Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The quest for Open minor load for glock

joshxdm9

My quest started about 3 months ago when I acquired an open Glock to try my hand at the open game without spending 3k or more on a 2011 open gun. I knew from reading a lot of posts here that it may be a challange to make it a reliable open gun to shoot steel and 3gun with.

The gun is built on a 17 frame with a lone wolf 34 slide and threaded barrel with a Carver 3 port comp, fast fire dot on a carver mount. The ejection port was lowered a bit, solid guide rod with an unknown spring. I ordered a 11 lb spring for it to run minor loads. Never had any plans to run major with it.

So I have read EVERY POST here related to open glocks and running a good minor load with a light bullet and a slow powder to work the comp as much as possible with a minor load. Tons of good info for me to get started.

I got some 115gr jhp everglade bullets and 1 pound of 3n38 and 1 pound of hs6 to get started. All rounds were loaded with mixed brass and wsp primers. I started as long as I could load with glock mags that put me at 1.150 and then shortened to 1.130

Here is what I have so far

7.3g 3n38

1.150 oal

1152 fps avg.

132 pf

6.8g hs6

1.150 oal

1116 avg.

128pf

Noticed with these 2 loads they chrono very inconsistent so shortened oal to 1.130

Also changed to a 13 lb spring to see if little hotter load with shorter oal would still cycle and not slam the slide so hard.

7.3g hs6

1.130 oal

1367 avg.

157 pf

7g hs6

1.130 oal

1260 avg.

144pf

7.5g 3n38

1.130 oal

1246 avg.

143 pf

The 7g hs6 and the 7.5g 3n38 felt the best all loads ran GREAT in the gun and these two were very accurate at 10 yards (didn't shoot out any farther yet) what i did notice though is that the hs6 is pretty dirty. After about 20 rounds noticed a gold like dust in my barrel and chamber. Looks almost like it is blasting some of the jacketing off the rear of the bullet. So I picked up some 115g montana gold hp and some competition series everglade bullets to try them next.

Going to do some more testing at farther range for accuracy and the other bullets to see if it was the bullet causing the crud in the barrel.

One thing is for sure I am hooked on OPEN. already looking to sell a couple guns to fund a 2011 9mm ?

Im doing something similar but with a different gun and a different gun game. Put a comp on my CZ P09, and a FF3 and plan to shoot Action pistol and steel challenge. If you can find some, I have had good luck with Autocomp, seems to burn pretty clean and is giving me better accuracy at lower PF than HS6. Im also having very good results with AA#7, but if it isnt loaded to pretty high levels it leaves unburned powder throughout the barrel, but accuracy is superb.

I bought a tupperware Open Gun, Glock whatever for a GF to shoot, I still have it dumped her. I found that AutoComp made a good minor load with 121 gr Montana Golds, and think that I was using about 5.5-5.7gr. A major load is 7.0gr. I loaded these at 1.165. Yeah, as big as will fit the mag. The PF was about 140.

With lesser loads the gun did not cycle reliably, I was running an 11# recoil spring. The rest of the gun is all LoneWolf except for the tupperware part, sounds a lot like yours.

And that was a tame enough load for a 95# red headed hell cat to shoot. She did well in steel challenge with it, and good in USPSA as well.

Edited by CocoBolo

My question to you would be is there a difference in dot movement using the comp vs not having a comp? You may be able to shoot that gun with something like a frame weight and not even mess with tuning a comp. My 34 shooting minor is pretty tame. Just a thought.

My question to you would be is there a difference in dot movement using the comp vs not having a comp? You may be able to shoot that gun with something like a frame weight and not even mess with tuning a comp. My 34 shooting minor is pretty tame. Just a thought.

To me there is definitely a big difference in dot movement from using my minor limited gun load 3.4gr of n320 with a 147gr fmj. Not to mention it just feels very lazy..

I did some accuracy shooting last night and noticed a HUGE difference in dot movement and feel from the hs6 and 3n38. 7gr of hs6 and 7.5gr of 3n38 are basically at the same power factor at about 144. But the 3n38 has a very noticeable difference in thump and dot movement. HS6 is by far much smoother and flatter!! So from here on out I am going to stick with it. Going to try some 125gr everglade jhp and try some auto comp next.

josh..., I think you will like the 124/125 with Autocomp. You will also like it with HS-6.

I have a 3-port comp very similar to the one you have. My first port is larger and the side bleeder ports are a tad smaller, but overall they are equivalent. Here is what I found. With light and medium weight bullets, anything slower than HS-6 makes too much gas- more gas than the comp can clear before the bullet exits. The remainder jets out the front and increases felt recoil. It is loud and hard on the hands. Anything faster than Autocomp does not make enough gas to work the comp. If you want to use a slower powder, you need more ports.

Here is what I think you will find with the 124/125 Major or Minor. Autocomp will give you a sharper recoil sensation, more flash and higher pressures. It will burn cleaner. Dot movement is sharp, quick and it settles super quickly. The same PF with HS-6 will be a lot softer, dirtier and the muzzle will rise a little higher. The reason is it is not only gas volume that works the comp, gas velocity plays a role also. Autocomp will generate more pressure and will exit the comp with more force. The HS-6 load will be well down the psi range and the gas it produces will not have as much velocity. As you move up the scale toward Major, HS-6 will come into its own. Don't be afraid to move up to higher PFs if you are looking for flat shooting. If you want to stay Minor, you could also try a powder a little faster than Autocomp.

Anyone shooting bayou with hs6 or autocomp with comped guns? I have shot bayou for the last 2 years and really like them with n320 and titegroup out of limited and steel guns. They are much cheaper just didn't know if the coating holds up exiting the barrel and dirty up your comp?

Anyone shooting bayou with hs6 or autocomp with comped guns? I have shot bayou for the last 2 years and really like them with n320 and titegroup out of limited and steel guns. They are much cheaper just didn't know if the coating holds up exiting the barrel and dirty up your comp?

I shoot Bayou's with great success. Accurate a little less powder and some but not noticeable when shooting smoke.