Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How Practice In A Small Indor Range?

Hi!!

I really apreciate tips to my practice in a small indoor range.

I found a Range a few minutes of my Work Place, and i can practice in my Lunch hour.

I´m thinking in something about 200 rounds, and practice precision, precision, precision, precision and fast shooting.

thanks

bye,

I tape 6 eight inch paper plates to a large silhouette target spaced as far apart as possible and then run the target out as far as possible. Then I practice one shot draws, picking up the gun and one shot, one shot reload one shot, etc...

Nolan

Hi Luiz Cesar!

My sugestion:

Give your self a challenger:

Put there 6 plates (paper made pherhaps..)

Draw and Hit one shot each, at a time (for example 6 secs..)

When you reach this, go to 5,5 secs

and so on...

You will be stoped in your own skill limit...

So, try to go beyond it!

Its amazing, develop precision and what you need to do, to be faster and faster, but inside your skill level at that moment. Seems to be easy, but isn´t !

Um forte abraço!

Ramos

• 1 month later...

Heh -- I saw this, this morning, and decided to try it at the range. On the Sierra website, there's a bit better explanation:

http://www.sierrafirearms.com/Dot%20drill.htm

*Damn* that's a tough un. I tried three times, burning up most of a pack of those "See and Shoot" 3" target stickers, and can't say I shot it clean, once. :(

I'd get impatient, and rush.

You might be able to aim off to either side of "your" target at an indoor range, and then practice transitioning from that other lane [where you don't fire a shot] and onto your target [where you do fire a shot]. Depends: other people might see you and possibly get aggrevated. If no one else cares, it's a good drill.

Start to use a timer on your transitions. The standard black circle bullseye target at 15 yards is great for this - they give me one every time at my range anyway.

If no one is shooting on either side of you, you might even get away with firing into the backstop to the left or right of your target one or two shots and then coming into your target one or two shots.

I practice multiple targets on one backer - small paper plates or scraps of paper - at about 5-7 yards. But it's easy to let your vision get sloppy at that distance so try to go back out to one or two plates at 15 yards before you run out of ammo.

I've been practicing at an indoor range for the last two or more years. The target carriers go back 50 feet from the firing line. Over time, I've developed a relationship with the owner so I'm now able to work for a couple hours before the range opens. Im able to set up targets down range and practice in front of the line. Prior to that I had to make do with a lane or two. So here's what I do. I had a number of drills, most of which are stright forward.

Bill Drills: 6 shots into an 8" target at 21' hopefully under 2 sec. (really useful for trigger speed).

Mini El Prez: 3 targets on the carrier, 2 shots on each, reload, 2 shots again on each (with or without the turn) (7 sec.).

Drawn taps x2: Draw from the holster, 2 shots, reholster (do this till your sick).

Reload drills: Load as many mags as you have with three rounds each. Draw and fire x2, reload, fire x2, reload, etc., until you've used up the mags.

Look up the IDPA classifier (idpa.com) and scale it down for the range. All the stages use three targets.

To practice poppers I put as many targets on a hanger as I could manage, draw and fire one shot at each at max distance (poppers are rarely close).

These are just some suggestions. Be creative and don't get in a rut. Change things up as much as you can. Work on that relationship with the owner and the workers. I don't know what your range rules are like. I've been to some that don't allow "Rapid Fire." It can be a problem but I've also found that if you don't shoot the place up and appear to know what you're doing, I've never been asked to stop. At some point you'll want to invest in a shot timer but that can be tricky indoors because of the echos and is difficult with more than one other shooter on the range. Also, with all of the drills, mix up the sequence that you shoot the targets in. Don't always go left to right, right to left. Shoot them in different orders as much as possible. Most important, focus on the fundamentals. Your drills are going to be fairly simple so keep your focus on the mechanics of your draws/reloads, getting your eyes ahead of the sights, trigger control, etc.

Have fun, be safe.

Brian