Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SVI finish options: which one?

MissionaryMike

Looking to participate in USPSA's Limited division, I've put down a deposit for my first ever 2011 wide body pistol, and it's an SVI. I've got 90 days to make changes (87 days now), even to the major components, before my indecisiveness bears a monetary penalty. The biggest thing I'm being fickle on right now is the finish option. I really like look of the duotone, which I initially thought was SVI's infinicoat on stainless steel based on the pictures in their photo gallery. A couple of days after I left the deposit for my build, I found out that the darker parts are actually a blued finish. Obviously, I have concerns with the wear on a blued gun for USPSA with all the drawing and holstering, especially during dry fire practice. For now, Casey at SVI and I have left the design to have the Infinicoat DLC applied to the grip and frame, leaving the stainless slide bare and bead blasted in the appropriate areas as to reduce glare.

However, I have a concern with this "two tone" finish as well, as it more or less represents my dawdling to commit to either an all stainless look and material, or to coat the whole pistol in the DLC finish. I do have a pistol that's finished in hard chrome (CZ 97B), and it's a beauty. My personal opinion of hard chrome against holster wear isn't very high though. I'd be even more concerned without any finish on the metal at all though, like SVI's stainless/silver look. Wear and tear on the finish and material as my greatest concern, I would like to hear your opinions and anecdotes as to how your own stainless and/or DLC coated pistols have worn in and out.

So just to recap: Stainless vs. Infinicoat. I appreciate you getting through this post and for any information you help me gather.

-MM

Edited by MissionaryMike

Limited Division--Why are you concerned about hard chrome and holster wear? 85% of limited use holsters like ghost which grip the trigger guard.

I have an SVI Open in stainless. The stainless frame is not weather proof. I would not have it blued, but I have seen (close up) SVI's black coating. It looks very cool and I bet will protect your gun for a long time.

Limited Division--Why are you concerned about hard chrome and holster wear? 85% of limited use holsters like ghost which grip the trigger guard.

I'd like to learn, so I ask. I don't have one of those holsters. Perhaps I need to invest in one. I have 12-15 months to decide.

I am in the same time frame as you. I picked the DLC option for my finish on the whole thing. My gun will look like pic 3121 from the gallery with the exception of the Signature grip and short flat trigger for my girly hands and RH release button.

Edited by tanks

I'd like to learn, so I ask. I don't have one of those holsters. Perhaps I need to invest in one. I have 12-15 months to decide.

Here is a link to those type of holsters.

http://www.doublealpha.biz/race-master-holster

Several different makers, but all close to the same design.

I went with two tone stainless on an open build. I sort of went all out.

Picture 1 when you open their webpage.

I use the limcat holster personally. It's really pretty rugged.

Edited by Kingman

Nice looking blaster, Bob. Well, I think I've hashed out all the details for this new and first SVI build. I settled on the DLC. Here's what it looks like......for now.

Design Name:

Template Name: USPSA/IPSC Limited/Standard 5.4 inch Pistol

Last Updated: 04/16/16

Special Instructions: Diagonal cuts on tri-top. Black tribal pattern on the magwell.

Front Slide Cut: Diamond Serrations

Guide Rod: Stainless Steel

Panel Cut: No

Radial Flute: None

Rear Lightening: No

Rear Slide Cut: Diamond Serrations

Slide Material: Carbon Steel

Slide Profile: Three Sided

Slide Racker / Lightening: No

Stirrup Cut: Yes

Top Rib: Diamond Serrations

Front Sight: Red Fiber Optic .100 wide x 1mm

Rear Sight: Infinity Rear Sight Absolute Target Zero

Scope: None

AET Barrel Option: AET

Barrel: Sight Tracker Rib Barrel

Barrel Length: 5.4

Barrel Style: Hybrid

Caliber: 9 x 19

Compensator: None

Trigger Bow: Titanium

Trigger Color: Black

Trigger Insert Style: Flat Medium

Triglide System: Yes

Grip Material: Carbon Steel

Grip Size (Competition Hicap Only): Signature Grip

Grip Surface: MicroPockets (IMP) Tactical with Mobius Cutout

Metal Grip Mag Catch: Left Side Checkered Magazine Release Button

Metal Grip Magwell: Aluminum - Plain XL - Silver Only

Metal Grip Mainspring Housing: Steel - Signature Blued

Thumbshield: None

Trigger Guard - New: Double Under Cut (For Highest Grip)

Trigger Guard Profile: Infinity Traditional Square (ITS) (Most Common)

Hammer: Triple Xcelerated QB

Hammer Finish: Blued Finish

Dust Cover: Standard (all)

Dust Cover Fluting: None

Frame Material: Carbon Steel

Frame Style: Competition (Wide body)

Grip Safety: Carbon Steel

ITI Rail cut: Rail Cut

Slide Lock Pin: Carbon Steel

Strut: Titanium

Thumb Safety Material: Carbon Steel

Thumb Safety Style: Ambi Extra Wide Left Side

Caliber Conversion Barrel Type: AET Hybrid Barrel

Caliber Conversion Caliber: 40 S&W

California/ Massachusetts Resident: No

Gun type: 5.4 inch Special

Pistol Finish: Infinicoat Diamond Like Carbon

Duotone.............Brandon doesn't like doing them as much because they require perfection on his part (which he does great...) but they do look pretty. The black DLC coating would be my second choice..........but the new diamond pattern really looks nice in a duotone......just saying......

Anyway you pick one, you really can't go wrong. Congrats on the purchase. You'll love it when it comes...............

Just out of curiosity why a 9x19 conversion kit? Planning on using it for 3 gun?

It's being built specifically for multi gun. The conversion caliber is actually 40 S&W, so that I have the option to use it as a back up limited pistol.

Edited by MissionaryMike

If you make the pilgrimage to the SV factory with your pistol, they will do a lot of things for you right there on the spot....................Pretty amazing the lengths that SV will go to refurbish a pistol just to make sure that it still looks as good as they shoot.

Good Choice on the duotone with the diamonds.........those are hot!!!!!! Love mine....You will too..................I will look for it in June when I am down at the factory for the SV Infinity Open....It's always kinda fun to look at the build sheets for all the guns that are in the production line and see who is having what built. Sometimes you do a double take at who the customer is and what they are having built.