Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Movement with a DA/SA pistol

jebeckjr

You guys realize how far off topic this is? :)

I almost feel guilty for bumping it over the edge into the abyss!
As penance for your crime, you must read ALL of the CO and PCC threads, in their entirety, 3 times each.

I believe punishment like that would fall into the cruel and unusual category and quite frankly might be illegal in most states.....Wait....it was punishment for Gomer?? Never mind....Carry on!

Thanks for all the responses, gang! I really appreciate the conversation, even if it strayed a bit from what I was asking. Just to be clear, my only question was around movement within a stage (from one shooting position to another) with a DA/SA pistol. For example, I have a Sig 226. Once the stage starts and I fire the first shot, I'm in SA mode- hammer back - with no external safety. I was curious as to whether I needed to decock the hammer if moving to another shooting position to continue to engage targets.

From what I've read, and what I believe is affirmed here, I just need to keep the pistol in a safe direction, and keep my finger outside the trigger guard, before moving.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the responses, gang! I really appreciate the conversation, even if it strayed a bit from what I was asking. Just to be clear, my only question was around movement within a stage (from one shooting position to another) with a DA/SA pistol. For example, I have a Sig 226. Once the stage starts and I fire the first shot, I'm in SA mode- hammer back - with no external safety. I was curious as to whether I needed to decock the hammer if moving to another shooting position to continue to engage targets.

From what I've read, and what I believe is affirmed here, I just need to keep the pistol in a safe direction, and keep my finger outside the trigger guard, before moving.

Absolutely correct.

You got it!

A course of fire must never require the competitor to re-holster a handgun after the start signal. However, a competitor may re-holster provided this is accomplished safely, and the handgun is either unloaded or in a ready condition stated in Section 8.1.

Note: it does not say THE ready condition, it says "A" ready condition. Hammer cocked, safety on is A ready condition stated in 8.1

The ready condition for production is not safety on, it is fully decocked, hammer fully down, for guns with external hammers.

That's the start position. Again, 8.2.5 says A ready condition, NOT "The ready condition for your division"

8.1.2.3 is A ready condition.

For production with a DA/SA trigger there is only one ready condition.

Equipment rules for production apply, not other divisions.

So 8.2.5 also states that you can re-holster an unloaded gun. Are you going to suggest that on a loaded gun start, a production shooter may not reholster an unloaded gun? Because it might not be in the same ready condition as it was at the start if its unloaded......