Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How To Retrieve The Stainless Steel Ball

Its really hard to get a search down in the hole, and it wont get the ball back out. But if you do one it will give you a bunch of ways to get it out. But I went this far so I might as well tell you that most hardware stores sell little magnets that look like a ball point pen, usefull for all kinds of stuff. That magnitzed screwdriver works pretty good too.----Larry

If you're talking about the hole where the bolt that holds the shellplate screws into, it's easy. Get a 1911 recoil spring and stick it down the hole. It'll spread just enough to capture the ball. And yes, I learned this the hard way. :D

Thanks. My Mechanical couldn't think to take off the die plate and stick a magnetic screw driver in the hole until he decided to switch calibers between 2 machines and notice the straight shot into the hole when he took out die holder. Can you say maroon? I thought you could. The translation of my name in German is "last one in tribe to learn to use tool"

I just happen to have this gadget in my computer tool kit. It is supposed to pick up small pieces you drop into a PC I suppose but in 15 years I never needed it until this happened with my 650. It looks like a syringe, but it has three wires which bend in toward the center and extend from the body when you push the plunger. This thing must have a name! Anyway, it works great and every press should have one.

Magnet.....Sure ....Easy!

But what about one of those "Brass" locator pins?

And while I on the subject

I remember reading about some kind of "tab" that you put under the head of the " Numbered, caliber specific, locator pin" around the shaft and between the head and the shellplate platform

To keep you from "dropping" the sucker in the first place!

Where can you get these?

or

Do you have to make them?

renaissance needs to know!