Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tuning carbine length buffer spring?

biglou13

I'm concerned with the tuning if forward motion of bolt. Via lighter weight spring , clipping spring and spacers.

I can't find much chatter about this on the net and or local range.

Tac com Has their rifle legnth system ... Basically lightweight springs with spacers to increase for minimal energy to strip round and lock bolt forward

Any one else tune similar to this for carbine legnth?

What did you do?

How are you spacing/ shimming buffer spring?

Are you trimming stock spring? Vs buying lightweight spring?

Anyone tune the the taccom carbine system for forward inertia?

I have both the rifle legnth and carbine legnth tac com system.

I just completed rifle legnth build.

I'm getting stellar performance from carbine system.

It's the rifle legnth adjustments that got me thinking is there room for improvment on carbine legnth.

Edited by biglou13

Hey BigLou......on the AWLR (adjustable light weight rifle) buffer. The intent of the spacers is to further reduce the pre-load of the rifle recoil spring. What a lot of people fail to understand when going with a lightened mass is that if you keep your stock recoil spring in place......the speed of the BCG increases upon going back into battery.

I've told people that really, you want that recoil spring to be as light as possible as this will reduce the 'return' speed......adjusting your gas system down will only help in reduce the speed of the BCG for recoil (primary) only. Soooooo.....Tim, are you crazy, you can't go super light on the recoil spring, you will destroy the system and kill someone!! I further clarify that the recoil spring HAS to be able to strip the 1st round out a FULL 30 round magazine and go into battery. I'm pretty sure that a carbine spring on a TACCOM rifle buffer (ALWR or ULWR) will not do that. So you will need to use a rifle recoil spring with the rifle buffer. Going 10% down is not a bad idea. Now......to further reduce the pre-load of the rifle recoil spring you can remove the aluminum spacers on the ALWR. I suggest to customers......start with no spacers. Make sure that your gas is infact turned off. the first thing you will want to see, before any shooting happens is.......can I strip a round off a FULL 30 round magazine and will that round go into battery. If you can...woo hoo, you have the lightest possible USEABLE set up for your recoil spring. If that does not happen, add a spacer and repeat. So now you can start shooting from a totally shut off gas system and adjust the gas until you get bolt hold open.

And THAT.....will give you an excellent, inexpensive, light, soft recoil.

As for the Delrin moving against the metal tube.......no worries, I pretty much doubt that you will live long enough to EVER wear that out...... And just an FYI......IF the delrin ever did wear down to the OD of the spring, it would STILL be 100% safe to operate.

Edited by TRUBL

Thanks Tim. ( who IS taccom)

I bought and properly tuned rifle legnth system. For minimum energy to strip round from loaded mag, and lock bolt forward....

I have 2 rifles 1 carbine, one rifle legnth. Both with adjustable gas, both with appropriate taccom buffer system. Both tuned per directions.

My question is is there a similar system, with light weight buffer spring and aluminum spacers. Made for cabine legnth? I would like to tune the forward movement of BCG on carbine legnth like I did with rifle legnth.....???

I really appreciate being able to consult the expert/ company owner/ representative !!!!

The carbine system, unlike the rifle system uses all the available space on the buffer for the spring so we couldn't make the ALW for that. About the only thing you could do, and I'm not ever going to recommend it (meaning that you are on your own), is to take the 10% reduce carbine spring and start clipping coils. You'd probably end up buying 2 springs as the first one will be clipped too far.

Tim

The carbine system, unlike the rifle system uses all the available space on the buffer for the spring so we couldn't make the ALW for that. About the only thing you could do, and I'm not ever going to recommend it (meaning that you are on your own), is to take the 10% reduce carbine spring and start clipping coils. You'd probably end up buying 2 springs as the first one will be clipped too far.

Tim

I'll take that as "not advice".

thanks for the info!!!!

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/28/2016 at 10:16 AM, TRUBL said:

Tim

To minimize possibility of having to buy another spring  I backed the buffer tube out about 3 turns and clip 1/2 coil at a time.  When the bolt finally does not lock up completely after stripping a round off a full mag (from releasing the bcg using the bolt release or from pulling the charging handle all the way back and releasing with muzzle pointing up), I then can basically screw the buffer tube back in the 3 turns to the locked position and gain about a coil of the recoil spring back. The bolt consistently locks stripping from a full mag however there is very little spring tension pushing the bcg forward and i have to be very careful when chambering a round by using the bolt release or making sure I have the CH fully pulled back and release cleanly.  Otherwise the bolt may not lock and become a problem since the AIM light weight bcg I'm using does not have forward assist serrations.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/28/2016 at 11:16 AM, TRUBL said:

Tim

Newbie here but really interested in the Taccom.  Will any carbine length spring work with these buffers?  

On 7/31/2016 at 10:09 AM, mostholycerebus said:

Tim, do you see any benefit to developing the TacCom buffer system for the A5 receiver extension?

I bought a couple of the Taccom rifle length ULW buffers and trimmed them down to the correct length for use in the A5 tube.  They work perfectly.  

Edited by Mike9250