Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New 650 Owner, got questions...

Let's say I want to finish a reloading session. Primer warning buzzer beeps, so I turn off the case feeder so all I have are the cases in the pipe.

When I run out of primers, I still have cases in the pipe and cases with powder on station 3 and 4 and a round ready to be crimped on station 5.

So, far I have to take off the cases from stations 3-5 and run the press several times until all cases are gone from the pipe then put the cases back on stations 3-5 and finish those 3 rounds. Also, a bit tedious as I have to ratchet each case through the powder drop station before letting another one drop from the pipe during this process.

Is there an easier way?

For my 9mm, I added tape to the primer push rod so when the alarm goes off, I turn the case feeder off and the cases run out same time as primers. Sometimes I miss it by 1.

In your scenario, just pull the cases out at station 2, and keep running the loaded rounds through. Then if you have some left in the tube, do you care?

For my 9mm, I added tape to the primer push rod so when the alarm goes off, I turn the case feeder off and the cases run out same time as primers. Sometimes I miss it by 1.

In your scenario, just pull the cases out at station 2, and keep running the loaded rounds through. Then if you have some left in the tube, do you care?

Oh, I didn't realize cases could be pulled off out of station 2. If I can do that then no issue of course. Thanks.

When I'm out of primers and clearing the case feeder I just run press like normal except add a step of removing the case just sized and indexed to station 2. So it's remove case at 2, place bullet, pull handle, repeat.

Pull them out at station two and keep loading the rounds that are past it. I keep a few extra primers nearby so if I run out but still have cases to load I'll drop two or three into the press to finish off the last few pieces of brass. Taking them out at station two would be the easiest.

I just made a little clip out of wire (coat hanger I think) shaped like a squared off C. One leg goes in the case funnel, and the other reaches across to the out side of the casting, side closest to you. You just press the case actuator and slide the clip you made down into it and it keeps it from retracting to pick up another case from the tube until you are ready for it. I can post photos later if necessary.

I also use a wall hanging hook, bent more flat, to 'pause' the primer indexing when necessary. You just insert it between the finger that reaches down into the rotating primer carousel and the carousel itself. the finger just slides along the top of the carousel without indexing it. Pull out the hook when you are ready for primers again.

I also set my priming system to alert early. I forced a small rubber bushing from ACE hardware onto the rod so when the alarm sounds I cut off the CF and primers and brass run dry at the same time.