Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How long does a 1911 stay accurate?

sn0wflake

Hi guys. I have a question. I wonder for how long a custom fit, lets say as good as it gets fit gun stay accurate?

Lets say it started out as a 1 inch gun at 25m or 2 at 50. How long could you expect this kind of accuracy?

Also is it different for 9mm and 45?

I have a feeling the better quality parts going into the build the longer it will stay accurate. Talking steel quality and ht processes and tolerances and such.

Also lets say I got a SA that does 2inch at 50m and an Infinity that does the same and a Ruger SR1911 (lets just pretend the Ruger came that way from the factory). Would one stay accurate longer than the other?

I have read Jerry Kuhnhausens book so I'm not totally out of the loop about how it works. But still I'd like first hand experiences.

Also a bonus question... :) would a Sig x5 for example stay accurate longer than an SVI for example? What can be expected of an x5? there is no bushing on an x5 how do you "reaccurize" those when they are not shooting well anymore?

Snowflake, I thought you are from Norway or Sweden? the Swedish top PPC shooter Thomas Svensson has a ray pulver barrel in his X6 and with that barrel his X6 is a sub inch pistol on 50m, with the original barrel he was not that satisfied...

my Les Baer PII hard chrome is still verry tight after 15000 rounds of soft 200gr loads.

I have a friend with a verified 300,000+ through an AMT longslide hardballer. He's replaced the barrel at least 3 times, and everytime he replaces the barrel, he replaces the bushing, whether it needs it or not...The gun still shoots straight and true, but it won't eject anymore...On the AMT hardballers, the ejector is part of the frame, and can't be replaced...and he has worn it down to a nub...

it started out as a 1 inch gun at 25m. How long could you expect this kind of accuracy?

Probably depends on how old you were when you started getting 1" groups at 25 yards .... :roflol:

At 71, I can't remember the last time I shot that tight a group. :blush:

But seriously, I would imagine that you would lose accuracy with any gun, and it would

be slower in a well-made, tight gun than a gun of less quality.

But, probably depend on each individual gun ... :cheers:

Snowflake, I thought you are from Norway or Sweden? the Swedish top PPC shooter Thomas Svensson has a ray pulver barrel in his X6 and with that barrel his X6 is a sub inch pistol on 50m, with the original barrel he was not that satisfied...

my Les Baer PII hard chrome is still verry tight after 15000 rounds of soft 200gr loads.

edited: thats interesting.

Edited by sn0wflake

it started out as a 1 inch gun at 25m. How long could you expect this kind of accuracy?

Probably depends on how old you were when you started getting 1" groups at 25 yards .... :roflol:

At 71, I can't remember the last time I shot that tight a group. :blush:

But seriously, I would imagine that you would lose accuracy with any gun, and it would

be slower in a well-made, tight gun than a gun of less quality.

But, probably depend on each individual gun ... :cheers:

I mean mechanical accuracy or what the gun can perform at best. Its a theoretical question. I'm not a 1 inch shooter. I can get a few (1 or 2) 2 inch groups though every training at 25m. It requires my full concentration and usually I can't simply do it for more than 4 shots in a row unfortunately.

not sure I just gave my son my old Wilson LEK open 1911,(had it built in 87-88) had barrel cut back to 5 in (to remove comp) milled slide for a new dawson front sight, we took it to the range last night for the 1st time since putting it back together, put 8 rounds into 1 hole (about an inch) at 20 yards, this gun has well over 30k rounds over the years, I think if they are built well and taken care of a good gun will shoot well for years.

If you grease the slides and barrel feet and use a very high quality oil on the barrel and locking lugs, you should see about 100k before accuracy starts to noticably drop off. The barrel is what starts to go, so a well fit replacement should get it right back in the game.

Edited by co-exprs

The better a gun is fitted in the beginning the longer it will last. If it's fitted properly, and the timing is spot on and then is cleaned and lubed properly it will last a very long time.

eventually it will wear (after all most of these moving parts are metal on metal). What saves them is good grease/lube.

I'd agree with the others. Assuming the action is timed properly and fitted well the first thing to wear will be the barrel. After barrel wear would come the slide to frame fit. Along the way other small parts can wear too depending on what they are made out of and also how well they were fitted to each other.

Slide to frame fit is 2nd to a good barrel fit. Have had several colt 45's that had a loose slide but a match barrel fitted tight and shot great. As long as slide, barrel & sights are all fitted right, it will shoot. The bullet is long gone before slide or anything moves.

If you grease the slides and barrel feet and use a very high quality oil on the barrel and locking lugs, you should see about 100k before accuracy starts to noticably drop off. The barrel is what starts to go, so a well fit replacement should get it right back in the game.

The better a gun is fitted in the beginning the longer it will last. If it's fitted properly, and the timing is spot on and then is cleaned and lubed properly it will last a very long time.

eventually it will wear (after all most of these moving parts are metal on metal). What saves them is good grease/lube.

I'd agree with the others. Assuming the action is timed properly and fitted well the first thing to wear will be the barrel. After barrel wear would come the slide to frame fit. Along the way other small parts can wear too depending on what they are made out of and also how well they were fitted to each other.

I see, so there is no need to worry it goes bad after after a few k rounds.

I'm good with lubing things. I have access to whatever industrial lubes I want. For free too. I prefer molykote (have a 5kilo cannister at work) for pretty much everything metal on metal. I use this for everything, I just thin it down with motor oil to get the penetration/flow/thickness I need.

Into chains for example, since my molykote is a grease it wont go into chains by itself. I have a special kind that is made for roller bearings that is made for a one time lube and then it should last for the entire life of the bearing. Its very good imo.

I was thinking about getting a sig 226 slide/x5 short frame hybrid that comes that way from the factory and they guarantee 1,5 inches at 25m with good ammo. It was a special run. I was made with the 226 slide and its extractor for durability and dependability. its also production approved.

My second choice would be a 9mm infinity. Also that one was built for a company here so there is not choices for me to make as to customizing it, its already built, and in stock, and stock is running out. Thats ok with me though. Its probably very good as it is.

I just wanted to know, since I will be competing in accuracy biased competitions more than run n gun types. And i want a gun that will do both for at least 30-40k without no accuracy degradation.

I dont know about these things, so I ask. Maybe it was a stupid question, I dont know? But now I know how it works.

thanks you everybody that has responded.

Edited by sn0wflake

A well built infinity will certainly run more than 30k rounds before you'd need to worry about any kind of accuracy loss. Pistol barrels last a long time. It's hard to put an exact number on it but even after 50k it should shoot well.

It's only the poorly fitted guns that wear out quickly. As they have high spots in the fit. Those small points wear faster then the gun looses some accuracy.

Plus think of the cost of 50,000 rounds... Maybe $10,000 or more? By the time it gets to that point a few hundred $ on a new barrel is not so bad.

It's not a stupid question. Everyone comes here to learn something. :)

I had two factory Springfields that started loosing accuracy around 40k. I replaced the barrel on one but the other, around 65k now, is shooting about 8" groups at 25 yards. From the factory, it was around 4". My custom guns seem to lose accuracy at the same rate but just start around 2" versus 4".

Edited by Dirty Rod