Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is Too Much Crimp Dangerous?

Cuz

I'm using Lee dies in a Dillon 550B press,

165 gr West Coast plated RNFP bullets.

Firearm: Para Ordnance P16.40 LDA.

It seems that the only way I can stop the bullets from receeding .005 into the case during feeding is to crimp down to .415. Is this dangerous? Based on info gathered from this site I'm using an OAL of 1.150.

With a standard crimp of .422 the ammo feeds fine in my Glock M23, but receeds .005 each time it is fed from the magazine into the chamber of my Para. As an experiment I cranked the Lee Factory Crimp Die down about two full turns so the crimped round measures .415 at the case mouth. Then I cycled it into the chamber a few times and the OAL didn't change! This is the first time I've gotten a case to stay the same length during feeding, and that includes factory ammo.

My concern now is if I'm using either of the following loads is it dangerous?

7.3 gr. Power Pistol, or

5.2 gr. Tite-Group

I'm looking for something that comes close to 165 PF based on load book data.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

-Cuz.

• 2 weeks later...
It seems that the only way I can stop the bullets from receeding .005 into the case during feeding is to crimp down to .415.  Is this dangerous?  Based on info gathered from this site I'm using an OAL of 1.150. 

You need to re-evaluate your brass life. Case tension retains the bullet, not crimp except in your extream case........

Dangerous? Not the crimp.....but I bet your cutting into those plated bullets mighty well which will make them tumble like hell in poly barreled guns.

TR

It seems to me that the chief culprit here is your Para. (Apparently the Glock feeds the ammo just fine.) You state that even factory ammo gets compressed on feeding. Clearly, I don't think the ammo is the problem.

My first recommendation would be to check the dimensions of the feed lips on your Para magazines. If they are too tight, then the rounds will nose dive somewhat at first causing them to strike the feed ramp of the barrel too hard. This, I think, is the most likely root cause of your "shrinking bullets". If it's not the magazines, then try looking at the feed ramp ... Is there anything impeding the path of the round as it goes into battery? I think you can see where I'm going.

My recommendation ... Look at fixing the Para (or its magazines.) If you're comfortable doing this, great. Otherwise find a good gunsmith who can trouble shoot it for you. (Make sure to give him all the magazines with the gun, and maybe a sample of ammo with a normal crimp.) After its retuned, go back to a more "normal" crimp on your ammo. I believe you'll find this a happier place to be!

Cheers!

5.7 gr of Titegroup seems a bit much. I make pf out of my 5" SV with 4.7 gr of the same powder. You might want to crono those rounds and see if you can come down a bit on the powder charge.

Dave

correct me guys if i'm wrong ok....if i'm not mistaken i think the glock chamber is quite bigger than a para's chamber thus making the shells (from glock)more expanded compared to a shell from the para. but i could be wrong.....thanks

on a round that headspaces on the case mouth, crimping them will cause accuracy to suffer.

you should be just turning the flare around. if you have the right expander,(should be under bullet dia) the case mouth tension should hold the bullet snug, not the crimp.

a deformed bullet, and a round that doesnt headspace right is going to cause accuracy to suck at best...

i also dont see this as a problem unless you chamber and eject live rounds to an obscene amount..

the only time i eject live rounds is at the unload and show clear command.

on a round that headspaces on the case mouth, crimping them will cause accuracy to suffer.

you should be just turning the flare around. if you have the right expander,(should be under bullet dia) the case mouth tension should hold the bullet snug, not the crimp.

a deformed bullet, and a round that doesnt headspace right is going to cause accuracy to suck at best...

i also dont see this as a problem unless you chamber and eject live rounds to an obscene amount..

the only time i eject live rounds is at the unload and show clear command.

Ditto

I would think that the culprit might be over expansion. I would try expanding a little less and then running the test.