Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Where to shoot Steel Challenge and Rimfire Challenge

Bruce Warren

Here in Michigan there are 2 clubs that shoot SC once a month and 1 club that shoots a major Rimfire Challenge a year.

I would love to find more of both but who knows were to find them and sign up for them

NSSF lists them but nothing in the Michigan, Indiana, Ohio, Illinois, Kentucky,areas. Same for the Steel Challenge site.

I'd like to shoot any Steel Challenge state matches I can find as well as Rimfire Challenge.

Any ideas on how to find them?

Maybe try combing through the Practiscore results on the PS website. You can find many different matches that don't report back to SCSA, USPSA, etc. I found a few clubs in my area that shoot outlaw matches and don't advertise anywhere but will welcome new shooters.

That's the best idea. A lot of info mining can be done off Practiscore, the SCSA match results list, and a couple of Practiscore competitors.

I told Cole at PNTC that he should go and try to make a deal with the USPSA people to sanction their SC matches and so it looks like that will happen before the year is out. In spite of the fact that they opted out of the USPSA matches they held. No SC match in June at PNTC due to the WV IDPA Championship match being that weekend. Will resume on 1st Saturday in July I think.

• 4 weeks later...

I talked to Steel Challenge and they said they only list major matches. Now, having said that I have had best results finding matches by google searches. I put in the largest city name, steel challenge, practical shooting, range. Then email the contact person on any pertinent web sites. If your search returns a IDPA club, email and ask about steel, if it returns a rifle match, email and ask about steel challenge in the area. My best intel has come from other shooters.

I hope that helps.

If you can make it down here to north Alabama in October, the Cavern Cove Shooting Range is hosting the NSSF World Rimfire Championship...Oct 15 & 16, 2016. There is a thread here on Enos for it.

We also shoot monthly 2-gun Rimfire on first Saturday of the month and Steel challenge type (centerfire/rimfire) matches on the 4th Saturday of the month.

Edited by Mark R

That doesn't make sense. Clubs can go on the steel challenge web site and list their matches. I have all of mine through 2015 listed there. This includes our monthly club match and our annual state championship match.

• 2 weeks later...

When are you going to start registrations for state Zack? Also, have you heard any more about the Area 6 SC match?

That doesn't make sense. Clubs can go on the steel challenge web site and list their matches. I have all of mine through 2015 listed there. This includes our monthly club match and our annual state championship match.

Edited by wyliearms

When are you going to start registrations for state Zack? Also, have you heard any more about the Area 6 SC match?

Middle of this month. I'll be sending out an email with the link, etc. Area 6 SC match is tentatively scheduled for late May 2017 at the CMP Range in Alabama.