Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Costa

v1911

Recently picked up one of STI's newest offerings for 2016, the Costa VIP 4.0.

I was in the market for a new 2011 Guardian when I found this. I love it. Had everything I was looking for in the Guardian and a few more goodies to boot. While I'm not a fan of the Costa branding, the aesthetics were hard to ignore. It's my first handgun that isn't blued and I have to say, wow. I'm not sure if it's the DLC finish, but the fit and finish of this STI is much nicer than other models I've handled. I'd still like to get an SVI trigger installed, but that can wait.

acd66201-7efd-4e6c-b825-c788e880c890.jpg

fd8910d2-fd26-4b73-a793-baa38c67400a.jpg

9dfc45fb-db07-4030-9eaf-db340b24d69b.jpg

c523fc72-db07-41a8-80fd-9eebbdf57052.jpg

6941f75b-4829-4f59-93af-38dc88b823e7.jpg

be760960-dbf1-434d-a809-639796980b91.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

It doesn't care for powder puff loads. Runs reliably with 140pf loads and/or SD rounds. For carry use, the trigger is ideal. For competition I'd prefer a lighter pull. Won't be changing anything except getting an SVI trigger installed and if possible, a new guiderod system.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 9/26/2016 at 0:11 AM, Gridlock said:

That's really nice how dose it shoot for u 

Just shot a match with it a few weeks ago. I didn't do very well. The Heinie straight 8 sights aren't exactly conducive for competition shooting. At least not without a lot of practice. I kept hitting several inches low because I allowed the front dot to drift down towards the rear dot. The gun is also feels over sprung for powder puff 147gr loads. But when I review video, it looks very flat.

I sent it off to Bob Cogan to have the barrel flush cut and reverse crowned, SVI long flat trigger set to 3# as well as the safeties trimmed back. In the process of changing out the sights. Still undecided on fixed or adjustable.

I can understand that the aesthetics aren't for everyone. And not everyone will be fond of the branding on the side. I'm not a huge fan of the branding but it wasn't enough to stop me from buying one. The machining and rail is what sold me. And since STI tuned my 3 mags and sent me a free 4th, I've been a very happy camper. 

I don't normally upload videos of myself shooting but I happen to have one from this year's IDPA Nationals. It also shows exactly how badly I was shooting that day. What kills me is I'm not a very fast shooter but I'm normally very accurate. So I was slow and inaccurate. :unsure:

stage 1

Some pics of the work done by Bob's shop.

pic1

pic2

Edited by v1911