Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Precision Delta or Montana Gold

nahanshew89

The only reason I chose RN is because that's what I have the most experience shooting and that's what the previous owner said he made his loads with. I have heard HPs are more accurate, but I have nothing to quantify that with, short of anecdotes and stories. I figured since I'm going to buy in bulk I should stick to what I know. I suppose I could buy a small batch of HPs and check em out.

HP cut better holes in paper.

I have a .355 barrel, so I'll be using 9mm bullets. As far as price being negligible, I only say that because the prices are so close for similar quantities of similar bullets. I personally don't understand all the hype with JHPs, I've always had fantastic results with RN profile rounds, and I don't see much better accuracy with JHPs out of my Production gun.

HP are not hype. HP are quicker to stabilize out of the barrel. Look at the holes in the targets that RN produce. Compare to JHP.

Precision Delta did not make a 9 mm JHP until recently. All PD offered was the RN exposed base and most open shooters do not shoot exposed base. For a long time Montana Gold was the only player and MG rarely ran out of bullets. Now PD is in the game and PD JHPs are faster with the same amount of powder used for a MG bullet. I believe the PD bullet has more copper which makes a better seal and does not let as much gas escape past the bullet. PD cost less also. Competition is a good thing.

I have a .355 barrel, so I'll be using 9mm bullets. As far as price being negligible, I only say that because the prices are so close for similar quantities of similar bullets. I personally don't understand all the hype with JHPs, I've always had fantastic results with RN profile rounds, and I don't see much better accuracy with JHPs out of my Production gun.

HP are not hype. HP are quicker to stabilize out of the barrel. Look at the holes in the targets that RN produce. Compare to JHP.

Precision Delta did not make a 9 mm JHP until recently. All PD offered was the RN exposed base and most open shooters do not shoot exposed base. For a long time Montana Gold was the only player and MG rarely ran out of bullets. Now PD is in the game and PD JHPs are faster with the same amount of powder used for a MG bullet. I believe the PD bullet has more copper which makes a better seal and does not let as much gas escape past the bullet. PD cost less also. Competition is a good thing.

Pretty good summation.

I think what you may be missing/misunderstanding is, not all JACKETED RN bullets are fully coated or jacketed. CMJ's are, as I explained. But unless it says a RN is fully jacketed THEN, by design it will have an exposed lead base. JHP's will never have an exposed base by design.

I like the PD being shipped in boxes of 2k because the Post Office will deliver them. For boxes of 4k MG they leave a note in the mailbox and I have to pick them up. The Postmistress doesn't want her people getting hurt delivering them.

If MG offered any advantage I would use them, but my guns seem to shoot both with the same accuracy.

Post office did it once to me, I raised the hell saying the shipper paid for door-to-door service, since then it's been fine. The postman here is a young and strong guy, he doesn't complain, just smiles.

I'm looking at either PD or MG for my 38 Super loads out of my Open gat.

My choices are between:

124 CMJ (MG)

or

124 FMJ (PD)

Which do you prefer and why? The cost difference is almost negligible, $360/3750(MG) and $352/4000 (PD), so I'm just looking for input on which one you like better. The guy I bought the gun from used PD, as a reference

where can you buy PD for 352.00 5K best I have found is 448.00

I'm looking at either PD or MG for my 38 Super loads out of my Open gat.

My choices are between:

124 CMJ (MG)

or

124 FMJ (PD)

Which do you prefer and why? The cost difference is almost negligible, $360/3750(MG) and $352/4000 (PD), so I'm just looking for input on which one you like better. The guy I bought the gun from used PD, as a reference

where can you buy PD for 352.00 5K best I have found is 448.00
He quoted 4k

So as a result of this thread, I got curious about PD, one of the few big names I haven't tried, and in particular I was curious about PD being slightly oversized and MG being slightly undersized. I got 2000 PD 9mm 124gr JHP, and 2000 38 Super 124gr RN supposed to be .356.

My calipers are decent -- Mitutoyo. They measure to the fourth digit after the decimal, but that digit comes in as only a 0 or 5, so I suppose it measures to the 2000th, or to a half a thousandth, depending on how you want to conceptualize it. Anyway, I checked ten of each.

Montana Gold 124 JHP -- all ten @ .3550

PD 9mm 124gr JHP -- 7 @ .3550, 3 @ .3555

PD 38 SUper RN -- 9 @ .3560, 1 @ .3565

I have no gauges to check the calipers, so maybe they're off a half a thousandth? I don't know. And even the results aren't to say the PD 9mm aren't consistently bigger than the MG. For all I know, my .3550 MG could range .3547-.3549 while the PD run .3553-.3557. I don't know. I am considering getting a good micrometer and a gauge, just to satisfy my curiosity. ;)

I am looking to forward to seeing how they print on paper.

So as a result of this thread, I got curious about PD, one of the few big names I haven't tried, and in particular I was curious about PD being slightly oversized and MG being slightly undersized. I got 2000 PD 9mm 124gr JHP, and 2000 38 Super 124gr RN supposed to be .356.

My calipers are decent -- Mitutoyo. They measure to the fourth digit after the decimal, but that digit comes in as only a 0 or 5, so I suppose it measures to the 2000th, or to a half a thousandth, depending on how you want to conceptualize it. Anyway, I checked ten of each.

Montana Gold 124 JHP -- all ten @ .3550

PD 9mm 124gr JHP -- 7 @ .3550, 3 @ .3555

PD 38 SUper RN -- 9 @ .3560, 1 @ .3565

I have no gauges to check the calipers, so maybe they're off a half a thousandth? I don't know. And even the results aren't to say the PD 9mm aren't consistently bigger than the MG. For all I know, my .3550 MG could range .3547-.3549 while the PD run .3553-.3557. I don't know. I am considering getting a good micrometer and a gauge, just to satisfy my curiosity. ;)

I am looking to forward to seeing how they print on paper.

Calipers are really only good for +/- .001, at best. For the best results, you really want a micrometer. That said, Mitutoyo makes really good products, the ones made in Japan being better than the ones made in Brazil, but I straight up don't trust digital calipers or mics. I use dial calipers and thimble mics at work because they can be re-calibrated. I'd say the results you got are fair and probably accurate though. I, for one, appreciate the time you took to satisfy your curiosity and post the results here.