Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ newbie

1911vm

My choice would be an SP-01 Shadow for Production and SSP. However, a 75 Shadow (DA/SA) would be the most versatile gun for Production, SSP and ESP. You'd be able to take advantage of using a magwell in ESP, should you so desire.

Edited by TennJeep1618

SP 01 and SP01 shadow. Seems like Shadow is almost double the price

The Shadow has some advantages. It doesn't have a firing pin block, which means the trigger is arguably better. It comes with a fiber optic front and serrated black rear sight, and also comes with 3 magazines.

I'd consider Tennessee Jeep's advice. An SP-01 Shadow will lock you into basically SSP configuration when shooting IDPA. If you think you might like to shoot ESP and take advantage of the few mods it allows, look at a 75 Shadow.

4E9237B0-D7FD-4B39-BCE4-7D748596CEF9_zps

Edited by JKW

SP 01 and SP01 shadow. Seems like Shadow is almost double the price

rock stock its just about $200 difference between them, but you really can't find a stock SP01 Shadow anymore as you can SP01. You are probably seeing "SP-01 Shadow Custom" (some variant) which also has some performance parts as well as nice trigger job.

I was going to also say you will likely not find a stock SP01 Shadow anywhere (unless you can get a used one). You can find SP01s and tune them and add sights. The SP01 will have the FPB, but I have not found that to be any disadvantage. I couldn't tell the difference between my SP01 with CGW goodies and an SP01 Shadow (friend's) when practice firing transitions at speed. I recently shot an IDPA match (28 shooters). My friend and I ran SP01s (non-Shadows). He got second place and I got third place (he beat me by only .5 second overall because I hit the perf on a no-shoot on one stage). The winner was shooting a tweaked STI 2011 and he only beat me by 4.5 seconds (the no-shoot perf hit cost me the win, but then again, either of them could have scored better also).

Edited by Steppenwolf

Thank you guys. I will only use the gun for SSP AND Production in USPSA. I use a 1911 9mm when I shoot ESP. with 9 round mags it's like cheating lol. I have used polymer guns before, but just do not like glocks . Xds are OK. Some one told me to try P 09. But I just want a steel gun.

So to summarize. Sp 01 shadow. Sounds like the major consensus. I guess will Ned to save some money for looks like a1200-1700 dollar gun I definitely did not plan for that. For some reason I thought I could get in the game for 800 including gear.

Would this option be better to get a SP-01 and send CGW. I have read a bunch of really good things about them. the price is about the same. unless I find a used SP 01. Which a doubt

Sexy pistol. What trigger is that???

I'd consider Tennessee Jeep's advice. An SP-01 Shadow will lock you into basically SSP configuration when shooting IDPA. If you think you might like to shoot ESP and take advantage of the few mods it allows, look at a 75 Shadow.
4E9237B0-D7FD-4B39-BCE4-7D748596CEF9_zps

Would this option be better to get a SP-01 and send CGW. I have read a bunch of really good things about them. the price is about the same. unless I find a used SP 01. Which a doubt

SP-01 Shadow without the firing pin block from the FACTORY is legal for production. SP-01 modified to be a Shadow will be illegal for production if they remove the firing pin block to reduce the trigger to 1.5 lbs or so.

I am not sure in regards to Shadow and IDPA, I think just before Nationals they had outlawed it due to the bushing. But, as often they change the rules there I am not sure if it is still illegal or not.

SP-01 Shadow without the firing pin block from the FACTORY is legal for production. SP-01 modified to be a Shadow will be illegal for production if they remove the firing pin block to reduce the trigger to 1.5 lbs or so.

I am not sure in regards to Shadow and IDPA, I think just before Nationals they had outlawed it due to the bushing. But, as often they change the rules there I am not sure if it is still illegal or not.

Only the Accu Shadow has a bushing. Shadow is legal in IDPA.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I'd consider Tennessee Jeep's advice. An SP-01 Shadow will lock you into basically SSP configuration when shooting IDPA. If you think you might like to shoot ESP and take advantage of the few mods it allows, look at a 75 Shadow.4E9237B0-D7FD-4B39-BCE4-7D748596CEF9_zps

Thank you for the compliment, NoKimberDave. The trigger I made on a whim when I decided to go the SAO route.

CZ still sells the shadow I'm pretty sure. It's not on the website but they are in production. Call them and ask.

I have a shadow custom and it's amazing. It instantly made me a better shooter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by gixxerjunky

Thank you for the compliment, NoKimberDave. The trigger I made on a whim when I decided to go the SAO route.

You are welcome. It looks like you have an eye for lines as it looks swell.

A few folks have indicated that the SP-01 Shadow would not be allowed in the ESP division. My understanding of the rules is that it is allowed.

From the IDPA Rulebook:

"8.2.2.1.7 All firearms legal in SSP are legal for use in ESP. This provision may be used for firearms that violate an ESP rule (for example, a firearm with a steel dust cover or rail over 3.25”) to still be used in ESP, provided the firearm meets all SSP requirements."

This seems to allow the SP-01 Shadow to be used in ESP and start cocked and locked. I used mine to classify in ESP. Maybe certain clubs interpret that rule differently, but it seems pretty clear to me.

A few folks have indicated that the SP-01 Shadow would not be allowed in the ESP division. My understanding of the rules is that it is allowed.

From the IDPA Rulebook:

"8.2.2.1.7 All firearms legal in SSP are legal for use in ESP. This provision may be used for firearms that violate an ESP rule (for example, a firearm with a steel dust cover or rail over 3.25”) to still be used in ESP, provided the firearm meets all SSP requirements."

This seems to allow the SP-01 Shadow to be used in ESP and start cocked and locked. I used mine to classify in ESP. Maybe certain clubs interpret that rule differently, but it seems pretty clear to me.

That is correct, but because of the full length dust cover, you aren't allowed to use a magwell (since the gun must meet all SSP requirements). That was the point I was trying to make.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

So I have been looking around 1st. There is not to many sp01 period. And even less decock [tactical].

For SSP and Production divisions only. What is better Safety or Decock and why?

Thanks.

So I have been looking around 1st. There is not to many sp01 period. And even less decock [tactical].

For SSP and Production divisions only. What is better Safety or Decock and why?

Thanks.

Decocker is better. With the safety version, hammer has to be all of the way down. With the decocker, the lever sends the hammer to half-cock, so less trigger pull for the first shot.

OK that makes sense. Next stupid question, I was looking on GB and they had a custom shadow with a high grip. what makes a high grip modification? I thought sp01s are all the same frame?