be sure.

Bottom line, yes it still shoots