Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ 85 Combat versus CZ 75 B?

SWHlctx

I recently bought a CZ SP-01 Tactical pistol. The guy I bought it from has a 85 Combat he wants to sell and is offering me a good deal on it since I bought the Tactical form him. I'm really tempted since guns are like potato chips and you can't have just one.

My question is what is the difference between the 85 Combat and the standard 75B? I've done some research and have been reading posts, etc., but I can't tell if there is any major difference.

I see a lot of posts about the 75B, but the 85 Combat not so much. The model he is selling is stock with the factory adjustable sight.

Is there any major differences or thing I should be looking out for on the 85 Combat that would make a difference in the games (USPSA and IDPA)? Is one model easier to modify or upgrade over the other?

85 combat has a lighter slide than the 75b. Comes with adjustable sights, ambi slide stop and a better trigger due to no firing pin block.

For games the 85 combat has the potential to have as good a trigger as any shadow but the beaver tail is lower and it has less weight out front. I bought one and sold it to a buddy and should have kept it as a backup or carry gun.

The CZ 85 Combat, like a Shadow has no firing pin block. It comes with an over-travel set screw in the trigger and a corresponding flat in the frame where the overt-ravel screw hits the frame. It also comes with a unique rear sight cut from the factory adjustable sight (just like the CZ Kadet slide). Ambi safety and slide stop. Aside form that its like a 75B.

If i could change anything about the 85c it would be the beaver tail and the rear sight/sight cut. Aside from that mine tuned up well.

Edited by Tok36

I had two custom SP-01 shadows, then I bought a pre b to play with... wound up liking it better than the SP-01 variants. I then bought an 85C and tuned it up as a backup gun. I use it and the pre b pretty much interchangeably as my production guns. The only thing I prefer on the SP-01's is the more generous magwell. Other than that, I prefer the short dust cover variants.

Edited by tha1000

Not sure about unique sight cut - I installed SP-01 Shadow sights onto 85C made in 1994 without any modification to the rear sight or slide. Please elaborate.

The 85c is milled out for the adjustable sight, so installing a fixed competition sight like the CGW rear could theoretically cause harmonics and eventual sight breakage... per David at CGW. CGW does offer an extended set screw to prevent this. The actual dove tail, however, is the same size as the 75B.

I decided to just keep the factory LPA rear after talking to CGW about it and have actually grown to like it. It could be cut a bit deeper, but all in all, it's a good sight once you black out the dots on it.

Edited by tha1000

Not sure about unique sight cut - I installed SP-01 Shadow sights onto 85C made in 1994 without any modification to the rear sight or slide. Please elaborate.

When you install a standard comp sight in the factory 85c dovetail there is an unsightly gap under the rear of the sight.

The 85c is milled out for the adjustable sight, so installing a fixed competition sight like the CGW rear could theoretically cause harmonics and eventual sight breakage... per David at CGW. CGW does offer an extended set screw to prevent this. The actual dove tail, however, is the same size as the 75B.

I decided to just keep the factory LPA rear after talking to CGW about it and have actually grown to like it. It could be cut a bit deeper, but all in all, it's a good sight once you black out the dots on it.

I actually tried cutting my 85c rear sight deeper. You can gain a little bit of depth but not much. I plan on having my rear sight cut re-profiled for another sight to install flush to the slide. I would rather get along with the factory sight but my other CZs have comp sights so i have been unable to do it.

Edited by Tok36

• 2 weeks later...