Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

When Is A Major Match Score A Classifier?

vincent

There were discussions at the recent Double Tap Championship that since there were 5+ GM's in both Open and Limited division that competitors in those divisions would have their division percentage entered as a classifier score.

I looked at the "Status of Uploaded Classifiers...Processed Classifiers" page on www.uspsa.com and it has an entry for the DTC match showing an upload date of 03/24/05. However a new classifier entry was not added to my Limited division classifier listing at the April refresh on 04/12/05.

Are the DTC match results actually not going to be counted as a classifier for Open and Limited?

What is the criteria for determining that the results for a given division at a given match will be entered as a classifier score?

Thanks,

-Vincent

I don't have the exact policy in front of me, but (from flawed memory)

If there were three or more GMs in a division, who shot GM-level scores, then the match *may* be used as a classifier for the division. I think the Sedro office has some discretion, but generally speaking if the match is a quality match, and the GM scores warrant validation as a 100% benchmark, it should be good to go.

Note that the GM thing is to avoid using a match as a classifier, where the GMs in the match crashed and burned and shot B-class scores or something. They want to make sure that the 100% mark is a valid metric for gauging the performance of the other shooters in the match.

Bruce

And some matches don't send it in, even when the match was a perfectly valid example of 3+ GM's who shot to their ability. I didn't move up FOREVER when I first started, because major matches just didn't take the time to try to get the match results as a classifier.

The Club Program manual mentions that in addition to having three GMs in a given division, the MD must request having the overall match scores count as a classifier by checking a box on the sanctioning application. Maybe that got missed(?).

Under the "What is 'Practical Shooting'" link on the USPSA.org front page is a section called "Scores From Major Matches". In it, there is a discussion of how the GMs must "perform at a level high enough to be considered a national standard", and "Each division is evaluated separately based on this criteria, so it may be possible for scores from one division to be used while another division is not."

HTH,

...Mark

Of course in Open at DTR, exactly 1 GM shot GM-level scores. :o

In fact MM2 spanked everybody else so bad that probably the only people a classifier score would be useful to are the extremely sandy ones and the U's.

Well, this news does not make me very happy at all!!

I thought the Florida State match would get put in as a classifier in Limited! Only problem was, there was only one GM in limited, and he CERTAINLY shot GM level scores, cuz he kicked everyone's butt!

I need to scores, but now it looks like it won't count! That stinks!

I am pretty sure the Match Director needs to request that the match be counted as a classifer. There is a check box on the app that the MD sends in.

Sometimes, Sedro will take a look at the match and see that a top GM shot it, and shot it well. Then, they might count the match...even if there weren't 3 GM's in the Division (the top GM would be a true "brand name" GM...like a Nationals Champion).

And Flex reminded me of the flip side of the coin. Last year in Production, there were several matches counted as classifiers where Masters won the match, or there were only 2 GM's. HQ supposedly did that to increase the # of GM's in Production cause there just wasn't many.