Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Caliber For Self Defense

7b7

Hi,

I am not sure if this is the right forum, but here it goes.

I have a feeling that this issue has been discussed before, but I have been searching this forum trying to answer my question but I am coming up short, and I am hoping that I can get some input from the people on this forum. If it is something that has been discussed over and over, can someone please refer me to the proper thread, because I cannot find the discussion.

Here is my question:

What is everyone’s opinion as to what it the best caliber round for a self defense carry handgun? Is it the .45, .40, .357, 9mm....or some other round?

I understand that this is probably a very subjective issue. I imagine that it t is a matter of opinion. But, I would like to hear some of the opinions of others here on the forum and why they feel which caliber is the best for a self defense round. (e.g. stopping power, accuracy, number of rounds capability,...or anything else).

Thanks for all the help

7b7

I had always heard and believe that the best weapon would be situation specific. If you had to put down a rabid cat you would use a .22. If you were fighting a Tank, you would use a bazooka. I guess my advise would be, carry as big a gun as you can, or want to carry. I carry a .38 special for it's size and I wouldn't feel comfortable with anything less. (I equate a 9mm with a .38.) If I could get away with it on a daily basis, I would like to carry a .45.

Just my .02

For self defense shooting we may assume you need the other guy to stop right now. You stop people by shutting down the central nervous system. You may do this with any caliber if, in the middle of a fight, you are extremely accurate and hit a piece of the brain about the size of your thumb or the upper spinal cord. Failing a direct CNS hit, you shut that system down by causing psychological trauma or blood loss. The psychological trauma is too nebulous, with too many variables to count on. That leaves blood loss. The larger the hole, the more rapid the exsanguination. So the largest caliber you will carry is the best round. I like .45, but a .50 would be nice.

The largest caliber you personally can shoot accurately and carry comfortably. If it is a .45, great, if it is a 9mm, great. If it is a 20 round auto, or a 5 shot revolver, then great. First you have to be able to shoot your own gun in a lot of strange positions and hit targets, sometimes moving, sometimes poorly lit. Dale's ideas about the CNS are right on, but you have to first cause the wound. I have carried almost every caliber listed above, but in the past few years, I have settled on a battery of guns that I shoot well, carry often, and practice with occasionally. You need to know them inside and out if you are going to be called on to shoot them under stress.

My personal selections are a Glock 26 and a Glock 19, both in 9mm, and a S&W 442 in .38 special +p. I can carry any one, two, or all three based on the activities in which I am engaged and the garments used for concealment. I find that this three gun battery allows me a wide variety of carry options, and no external safeties to engage/disengage. All three are controllable for me to successfully put two shots just inches apart at the center of mass on a static target. I can shoot them one handed if need be, and operate them in my sleep. That is the level of comfort I want with a carry gun. Sure I can control every caliber available, but when it comes down to the fast deployment of a pistol, I don't feel under armed with a 9 or 38.

One last thing, if you know you are going to a fight, stay home, or take a rifle or shotgun, but I assume that you won't walk around town in 100 degree heat with those without causing other problems for yourself.

It doesn't matter. Pick something you can afford to practice with, then buy lots of ammo and PRACTICE. Everything else is BS.

And if 22LR is all you can afford, so be it. Be the best 22LR shooter you can be.

Also, carrying a large handgun is a bigger commitment than most folks think. Think small. A 32 cal. anything on your person is better than the 45 you left home.

It doesn't matter.  Pick something you can afford to practice with, then buy lots of ammo and PRACTICE.  Everything else is BS. 

And if 22LR is all  you can afford, so be it.  Be the best 22LR shooter you can be. 

Also, carrying a large handgun is a bigger commitment than most folks think.  Think small.  A 32 cal. anything on your person is better than the 45 you left home.

This says a lot...

post-2898-1114304209_thumb.jpg

The best place to read about the state of the art in terminal ballistics is:

http://www.firearmstactical.com/

and here's a good intro:

http://www.firearmstactical.com/hwfe.htm

The quick summary is that any of 9x19, 357SIG, 40SW, or 45ACP will perform about the same provided you are using one of the premium self defense loads -- that data is listed on FTI also.

In looking at the two sites (ones that Zak posted), it appears that penetration is the most important factor. One of the articles on firearmstactical.com states:

“Kinetic energy does not wound. Temporary cavity does not wound. The much discussed "shock" of bullet impact is a fable and "knock down" power is a myth. The critical element is penetration.”

If I am reading some of the tests correctly it seems that .45, .40. and 9mm perform very close in terms of penetration on the Bare Gelatin and Denim Covered Gelatin tests. If this is true, then would it not make the most sense to carry a 9mm handgun over the .45 or ,40 because of the much higher magazine capacity? I would also guess that the 9mm would be easier to shoot due to the lower recoil. Wouldn’t this make the 9mm the better choice for a self defense carry handgun?

In looking at the two sites (ones that Zak posted), it appears that penetration is the most important factor.  One of the articles on firearmstactical.com states:

“Kinetic energy does not wound. Temporary cavity does not wound. The much discussed "shock" of bullet impact is a fable and "knock down" power is a myth. The critical element is penetration.”

If I am reading some of the tests correctly it seems that .45, .40. and 9mm perform very close in terms of penetration on the Bare Gelatin and Denim Covered Gelatin tests.  If this is true, then would it not make the most sense to carry a 9mm handgun over the .45 or ,40 because of the much higher magazine capacity?  I would also guess that the 9mm would be easier to shoot due to the lower recoil.  Wouldn’t this make the 9mm the better choice for a self defense carry handgun?

7b7,

Just buy something.

All the common defense calibers are essentially ballistically identical. None of them stand out from one another to a degree that makes worrying worthwhile. Just pick something and learn how to shoot it.

I switched from 45 to 9mm because of the capacity and the fact that it is cheap to shoot. If this is your first gun, buy a 9mm. Buy Brian's book, then buy a reloader from Brian (or lots and lots and lots of ammo), then get to work. You can waste your entire life fretting over silly ballistics, or you can be productive and learn to shoot.

Let the Tactibilly Mall Ninjas worry about the ballistics.

From the forum rules:

Intent

This Forum is for firearm, technique, and conceptual discussions pertaining to training and competition. (And various unrelated topics.) ;-)

While the occasional defensive shooting post is not prohibited, in general, defensive shooting discussions or debates are discouraged.