Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Range Restrictions And Practice Issues

boo radley

Hey folks -- this forums continually helpul, and I'd like to go to the well, again.

I'm newish to the game, and really want to maximize my practice time, which requires careful allocation considering work, wife, responsibilities, etc...

Anyway. I have been shooting/practicing at a nearby, public range. It's indoors, with up to 100 yard bays, and is never crowded. It's $10 an hour, though the folks working there are pretty lenient about not charging if you go "over", and as I mentioned, close -- about 12-15 minutes from my house.

Those are the pro's.

The con's are: one can only shoot paper. While technically the range rules permit drawing from the holster, it's only possible if a staff member is free to supervise, and go with the shooter to another bay, against the berm -- so it's usually not possible. Multiple targets are not permitted. Targets have to be more or less in line with the shooter, since the berm is so far away -- the shooting angles are very restrictive. Oh, the range is also somewhat dark, although this might not be a bad thing since when I shoot outside at a match, I'm amazed how bright my non-illuminated sights are!

The paper-only rule doesn't bother me as much as not being able to set up multiple targets, and draw and transition between them. From my limited experience this seems a pretty fundamental drill.

There are some private ranges/clubs in my area, that would be somewhat more permissive about how/what I could shoot, but they have their own set of items to consider. For example, several want members to volunteer 4 weekend days a year: a very reasonable requirement, but from past experience, surprisingly difficult to juggle! Most of these clubs require 1hr or more driving time: that makes it impractical to shoot for an hour after work. Cost -- I'd probably save money, since the dues are around $150 +/- year vs. $10/hr, but then there's the gas issue.

So I know, or imagine, anyway, a lot of you aren't able to walk out the kitchen door, and shoot in your back-yard, either. How restrictive are your ranges, and what items do you *require* for your practice? I guess I'm wondering if I have a good thing, with the nearby public range, despite the restrictions, or not. I realize there's plenty one can practice on a single target, even without drawing, but it would sure be nice to set up IPSC-"like" stages, and actually practice 'em.

Thx!

I have similar issues, and I am most of the time not able to practice draws, so here is what I do, not great, but better then nothing:

I set the gun on the "table"/ or cross bench that is in front of each bay, and with my timer, practice drawing from the table position. Seems there are lot's of these at matches lately! It is not ideal, but gives me an alternative. I also shoot two shot strings and check for both draw times and split times and of course check the hits and paste after each string. Other times I will draw from the table and then do a sting of six for recoil control, making sure I am getting good hits. If you are not getting all or mostly "A's", then you need to slow down (DUH). That so far is the best I have been able to come up with, but I am sure that others with more experience than I, that should not be too tall of a task, will have some great ideas!

Good luck from another newbie!

I don't know how you'll be able to do adequate IPSC practice in this kind of facility, so you'll need to supplement it with practice at a place that allows drawing, multiple targets, etc.

However when you do shoot indoors doing things like shooting strong hand only and weak hand only and shooting groups to practice trigger control are all good ideas.

And make sure you wear your hearing protection...... :lol: (sorry, rtr, cheap shot...)

The ranges around here won't even allow "rapid fire" (ie, more than 1 shot per second). So, about all I can do indoors is work accuracy freestyle, SHO, and WHO. I can't even do decent timing drills... Gotta find a local to take me out to some outdoor place so I can hose for a while :) :) :) <hint> <hint>

The closest range to me is pretty much like that-- What I do a lot is work with little paper plates. They're cheap and look like far-off steel. You can stack 'em, put 'em side by side and so on even in a single target's worth of paper.

Practice draws from your 'high-ready' position. Picking up the sights and getting off a good first shot is key and that's the most important part after getting a good grip. Also good training for port-to-port movement.

I guess I'm lucky. I belong to a private club. I have a key to ALL of the facilities and am on honor system. We have 14 bays and can shoot plate racks, paper, around cars (IDPA stuff) drag out the poppers ect... I guess I just take it for granted.

I've heard of public shooting ranges that barely allow a person to fire your gun. Well, maybe not that bad. There is a range around here where your mags have to be unloaded when you get there or you'll be thrown out. Rediculous, at least for an IPSC shooter. Those rules are probably a good idea for some of the idiots I've seen shooting.

I was at an indoor range a few months ago and noticed "hits" right over head and right at my feet. :blink: Someone like that should be stripped of their guns and handed a rock.

Go with the private range, you can learn more in a day on an outside range than a month at the indoor range. Even if you just go to the outdoor range 1 time a week and dry fire practice the other it will be better than practicing indoors.

The club I go to is $150 for the yr but work days aren't a requirement but you get reduced fees if you do help out, I think its $50 a yr for so many pts/hrs worked.

Does the club host matches??? If so you can usually get credit there helping out.

The club I shoot at has everything already there except paper targets and a stapler. Steel, plate rack, target holders, chairs etc etc

It all depends how strict they are about enforcing the weekends.

Flyin40

Yeah...<sigh> I figure it's kinda like working on one's golf game, but only being able to use the putting green at the clubhouse, and never being allowed on the driving range.

I *am* shooting paper plates, in fact -- simply because they make a cheap, portable target. Lately, I've been putting 2 or 3 up at 25 yards, and shooting one as carefully as I can for groups, and the other(s), a lot more rapidly -- as soon as I have a sight picture.

I could buy a timer (something I need anyway), and track progress in this exercise, and do things like shoot 'Bill Drills' from the low-ready, but it would be nice to shoot outdoors, and work on movement, too, and multiple targets, so I think I'll explore some other options.

Well I had to go sight in the gun for a NRA match tomorrow and didn't feel like driving 45minutes to the range. I went to an indoor range and it was horrible.

Nothing wrong with the range, just being indoors. You know that feeling after leaving the range, nose full of that black smoke/residue, lungs feel tight. I only shot 30 rounds sighting in and some bullseye practice. I was in the range maybe 20 mins. 8-10 guys popping off rounds filled the air with smoke quick.

Go with the private clubs, I can't imagine practicing weekly indoors.

Flyin40

I've got the exact same issue - anyone have any good creative ideas?

Yup. Cough up the dough and find a decent range.

$10/hr is total BS. Even *indoor* ranges here only charge $15 for all you can shoot and drawing is permitted.

And if my only choices were shooting indoors, or not shooting at all, I'd probably take up golf. Shooting indoors is just un-fun for a variety of reasons.

EricW, Boo doesn't have an area listed but before I left Michigan it cost $50 a year or $6 an hour for an indoor range at 25 yards. The State outdoor range only allowed loading a single round at a time. Otherwise it was an hour drive to the Detroit Sportmans Congress which is nowhere near Detroit. Here in Montana is a little different, the Trap Club has a 300 yard range, the shooting sports complex has a 300 yard range, the Ed McGivern pistol club has 50 yards. I even belong to 2 clubs more than 180 miles away, when I shoot there I just spend the night.