Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Weak hand only

johnbu

Shot a match last weekend, did good until the last stage... a classifier needing SHO AND WHO. Tossed out 2 D and 4 M, on it.

Practiced WHO dryfire, today did live fire. Shot 3 targets, 2 in each at 15yds. Did STRONG hand only and was 6A. I pasted one then thought to take the picture.

20160615_160810_zpssu0gxsek.jpg

Did 6 weak hand and C, d and m showed up. Shot a total of 76 weak hand only. To mark the M's I put a paster on the green tape.

20160615_163256_zps8g205rs4.jpg

th_20160615_163256_zps8g205rs4.jpg

Yep, pulled (pushed?) Everything to the right shooting left hand only. Too much finger on the trigger or just not enough trigger time?

Edited by johnbu

Dry fire is showing a "4 finger" trigger pull just at the break. Not everytime, but undoubtedly was while live firing. Left hand brain control needs programming!

Edited by johnbu

Live fired a small amount while evaluating new tanfo specific springs. Did a mag of 17 and a mag of 6 weak hand only ALL in DA for each shot using a stronger hammer spring than normal. Happily I was able to bring the holes to center with better trigger control! Yeah, slower than a snail but I'm beginning to understand a slow A/C or D beats a fast M.

Posted this picture in another related thread.

20160620_163012_zpstvxspibv.jpg

All holes were made firing DA ONLY. Left target is left hand only, right target is right hand only and center target was both hands on gun. All DAO at the same 17yd distance.

Rate of fire single hand was very slow decocking after every shot. Did that way to force more concentration on linear finger motions.

Left still needs work, that finger....just not well trained !

What does weak hand single action look like?

Was going to do that today when an angry mob of blood sucking mosquitoes were occupying the range ahead of me.

Hopefully tomorrow will be windier !

I think right now it will vary from good to crappy with rate of fire. There is a tendency to hurry up and technique goes to heck.

Edited by johnbu

I know that I am new here, but something that I found awhile back when searching this topic that has helped considerably with my one hand shooting is pressing my non shooting hand fist into the middle of my chest when shooting one handed. You are probably already doing this but I have been using this technique lately and has really improved my WHO control. And of course slowing down a bit to concentrate on trigger control.

I'm consistently inconsistent on the unused hand position. If it's a draw and one hand shoot, it dangles. If it's reload -> one hand shoot, it's on my chest. Not even sure why I do that, it just is.

Right now, fighting to take the time to aim and smoothly fire is yielding the most improvement. Maybe eventually the correct positions will help too.

Put sights in the A zone. Keep them there until you break the shot. Try something. Seriously, this will prove invaluable: prop your phone up on a barrel and take a video of yourself.

Don't do the first string blazing fast. Do it at the speed you did in the match. The one where you were focused on shooting fast, and dropped lots of points. Do it just like a match. From the holster, SA on every shot besides the initial DA. Then film a second video shooting briskly, not lethargically. Your focus is on shooting all A's and permitting 1 or 2 C's at the very most.

Watch them. Although human nature will be to read, nod, say "I know this" and move on other things, I really hope you actually do this exercise.

What will surprise you is that run #2 will be much much closer to the speed of run #1 than you think it is. Than it feels like it is. It feels like run #2 is three times slower, when in reality you'll typically add a couple of seconds to the raw time... and make it up twice over in points.

You need to learn to trust your sights and ignore your perception of things being fast or slow while you shoot.

That's a lesson we all learn at the beginning: Take the time you need to take to get your points, and minimize time wasted doing everything else that isn't trigger pressing. Your goal is to learn to shoot faster with more accuracy than you currently have, yes. But not at this stage in the game. Learn that good points aren't negotiable in a good run. They're mandatory. We're trying to keep the points as close to perfect as we can, while always striving to become faster.

Right now you are in the speed versus accuracy trap... "fast weakhand with crappy hits vs slow weak hand with good ones" is the tone of your first post.

A better mindset is "I have to have the points.. How do I practice and what techniques do I use to get them faster?"

Edited by MemphisMechanic

^ good advice. (Thanks) Will try and incorporate and rig up a way to film the shooting. I'm assuming film of whole body, or more upper body only? Not sure which would be more beneficial.

• 2 weeks later...

I have two stories involving Mike Seeklander and Taran Butler.

I was at Nationals in PASA shooting the Standards stage. I was next to Mike and notice his incredible aggressive stance. I started emulating it and it improve WH/SH shooting.

I was at Taran's range getting some advice. I hold the gun straight up, no canting. Taran suggested I aim for the A zone edge of the target-left handed, sight on the left edge and vice versa. He said most people have a tendency to push their trigger slightly. At 20-25 yards this puts me in the A zone every time.

I followed up these techniques with a lot of .22 practice. I have access to a 4 inch .22 plate rack. It is brutal and totally unforgiving. One year at Area 2 I was tied for 11th on their standards stage. I still practice on the .22 plate rack. When I come to a WH/SH stage I know I will do well. At least WH/SH, freestyle is another story.

Visual patience is a key factor.

We had a stage at our last match that was 30 steel, shot from specific color boxes. The last two sets of 3 targets were strong hand only and weak hand only. It required some serious focus after all the running around to settle down for those weak hand shots.