Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

50th Year Anniversary Ruger 10/22 Failure to Feed

Wormie

I just purchased the 50th year anniversary Ruger 10/22 and took it out to the range the other day. I had nothing but problems with this gun. The rifle comes with with the 10 round magazine and the BX-25 magazine, both of which had issues. The first round would not feed on each magazine. It will not feed when there is only one round in the magazine. We used a variety of ammunition but the main one I use is CCI mini-mag. Looking at the brass, there appears to be a solid thick scratch running along side the brass and a gash in the bullet. When the failure to feed malfunction happens, I remove the magazine and the round then becomes chambered. This leads me to believe that it is the magazine, however, it is happening to both factory magazines. I have inspected for burrs and everything is really smooth. I have no clear idea what the issue is and it's quite disappointing due to the praise I hear for the 10/22s. If anybody can help me, I would love to get this gun running.

I bought one of those anniversary guns last Fall and it would drop a loaded magazine on the first shot. I have 9 Ruger mags to fit that gun and thought it was maybe the mag, but all 9 would do the same. Called Ruger and they sent me a Return Authorization to send the gun back. All it cost me was the trip to the "local" FedEx. Got it back in about 10-12 days and no further problems. It runs as expected of a Ruger.

Rather than struggle with the problems you're having, give them a call. They were very quick to suggest the return, so we aren't the only ones with a problem with that particular gun. At least that's my guess.

BTW, you got a BX-25 that somehow wasn't included with mine! I fell cheated!! NOT! :cheers:

I bought one of those anniversary guns last Fall and it would drop a loaded magazine on the first shot. I have 9 Ruger mags to fit that gun and thought it was maybe the mag, but all 9 would do the same. Called Ruger and they sent me a Return Authorization to send the gun back. All it cost me was the trip to the "local" FedEx. Got it back in about 10-12 days and no further problems. It runs as expected of a Ruger.

Rather than struggle with the problems you're having, give them a call. They were very quick to suggest the return, so we aren't the only ones with a problem with that particular gun. At least that's my guess.

BTW, you got a BX-25 that somehow wasn't included with mine! I fell cheated!! NOT! :cheers:

I'll second this. Ruger is too easy to deal with to try to fix it yourself. It should run right out of the box and when they don't, Ruger is known for their customer service.

It's always easiest to jump on Kidd and buy a new extractor. It's like 30 dollars to your door. Great addition to your gun. They also make a mag button and heavier spring to put in it. Between both of those your problem should be fixed. Also run it wet. 10/22s like lube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First thing I do on any 10/22 is:

-Replace extractor, usually with a Kidd. like 13$

-Remove bolt and refinish inside of receiver, which always seems rough. I make it smooth.

-Take down the bolt completely and polish it while looking for burrs, etc. I use wet/dry paper with oil and elbow grease. I don't go overboard, just clean it up and attend to the edges.

-Lube everything after a thorough cleaning (I don't take down trigger group unless switching out trigger. Which I always do, preferably with the Kidd Drop In kit). Lube not grease. I've found grease can slow it down when it cools.

-Visually inspect it closely....looks good! BUT, don't forget to check the barrel v-block screws for torque. If no TQ wrench, just snug and as equal as possible.

-Assemble

This has always made for a super reliable gun for me. Lots of peeps probably do a lot more, and some a lot less. I also usually add a nicer firing pin. It's cheap insurance. I use it for steel fast shooting, so that is really all that needs to be done with one, imo. Add optic or sights to taste. I've never had a dead reliable 10/22 out of the box. But none were horribly bad. They just need a little tuneup. Minimag should work great. It's what I use if I can find it!

All that said: the above guys gave good advice about returning it.

First thing I do on any 10/22 is:

-Replace extractor, usually with a Kidd. like 13$

-Remove bolt and refinish inside of receiver, which always seems rough. I make it smooth.

-Take down the bolt completely and polish it while looking for burrs, etc. I use wet/dry paper with oil and elbow grease. I don't go overboard, just clean it up and attend to the edges.

-Lube everything after a thorough cleaning (I don't take down trigger group unless switching out trigger. Which I always do, preferably with the Kidd Drop In kit). Lube not grease. I've found grease can slow it down when it cools.

-Visually inspect it closely....looks good! BUT, don't forget to check the barrel v-block screws for torque. If no TQ wrench, just snug and as equal as possible.

-Assemble

This has always made for a super reliable gun for me. Lots of peeps probably do a lot more, and some a lot less. I also usually add a nicer firing pin. It's cheap insurance. I use it for steel fast shooting, so that is really all that needs to be done with one, imo. Add optic or sights to taste. I've never had a dead reliable 10/22 out of the box. But none were horribly bad. They just need a little tuneup. Minimag should work great. It's what I use if I can find it!

All that said: the above guys gave good advice about returning it.

It probably won't solve your problem... but do what he said. For your issue, it might just need a break in or stronger spring though polishing the internals could help. Sounds to me like the bolt isn't returning with enough force when chambering the first round. You might be easing it forward rather than giving it a good snap out of slide lock.