Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking for "skinny" powder measure

I have a Hornady LNL AP press with Hornady powder measure, micrometer and PTX. This unit is very reliable and accurate, but I now have a Mr. BF and I'm dealing with interference either with the primer feed tube or the bullet feeder die. Currently have my RCBS lockout die installed so the powder measure linkage is rubbing on the primer feed tube. A slightly slimmer unit would rectify this issues, but I don't have an stores nearby that sell reloading equipment.

Anyone know if one of the other popular units would be smaller than the Hornady? FWIW, I'm only loading 9mm at this time and pretty soft loads at that so I need a micrometer measure that's reliable at sub-4 grains.

My only other option is to drop the lock-out die, move the powder measure next to the BF die and deal with that interference.

Thanks,

Rick

The Lee auto drum is pretty slim. Plus if it's in the way you can buy the auto disk riser to move it up higher. I run it with 2 x auto disk risers stacked. Gets it right up out of the way. I use it on my 650 like that with mr bf and it works great.

I don't have your accessories, but have you tried installing the powder measure bushing in different positions to avoid the interference? I have seen many folks having problems because they seem to think there is only one position for the measure to be in on the press.

Edited by noylj

This video might give you an idea or 2

Looks like he is running sizer, drop w/ PTX expander, powder check, bullet feeder, seat/crimp die. His powder drop is set to point to about 9 oclock.

My powder funnel isn't nearly as high as shown in your picture. I'll have to take a look at the difference. Either that or your bullet feeder is shorter.

Rick

If you want me to measure anything let me know.

Thanks for the offer. I'm going to be doing some reloading this week and I'll be able to do a visual comparison. While I've "mastered" the Hornady combination seat/crimp die I much prefer separate steps. Also, looks like you're loading Acme (115gr?). I switched to Acme from Bayou because the Bayou 115gr for reasons unknown would stick in the BF die.

BeerBaron is right, I have the Lee Auto Drum on my 550B, and also use it on the few caliber's that I load on the Lee Classic Turret...works great, and it's CHEAP!

Update: I've pretty well got the situation diagnosed. If one uses the longest PTX available, probably the Hornady, and sets the BF die lower in the press than required to drop a bullet, then the clearance between BF and Powder station is probably adequate. One potential problem occurs when I'm cycling the press and for whatever reason during the upstroke the powder station is empty; this results in the bullet feed tube hanging up on the powder casting. Conversely, if you lower the BF die too much and there is no case in that position on the upstroke, the entire contents of the feed tube dumps out.

The real solution is to have the BF feed tube 1/2" shorter which would eliminate the interference completely; It should be possible to shorten the plastic tube and repair with some short of a coupling, but the coupler would need an ID close to the tubes OD.

In my particular situation the interference between the two positions is significant even after I've relieved the surfaces a bit. I don't want to risk removing any more material.

Can you take the die apart, cut the clear tube in the die and put it back together? It looked like it was just glued together.

Absolutely. I'm going to measure the OD and see if I can find something to use as a coupler - won't need the exact ID match. I can fill the cap between the two. I've tried the Hornady PTX and it just doesn't work well for me especially using bullets that have absolutely no chamfer on the lower edge.

The other approach is to cut the plastic tube at the lower fitting and drill out the plastic, then just re-glue. That actually makes the most sense now that I think about it.

Edited by RickT

I was wondering if you could just pull the clear tube out instead of cutting and drilling. That would be easiest if the glue isn't too strong. I think I remember that mine came unglued when I was setting it up and I didn't re glue it. Just pushed it together and used it.

I feel like I may have mentioned this but for $60 a lee auto drum will solve it. Set it any height you want by using none, 1 or 2 riser tubes (cost about $8 each). No external linkage. Micrometer style adjustment. Quick drain powder changes.

You could buy one then sell the hornady and come out in front. :)

rather than continue to extol the virtues of the lee auto drum I thought I'd give you some pics (forgive the surface rust!)

lee%201_zpslxy07ucn.jpg

you can see how closely it fits next to Mr BF etc.

You can see in this one right down low is the lee powder die (screwed down about as far as it can go). then is 2 auto disk risers stacked one atop the other. I haven't found any ill effect to stacking two this way. Even at a pace of 100 rounds/6min all the powder makes it to the case. :)

lee%202_zpsfoead9vj.jpg

wider shot:

lee%204_zps5u6phx5z.jpg

here you can see the drum. I write on the drum which powder or load goes with that drum then just leave them set up. When I want to swap it's a simple matter of turn off the powder, tip the hopper back into container, replace drum, or if moving the measure to another toolhead just undo a single thumb screw and the measure comes off. extra drums are $15 for a pack of 4! Even extra powder measures are only $35-$40.

lee%203_zps4wy90ahn.jpg

I got one of the first of the above pictured measures and it works very well. Best for "pistol" type powders, small grain or ball, not good for extruded like H4831. Clean well as you assemble it and they are very accurate in use.

Press is running like a champ with the shortened feed tub. I'm attached to the Hornady powder measure although I'm going to take a close look at Lee.

I tried the Hornady PTX, but the Mr.BF works so much better; puts a perfect , but small, bell on the cases and even the Acme bullets which have no chamfer at all stick in the case at speed.

I shortened the feeder tube and the press runs like a champ, but I must admit the Lee Auto-Drum looks interesting. It's unfortunate that California doesn't have a real winter as it limits the time available for tinkering, but after my wife and I spend $$$$ subsidizing the prize money at the WSSC I'll check out the Lee. I do have 60K rounds through the Hornady and haven't had to replace any parts.

If anyone is of a mind to shorten the MrBF tube don't do so at the brass weight end; it's not a press fit so it takes a bit of cleverness to exactly center the clear tube in the brass weight which can result in a bullet occasionally sticking the the interface between the end of the tube and the mating feature in the brass weight.