Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Clays Or Titegroup For 45 Acp.

gravedigger

Not sure about accuracy (both seemed fine to me; old .45 ACP STI Edge) but straight Clays ran MUCH cleaner at the shotgun-like low pressure generated by the .45. Indoors, Clays sounds much softer than TG though in reality, recoil seemed the same if the velocity & bullet weight were the same (same split times).

Titegroup works fine as to consistency as measured on the crono, but it leaves black soot in the gun & down one side of every fired case. TG also seems to burn hotter than clays - makes sence considering the nitro content.

D.C. Johnson

Thanks guys i have tried the 230gr FMJ with 4.0 gr clays very smooth,but what looks like lots of flash.

I noticed this too. Indoors Clays produces a bluish white flash with sparks. It took just a little getting used to, then it was no problem.

Observers like it if I go nuts with a split - two flashes together!

I don't think I'd use Clays if doing very low light things.

• 3 weeks later...
clays is the winner for me...4.0 and 230 grian FMJ..

nice, soft and clean

i dont notice any flashes in the daytime...is this a nitetime/dusk event? :huh:

I didn't notice too much flamage with this load either Harmon but it has a very wierd recoil feel to me. More like a rolling recoil than a snappy. I like the snappy.

Parajoe

• 2 weeks later...

I just tried 4.0 grains of clays behind a 230gr LRN this evening in my 625

Didnt chrono them, they felt good, but looked like I was firing a blackpowder pistol :blink:

Not sure if I like clays or not, If I cant clear up the smoke, Im going back to titegroup

I load both VV310 & CLAYS in .45. CLAYS is more dirty than VV310. Especially in the barrel. Maybe a little more smoke w/CLAYS but not much.

IMHO recoil is about the same w/230 FMJ.

I use Titegroup in 9mm and it has been OK but again more dirty than VV powers. Havent tried Titegroup in .45.

Try using something other than a lead bullet. Jacketed or plated will help with the smoke quite a bit. I am planning on making the switch to Clays in the next few weeks, from Vit N310.

I have been using 4.6gr titegroup behind a zero 230gr FMJ, that load feels good in my 625 goes out at 740 avg. from my 5" 625 and didnt smoke.

I have no choice but to use lead right now, its a cost thing until I can find me a new job......40.00 per 1000 is better than 76.00, LOL

I will load some LRN's up with some titegroup see if its any less smoke, whichever I choose I need to get a new load worked up quick and get a few shot before this weekend to be able to shoot at the ohio match.

• 2 weeks later...
I noticed this too. Indoors Clays produces a bluish white flash with sparks. It took just a little getting used to, then it was no problem.

I had a bottle of clays that shot sparks that looked like a roman candle, then I bought a 8# jug, and no sparks, I think it was a bad run or something, I find clays very clean, a bit stout on the recoil

Some of the guys I shoot with have changed to ramshot silhouette, they make power factor with less recoil, I just picked up a pound today at a gun show and will work up a load over the next week or two, I use 185 swc bushwhackers, and no matter what powder I have used I get smoke due to the lube burning

• 3 weeks later...

My favorite .45 ACP load for 165PF is:

4.0gr Clays powder

230gr CMJ Montana Gold bullet

Winchester large pistol primer

~1.255 OAL

~0.469 crimp

This load makes about 170PF in my 5" 1911's. Soft, clean, and accurate enough for IDPA/USPSA. I haven't found a load that was better enough to switch.