Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Threaded barrel with thread protector for weight

obsessiveshooter

I've never seen this done, but why not add just a little extra weight up front by going with a threaded barrel and steel thread protector. It seems like that might add at least an ounce of weight in a good spot, but not be drastic and you could keep your kydex holster. I can't think of a good reason not to do this, especially if you're already going to buy an aftermarket barrel for your limited blaster.

Thoughts?

If we are already trying to gain weight in small steps, like with extended guide rods, why not this as well?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Wgl3, that's a nice sight block. I like how the machining matches your slide.

What I'm talking about is just a knurled thread protector on a threaded barrel. I don't think I want to try to turn my g35 into something that behaves like an Edge by bolting a brick to the front. I want to add a little more weight up front, but still have it be a glock. And I definitely want to keep the old blade tech holster.

Okay, I went to the lone wolf website to get some data so i could figure out what the weight gain would be. They have the factory length g35 replacement barrel listed at .34lbs. the threaded g35 replacement barrel is listed at .45lbs. the thread protector is listed as .069lbs.

So the weight gain over stock ought to be .179lbs. That is 2.864 oz. That is a significant improvement that wouldnt drastically alter the characteristics of the gun. If the lone wolf website data is correct, I think this is a great thing to try.

That sounds like a good idea. Would it still be legal in production?

Glock makes a lot of factory threaded barrel pistols, so I would think (depending on the model) that it would be. But I'm very new to the game, so can't say for certain.

A short look at Glock's website shows no threaded barrels standard from the factory. No barrels offered in the Glock website store are threaded. The USPSA rules state aftermarket barrels are allowed provided they are the same length, contour and caliber as original factory standard. I don't think threaded is the same contour as the standard barrel. Not legal for Production, but play in Limited, L10 and Open all you like.

A short look at Glock's website shows no threaded barrels standard from the factory. No barrels offered in the Glock website store are threaded. The USPSA rules state aftermarket barrels are allowed provided they are the same length, contour and caliber as original factory standard. I don't think threaded is the same contour as the standard barrel. Not legal for Production, but play in Limited, L10 and Open all you like.

I bought a factory threaded Glock 19 and 17

http://www.personaldefenseworld.com/2015/01/4-new-threaded-barrel-glocks/#dsc_2230-2

That article is a year old, so I'm sure more models are offered now too.

Edited by jmnielsen

They do offer factory Glocks with factory threaded barrel. One would need to buy that model and use it to be legal within the Production rules.

But to your point, yes, can just swap out a factory non-threaded barrel for a threaded barrel (factory or aftermarket) and run production. This would be illegal with current rules.

Why not just get a sjc frame weight?

OP wanted to keep using his current Kydex holster. SJC weight would require a new holster or run an open gaming holster.

You can get a regular kydex holster that works with the weight pretty cheap, that plus the weight I cant imagine would cost much if any more than a threaded barrel and a special heavy thread protector.

OP wanted to keep using his current Kydex holster. SJC weight would require a new holster or run an open gaming holster.
You can get a regular kydex holster that works with the weight pretty cheap, that plus the weight I cant imagine would cost much if any more than a threaded barrel and a special heavy thread protector.

Or go Bob Vogel's route and run lead in a WML shell. Which is still legal. And easier to find Kydex holster for a Glock with WML.

They do offer factory Glocks with factory threaded barrel. One would need to buy that model and use it to be legal within the Production rules.

But to your point, yes, can just swap out a factory non-threaded barrel for a threaded barrel (factory or aftermarket) and run production. This would be illegal with current rules.

And that model needs to be on the Production gun list.

The cost of the sjc weight and new kydex holster would be more than the cost of the barrel and standard thread protector. The main reason I don't like the idea of the sjc weight is that it adds so much weight that it would, I imagine, drastically change the characteristics of the glock. I already manage the recoil just fine and I love how quickly the gun transitions. But an extra couple ounces up front wouldn't hurt. Another reason is that the sjc weight makes an ugly gun even uglier. But that's just me.

• 7 months later...

Yes, you could add a tiny bit of weight to the front of the gun by doing this and be legal for limited only.  That said, there are lots of cheaper, and more effective ways of adding weight to the gun that are already legal for limited division.

I can 100% promise you that spending the same money on ammo and/or training will benefit your shooting more than a threaded barrel.  

• 8 months later...