Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Stages Idea

ZackJones

The history of Steel Challenge has not always been the same 8 stages forever. Seems like USPSA is locked into thinking they always need to be the same 8.

When I used to run our local, I had an old rule book that had different stuff in it.

Over they years, SC (pre-USPSA) changed the main stages.

I had a whole 3 - ring binder full of steel stages that we used at our local.

I have had some preliminary discussions about additional stages with USPSA HQ and other staff members. One point that was brought up is any new stage will eventually count towards classification so if we add 10 new stages our classification will be eventually based on 18 instead of 8 stages.

I may put forth Smoke & Hope 10 and 12 for additional stages and see how it goes. I want to set them up and shoot them first though.

In my opinion, SCSA should move the classification system towards something like USPSA. Instead of an overall time being used, use a percentage based system for each stage. Then base the shooter's classification off of combined and averaged percentages after they have X number of stages on record. Also post times for each stage shot so other shooters can compare and know where they stand against other shooters around the county or world.

I have had some preliminary discussions about additional stages with USPSA HQ and other staff members. One point that was brought up is any new stage will eventually count towards classification so if we add 10 new stages our classification will be eventually based on 18 instead of 8 stages.

I may put forth Smoke & Hope 10 and 12 for additional stages and see how it goes. I want to set them up and shoot them first though.

it certainly wouldn't have to be that way. One could run the current 8 as the main/official/national/classifier stages.

Then again, it wouldn't be hard to set the high score/classification for new SC stages. Just run them at a major a few times.

reducing the distances on speed option and Outer limits would really help move matches along the time it takes to repaint them is a lot longer. It would stop the usual bottleneck at Outer limits and would allow clubs with out the longer ranges to be able to shoot them.

How about allowing clubs to use 1/2-size rectangles at 1/2 the slant range for those deep stages? These small plates are relatively inexpensive and the times should be close enough to consider both configurations to be the same stage at least for classification purposes.