Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Caspian Mags

Putty

Was wondering why the new Caspian Mags are already generating a high interest. Quality? (As per someones recommendations to wait to build a new gun until the new caspian mags are out.)

Interest is that people want to build on Caspian frames.

Caspian produces a great product and if they can introduce 140mm and 170mm 38 super/9mm mags and 140mm 40S&W mags..it would be great to have more choices in building..

Right now most of the attention is the 40 limited gun..the mags when tuned right will give you 20+1 reloadable mags..and the success of TT.

Are their frames going to be a step above in quality compared to others?

I think Caspian as well as the S_I frames are all high quality, but the Caspians give you another option. Instead of the modular frame of the S_I guns, Caspians are either all steel or titanium. To me they also have a very different feel in my hand. Also due to difference in materiels, the weight is different. Some may think that one has better quality than the other, but I think any such difference is insignificant. The bigger factor for me is it is another choice from the others.

Attila's post matches my own understanding - they're on par w/ S_I frames, just feel different. Capactities are basically the same between them all, now, so it's basically a matter of what you like.

I've been told by Rusty Kidd, and by a couple of shooters I knew who shot Caspian frames, that the Caspian's cast frame will tend to loosen up more quickly than an S_I frame. The recommendation was to chrome the frame to prevent that behavior. I don't have any direct experience with this, and YMMV... I don't see this as a big deal, personally....

I have three Caspian framed blasters, 1 in 38 super 6 port hybrid,1 in 9 major and 1 in 9 minor.20 Caspian 38/9 mags. I can use any mag I have in any one of the guns and it works. No fancy tunning,mag pads or followers.

It seams that the S-I mags have big problems if they are not tunned.

The Caspian Hi-Cap frame was specifically designed for a High Capacity .38 Super. The goal was to make a frame that was the thinest possible but still be able to have the Maximum number of rounds.

I just like the feel of a Caspian Hi-cap. For me it is the closest I can get to the feel of a 1911, which in my opinion is the perfect fit.

Also it is always a good thing to have multiple choices for all.

Alan

• 1 year later...

A ray of hope....

At the Nats I grabbed TT and spoke to the folks at SPS about making tubes and complete mags for the caspian. We are sending them a mag to see if they can copy it. The details are in the feed lips.

I told them we need .40 tubes in 140 and "standard" length, and .38 / 9mm tubes in 140 and 170 length.

Keep your fingers crossed.

T....get me that mag.