Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why does a rifle change zero?

1chota

Thread Titles

When starting a new thread, please use descriptive words in the thread’s Title. For example: Use –

"Failure To Extract in .40 caliber single stack"

Instead of –

"Has anyone seen this?" (Title)

Stock warpage due to humidity changes has created pressure on barrel or caused action mounting hardware torque values to change

Ammo or environmental conditions in which ammo is shot is not exactly the same as 6 months ago when the rifle was placed in the safe

One or more potential modes of failure in optic mounted on rifle

Scope bases or rings have come loose or shifted

Because of global warming......it warps the mounts! We can stop this if we can only stop all development of the human race! Feel the Bern!!! :)

Or your eyes are changing, or the ammo is different, or the sun is in a different part of the sky....... or as I like to say "there is magic in optics that I don't understand, therefore they are evil". God loves drunks, 3-gunners, and Iron sight shooters!...... hey I finally qualify for all 3 :lol:

My 30-06 was sighted in for years - glass bedded.

Got a 140 yard shot at a red stag, and the bullet hit one foot higher

than I aimed.

The 2nd shot I fired at the stag hit him 2" away from the first bullet,

in his spinal column.

Never figured out how that happened, but glad it wasn't 15" high.

• 3 weeks later...

Since we don't know how far you are shooting... its likely that the action shifted in the bedding depending on how it was sitting in the safe provided its not environmental or ammunition. Consider that you can some off the 1K line in the morning and a few hours later, in what appears to be the same conditions your zero can be 1-2 MOA off for elevation at 1K due to temperature, humidity or other conditions not including wind.