Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Most fun AR caliber

steviesterno

I would say that if you can run it in a pistol, you can run it in a 9mm AR, "major" loads that is. You may need to go with a slightly heavier buffer and/or spring to deal with increased bolt velocity in the blowback guns, but that is certainly do-able.

Just a word of caution with this- most 9mm ARs do not have a locked breach. Most "9mm Major" pistol loads use very slow burning powders. This can (and has) resulted in case head separations. I would work up a load carefully, and not just assume a PCC will handle it because an Open gun will.

I built some hot loads for my PCC with Bullseye powder and a 125gr bullet. They go over the chrono right at 200PF. I have had 2 case head seperations. I have now gone through the 200 or so I have left and pulled all the ones with the crimp ring on the brass.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say that if you can run it in a pistol, you can run it in a 9mm AR, "major" loads that is. You may need to go with a slightly heavier buffer and/or spring to deal with increased bolt velocity in the blowback guns, but that is certainly do-able.

Just a word of caution with this- most 9mm ARs do not have a locked breach. Most "9mm Major" pistol loads use very slow burning powders. This can (and has) resulted in case head separations. I would work up a load carefully, and not just assume a PCC will handle it because an Open gun will.
I built some hot loads for my PCC with Bullseye powder and a 125gr bullet. They go over the chrono right at 200PF. I have had 2 case head seperations. I have now gone through the 200 or so I have left and pulled all the ones with the crimp ring on the brass.

The faster the powder likely the more you can get away with. My friend had separations around 180 pf with his typical Open HS6 load. Slow powders with long barrels in a straight blowback gun is asking for trouble.

200 with a 125 would put you right at the 1600 fps limit.

The faster the powder likely the more you can get away with. My friend had separations around 180 pf with his typical Open HS6 load. Slow powders with long barrels in a straight blowback gun is asking for trouble.

200 with a 125 would put you right at the 1600 fps limit.

Those are not match rounds. Those are for seeing what kind of accuracy I can get at longer than USPSA distances. I'm going to back them down a bit with the velocity. My load for competition is going to be a 125gr bullet at 132-134PF using AA#2.

I have had no problems at all with 115s at 1625fps. In matches, I am shooting 124s at about 1150.

I am not saying it can't be done, not by a long shot. Just that loads should be worked up, and to take into account the relative masses, spring weights, barrel lengths and powders used.

My comment on this thread was just to caution people that just throwing your Open load into a blowback gun might not be the best idea.

I have had no problems at all with 115s at 1625fps. In matches, I am shooting 124s at about 1150.

I am not saying it can't be done, not by a long shot. Just that loads should be worked up, and to take into account the relative masses, spring weights, barrel lengths and powders used.

My comment on this thread was just to caution people that just throwing your Open load into a blowback gun might not be the best idea.

Yes, and I concur.

I have tried to answer this question all day and I think "my favorite" is that I don't have to pick just one.

I really like my .450Bushmaster and my .450Corvette, as well as the 6.5PCC and the .22LR. The KelTec Sub2000 cured me of the want of a 9mm AR.

Please tell us more about your experience with the 6.5 PCC. What length barrel did you purchase and what powders & projectiles have you used? Do you hunt with it & what distances have you tested the accuracy to?

.22 LR would allow more times and places where I could shoot it - and there's Practical matches for them in my corner of the world.

If I wanted a centerfire rifle, some .300BLK derivative with rifling twist optimized for supersonic bullets would work: I don't have many opportunities to shoot beyond 300 meters and I don't plan to hunt anything big.

• 2 weeks later...