Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

temp. and powder storage?

rustybayonet

The thread was goig about storage of powder and primer storage. My insurance has a limit on powder in the house, but not primers. I have detactched garage and since I store gas, it is already a fire hazzard, so technically I can store a lot of powder there. I live in Michigan and it gets cold, real cold. The question is will seal powder hold up?

This is of interest to me as well. I live in Minnesota. I have read many threads on powder storage and it always refers to a cool drive place out of direct sunlight. Heck, I think I remember reading a thread about a guy wanting to store powder submerged in a barrel.

I have a cabin in Wisconsin that is not heated from Late October through April 1st. I would like to move my Lee Classic Turret press to the cabin and bring reloading supplies.

Can powder be stored without degradation in an unheated structure in MN / WI ?

Thanks for the OP rusty.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by SwaneeSR

So are sub-freezing temperatures to be avoided when storing smokeless powder? How about -20 degF? How does the military deal with powder and ammunition storage for the cold temperatures.

Edited by SwaneeSR

I believe fluctuations between hot and sub-freezing are the worst. Unopened containers may last for decades even if conditions are not the best. I've had half empty containers stay good for many years in comfortable room temperatures.

I believe militaries tend to keep their long term storage somewhat stabilized. A few months in the cold will do no harm, as long as you keep your powder and primers dry.

I think you are correct. Wild swings of temperature not good especially into the hot Humid Summer. However, as long as I am using the ammunition and powder up at the pace I am now I should be ok to leave powder and equipment up there on the weekends.

So as far as the Rusty OP's post about storage of powder and primers in the unheated garage. I kind of agree with post #2 that it is not an ideal place for long-term storage because the the swings from cold into the hot.

Edited by SwaneeSR

Absent any other local codes, your amounts of smokeless powder, black powder, and primers fall under NFPA 495 Ch. 14. The NFPA codes are also known as "The National Fire Codes". If your locality does not have any other codes these are in effect. Many places adopt these with their own amendments. And just to confuse matters further, there are now the "International Fire Codes" that are adopted in whole or in part in many jurisdictions.

BP and SP ARE treated differently in the codes and for good reason. Smokeless is Ch. 14.3 and BP is Ch 14.4 and Primers are Ch. 14.5

Under the National codes you are allowed the following quantities in a residence for personal use:

Smokeless: Up to 20 lb.s if stored in original containers. Up to 50 lb.s if stored in original containers AND in a wooden box or cabinet with walls at least 1" thick.

Black Powder: Up to 20 lb.s if stored in original containers AND in a wooden box or cabinet having walls at least 1" thick.

Primers: 10,000

However, State, County, or Local ordinances may be more restrictive but can not be less restrictive. You can start by checking on line with your state Fire Marshal's office and see what the state level has. You can probably also find more info at the County website.

Absent any other local codes, your amounts of smokeless powder, black powder, and primers fall under NFPA 495 Ch. 14. The NFPA codes are also known as "The National Fire Codes". If your locality does not have any other codes these are in effect.

[semi-accurate information]

However, State, County, or Local ordinances may be more restrictive but can not be less restrictive. You can start by checking on line with your state Fire Marshal's office and see what the state level has. You can probably also find more info at the County website.

This is completely inaccurate. The NFPA publishes model codes that municipalities MAY adapt IF THEY CHOOSE to do so. If your municipality (or AHJ as anyone familiar with the NFPA would refer to the authority having jurisdiction) doesn't have any codes, then no codes are in effect. The NFPA is a trade association and has no ability to set rules or regulations at any level.

State, County, and Local ordinances can be as restrictive or unrestrictive as they want. Period.

Next you'll be telling me how if your house burns down and you have too much powder your insurance company will deny the claim.

Edited by peterthefish

No sir peterfish. I am not going to tell anyone how they should store reloading components. However, from the Alliant powder website.

10-3.7 Smokeless propellants intended for personal use in quantities not exceeding 20 lb (9.1 kg) may be stored in original containers in residences. Quantities exceeding 20 lb (9.1 kg), but not exceeding 50 lb (22.7 kg), may be stored in residences if kept in a wooden box or cabinet having walls or at least 1-inc. (25.4-mm) nominal thickness.

It would seem reasonable to store your powder in a cabinet away from primers and that is constructed not like a bomb, but like a wooden or light metal cabinet that has explosion relief or a way to direct gases in a safer direction.