Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AMSEC safe help!

I think the solenoid on my safe is warn out :(

I have an American Security Products 14 gun safe which is roughly 24 years old. The manual dial wore out 5 years ago so I replaced it with a digital keypad; last week I couldn't get the safe open so I changed the batteries, but it didn't help. I pushed on the door and realized the little plastic bolts which stop the door had backed out and didn't give the door enough play to clear the bolts. I beat the door until I crushed the plastic, the door opened, problem solved. I put new stops it and glued them in place. The safe worked like normal for a week, but now won't open again?!?

There's plenty of play it the door, the batteries are fresh, it just sounds like the solenoid is too weak to clear the lock. Anyone else ever experienced this?

I can imagine a non-destructive way to fix this problem, do I need to pay a locksmith to drill the safe, then buy a new one???

I wish I could help. My Amsec is bout 5 years old with electronic lock. I had issues for several months where it would beep after entering the code, but the solenoid appeared weak, as you described. Changing batteries did not appear to help, but I did it anyway. Sometimes I would have to try it 4-5 times before it would open. I feared it was going to lock me out one day. Anyway, for unknown reasons, it hasn't done it again, 6 months or so anyways. I'm usually in it once a week, sometimes several times per week. I'd call a safe guy and run it by him. Also, I think the manufacturer is still in Fontana. They might have a recommendation. Good luck!

So 19 years on the manual unit vs. 5 on the electronic? I know which way I'd go..... :-)

The manual lock only saw daily use 1992-1997, then sat more or less unused until 2010, so I'd say digital and dial saw about the same number of openings.

After cleaning and tinkering with the solenoid mechanism I feel pretty confident the solenoid is no good; I don't have much experience with them, so maybe someone who does can explain how a solenoid goes bad???

When I point the plunger down (the orientation in the safe) it seems like the solenoid is too weak to pick up the plunger, then pointer up with gravity to help it works fine.

So 19 years on the manual unit vs. 5 on the electronic? I know which way I'd go..... :-)

The manual lock only saw daily use 1992-1997, then sat more or less unused until 2010, so I'd say digital and dial saw about the same number of openings.

Ah. I'd probably still consult a locksmith; then again I've happily dialed in a combination for 13 years or so now....

Still -- keypad = convenience; if I got a second safe I'd probably go that route, and split the contents out fairly evenly, i.e carry gun in each, competition gun in each, etc.

I am (was) an electrical engineer by trade. I have a mechanical lock on my safe ;)

Later,

Chuck

PS: I remember a funny thread on CalGuns where some SHTF preppers came to realize that after the nuclear apocalypse, they would not be able to open their safes due to EMP taking out the locks...

After cleaning and tinkering with the solenoid mechanism I feel pretty confident the solenoid is no good; I don't have much experience with them, so maybe someone who does can explain how a solenoid goes bad???

When I point the plunger down (the orientation in the safe) it seems like the solenoid is too weak to pick up the plunger, then pointer up with gravity to help it works fine.

A break in the circuit, or shorted winding. It's an inductor so it can only fail if there is no path for current flow or a shortened path. Yours sounds like a shorted winding. The moving core could be mechanically failing somehow depending on how it is linked, whether it is exposed, what it is exposed to i.e. contamination, etc. 5 years is pretty poor for a solenoid.