Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M3K vs M3000

mikeyjones

I'm looking at a new shotgun for 3gun.

There's about $100 price difference between the 2.

Are the oversized safety and some work on the loading port worth the $? Or could I buy the M3000 and do the work myself?

Basically is the M3K worth the price difference?

The reason I tell people to go with the M3K over the M3000 is because they moved the serial number on the M3K. You get about $40 of parts and some of the loading port work done. You can do okay with just some throating and a tube on the M3K as well. If you load weak-hand, I would go for the M3K.

If you load strong hand only, then the M3000 is likely a better deal since the serial number placement won't affect you lowering the ejection port for loading.

M3k can go hog-wild with the loading port, but my son and I load weak-hand quads and with a biased port the M3000 is just fine. WE NEED TO KNOW, THOUGH. The shaping is different for weak hand quads to account for the SN position.

My opinion-

1) The Stoeger Oversize safety is very stiff, and I feel our double-head safety is a legitimate improvement. Throw it away.

2) I don't like a big handle that won't spin, but that is personal preference. Take it or leave it.

3) Their oversize bolt release is TOO big for me, and increases the likelihood of accidentally bumping it and getting a "death-jam", as Jesse Tischauser also found out. Downsize it, or take it off.

4) Is the SN worth an extra $100? For me, no. Because I have machined hundreds of these ports and can make either one fly like the wind.

BUT- IF YOU JUST WANT TO BUY A GUN, THROW A MAG ON IT AND SHOOT IT, the M3K is great, and when you want to go crazy on the port the sky is the limit. Or more precisely, the lip that retains the follower is the limit :)

Edited by openclassterror

M3k can go hog-wild with the loading port, but my son and I load weak-hand quads and with a biased port the M3000 is just fine. WE NEED TO KNOW, THOUGH. The shaping is different for weak hand quads to account for the SN position.

My opinion-

1) The Stoeger Oversize safety is very stiff, and I feel our double-head safety is a legitimate improvement. Throw it away.

2) I don't like a big handle that won't spin, but that is personal preference. Take it or leave it.

3) Their oversize bolt release is TOO big for me, and increases the likelihood of accidentally bumping it and getting a "death-jam", as Jesse Tischauser also found out. Downsize it, or take it off.

4) Is the SN worth an extra $100? For me, no. Because I have machined hundreds of these ports and can make either one fly like the wind.

BUT- IF YOU JUST WANT TO BUY A GUN, THROW A MAG ON IT AND SHOOT IT, the M3K is great, and when you want to go crazy on the port the sky is the limit. Or more precisely, the lip that retains the follower is the limit :)

Thank you for the feedback. I load strong hand so I might want to go crazy on the port later but am torn if the SN is worth the $100.

I got M3k because I can put a tube on it and go. While Tom is healing. There is not a ton of smith's out there that know this platform as well as he does. So unless you can do the work your self. Or know someone. M3k.

Tom, correct me if I'm wrong here but do the newer m3000's have that nice coating on the tube like the new M3K's do? I know with the new M3K's you do not have to do anything to the mag tube for them to run properly, just oil it.

MJ, I wouldn't risk getting stuck with an old M3000 just because you would have to polish the mag tube. Also you know how crazy the Gestapo is here so why risk getting a scratch on the serial number grinding up the port on the M3000. Just get the M3K and call it a day.

Tom, correct me if I'm wrong here but do the newer m3000's have that nice coating on the tube like the new M3K's do? I know with the new M3K's you do not have to do anything to the mag tube for them to run properly, just oil it.

MJ, I wouldn't risk getting stuck with an old M3000 just because you would have to polish the mag tube. Also you know how crazy the Gestapo is here so why risk getting a scratch on the serial number grinding up the port on the M3000. Just get the M3K and call it a day.

Thanks guys for the input. I'll be ordering a m3k.

Any advice on where to get tubes?

Sent from my Z812 using Tapatalk

Your going to need a plus one for here and a plus what ever you want for America, I think I got a plus 5 or 6, cant remember. It's about 2 inches past my choke tube. You want it longer than your barrel to protect your barrel and front sight from garbage in the bottom of the dump cans.

I got the big one with nut, spring and cap from MOA then later I got the plus one and extra spring from here https://cpwsa.com/products/nordic-components-products-nordic-mag-tube

MOA might have both though. Also some guys are using the plus one with the stock spring but it's always good to keep extra springs so...

It will hold 5 in the tube with the metal cap inside removed stock. When you add the plus one tube it holds 6 in the tube.

You also need a low drag aluminum follower, either the MOA or a stock one from an M2.

It will hold 5 in the tube with the metal cap inside removed stock. When you add the plus one tube it holds 6 in the tube.

You also need a low drag aluminum follower, either the MOA or a stock one from an M2.

Thanks Lou.

Will be ordered shortly.

Sent from my Z812 using Tapatalk