Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shotgun-Reloading

ARES

Hello from Germany,

May I ask the experts in this forum some questions :

1. To reload 4 shells in a shotgun - is it faster to use a speed-loader or to do it by hand ?

2. What is the time difference (speed-loader versus hand) by reloading 4 shells ?

3. In which way you prepare your shotgun-speed-loader and the original plastic bracket so it works without problems ?

Thanks in advance for any response.

DVC

ARES

1) and 2) The speedloader is 2-3 seconds faster for me to load 4 shots.

3) some people drylube their plunger.  some people glue dowels to the plunger.  some people use custom brackets.

I hate shotgun speedloader but you've got to have them in open class or you're done.

Quote: from kellyn on 7:15 pm on Sep. 17, 2002

1) and 2) The speedloader is 2-3 seconds faster for me to load 4 shots.

3) some people drylube their plunger.  some people glue dowels to the plunger.  some people use custom brackets.

I hate shotgun speedloader but you've got to have them in open class or you're done.

@ kelly,

Me too - I hate shotgun speedloader !

My observations (and own experience) in several competitions is, that in most cases no competitor has a 100% success-rate by reloading his shotgun in a competition with this nice speedloaders - and by  throwing 4 shells into the grass you lose a lot of time.

By the way - when you load by hand, do you load single shell by single shell or 2 or 3 shells at a time ?

Welcome ARES! Good to hear from fellow IPSC shooters from around the globe.

As for modification of speedloaders, there was a small article in the USPSA magazine, Frontsite, regarding the use of wooden dowels glued to the inside of the "pusher" (for lack of another term) and the risk of the dowel igniting a primer - though I have never heard of that actually happening. I believe this common modification is an attempt to increase the regidity of the pusher.

Another difficulty with the speedloader is lack of regidity in the tube; a local Master (or GM - cannot remember which) who did well at the National 3 gun (he is also an officer on the tactical squad of a local PD) manufactures his own speedloader tubes on a metalworking lathe - he makes them from correct diameter PVC pipe with a slot milled longitudinaly and uses the standard Tec loader pusher; I believe he attaches a piece of milled alluminum for the lugs to engage the "ears" on the gun. There is much room for improvement in speedloader technology.  

Regards,

Douglas

ARES:

WHEN LOADING BY HAND MOST GUYS TRY TO GET 3 SHELLS IN HAND THEN LOAD ALL 3 INTO THE SHOTGUN AT ONE TIME. SOME CAN GET 4 AT A TIME. THIS SEEMS TO BE COMMON IF YOU LOAD STRONG HAND AND FLIP THE GUN OVER OR LOAD WEAK HAND WITH THE GUN AT YOUR SHOULDER.                                   KURT

SORRY FOR THE CAPITALLETTERS BUT MY KEY BOARD IS KAPUT!!!

Quote: from Carlos on 6:31 am on Sep. 18, 2002

Welcome ARES! Good to hear from fellow IPSC shooters from around the globe.

As for modification of speedloaders, there was a small article in the USPSA magazine, Frontsite, regarding the use of wooden dowels glued to the inside of the "pusher" (for lack of another term) and the risk of the dowel igniting a primer - though I have never heard of that actually happening. I believe this common modification is an attempt to increase the regidity of the pusher.

Another difficulty with the speedloader is lack of regidity in the tube; a local Master (or GM - cannot remember which) who did well at the National 3 gun (he is also an officer on the tactical squad of a local PD) manufactures his own speedloader tubes on a metalworking lathe - he makes them from correct diameter PVC pipe with a slot milled longitudinaly and uses the standard Tec loader pusher; I believe he attaches a piece of milled alluminum for the lugs to engage the "ears" on the gun. There is much room for improvement in speedloader technology.  

Regards,

Douglas

@ Carlos,

Thanks for the welcome and the informations.

I agree with you, that there is a lot of room for improvement in shotgun speedloader technology.

Anybody or any company working on this topic in the United States ?

Kelly:

I know for sure that we drink beer about the same, except I think you may have the edge on that one.  Reguardless  I think we are both world class if only in volume. Remember the BIG boys don't got nothin on us except speed, accuracy, and sponsership!! Oh well next to Todd we are the best lookin guys in 3 gun!   KURT

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Quote: from Dingus Kahn on 8:37 pm on Sep. 30, 2002

Does anyone have a web address for a place to buy speed loaders for shotguns?

Dirk

I guess by BROWNELLS you should get shotgun-speedloaders also (search for Tec-Loader).

DVC

ARES

• 1 month later...

I'm pretty sure Brownells doesn't carry the Tec-loaders.  I know JP (www.jpar15.com) does.  

Our own MagMaster Beven was seem with some prototype speedloader stuff a while back.  Maybe he's got something going by now.

Guys,

do these things really work, I have heard lots of stories of rounds going everywhere except in the gun, very fast.

How do they compare to the average shooter, I have seen a few top UK shooters easily load 6 rounds and shoot 6 plates Virgina Count in 7ish seconds, and a second to 0.70 second loading is about the best I have seen for a single round. Do they beat this?? and in a field shoot do they really slam them in, in the heat of a long run?

I have only seen people ever load one round at a time for consistency, eg no fumbles, and I would imagine fitting the tube, holding it in place, pushing the plunger etc takes time.....a long time...

Nobody in the UK uses them, and if there really is an edge then god knows I need it!!

DVC

Mike

There is a huge disparity between Open shotgun (speed loaders) and Limited shotgun (hand-feed) course times in the U.S., whether you compare the best shooters (e.g., Miculek Open vs. Cooley Limited) or everybody else. They work. But they still load singles or even sometimes doubles by hand.

I stick to Limited so I wouldn't know, but I'm told they require lots of practice and flawless technique to use effectively. I've seen a lot of people spend forever aligning things or dumping rounds on the ground.

I've seen some funny sights with speedloaders, both in the UK and in Italy in July this year.  Few were using them effectively.

I guess the art has been refined somewhat in the US.

Personally I prefer a Division without speedloaders but believe we need to provide for them as well.

As Mike has said the top UK guys can load and shoot 6 plates in under 7 seconds. This from an empty start, gun held in both hands at waist level and not touching any cartridges (close but not touching).  The gun will be held in the preferred loading orientation - mostly upside down!  I know this was discussed in another thread - Limited Shotgun reloads, see below.

http://www.brianenos.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard...=2&topic=26

The top 3 or 4 UK guys can break 6.5 seconds.  My personal best is 6.31 seconds, with 6 rounds loaded and first shot in 4.68 seconds, targets close in at about 7 yards.  But then this was a while back and on a good day.  I'm old and decrepit now!  

Do I recall correctly that the gun upside down for loading style was the subject of some banter involving kellyn or am I getting confused with A N Other.  In any case I'm with you who ever it was.

And as for Mike - he's right! He needs every edge he can get

In another thread Mike has posted about about looking forward to the Europeans next year.  There has been very little cross Region shotgunning and so we don't have much to compare things by.  It will be interesting.

It's not the winning that's important,

It's not being caught blubbering when you get thrashed by some one much better than matters.

I got a special deal on smileys in bulk for this email!