Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stock 2 9mm Ammo Question

rootacres

Hello Everyone,

I am going to be getting started with my own reloading. Primarily it will be for my stock 2. My question is, will I have complications shooting flat nosed ammo? Specifically 147 gr flat nosed ammo. I have heard that with the angle of the feed ramps that these guns prefer round nose ammo.

Any help would be great. Anyone have this experience?

Round nose will always feed better, but I shoot FN, RN, HP, etc in my guns without any issues. Just remember the OAL on a FP or HP bullet will need to be shorter. I usually set my dies up for a 124 or 147 RN, then I never change the height for HP or FP bullets.

I did the same as Nealio , I shoot primarily 124G HP so I set everything up for a shorter OAL . If I feel the need to load RN rounds I just switch to a different press . I have 2 9mm square deal B presses so it's pretty convenient for me just to set them both up for bullet type !

I learned about setting OAL for HP round shorter the hard way , I loaded several boxes and had nothing but feed problems . I was just getting into reloading at the time and honestly had zero clue as to what I was doing . But with help from some of the guys here I had everything squared away and have been good to go since !

What is the recomended OAL for 125 and 147 ???

Mj

Plunk test, determine max oal to just pass the test, make it some shorter. The "some" determined by your ability to hold uniform length. I needed to go down to 1.050 for some 147g bullets. Your number will be different from mine!

Mj

Plunk test, determine max oal to just pass the test, make it some shorter. The "some" determined by your ability to hold uniform length. I needed to go down to 1.050 for some 147g bullets. Your number will be different from mine!

Thanks.......is there an average ??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mj

Thanks.......is there an average ??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Probably around 1.08?... but some profiles can be 1.15. Since wll my 9mm barrels need short, but feed fine...I load short (1.060) so all are happy and have adjusted the powder for minor power. Edited by johnbu

I can get Rocky Mountain 147gr Hollow Point locally........ The questions is Should I go for it ??

I was told to load OAL 1.085 with 3.1 Tite Group for a 132PF

Any opinion on that ?????

I can get Rocky Mountain 147gr Hollow Point locally........ The questions is Should I go for it ??

I was told to load OAL 1.085 with 3.1 Tite Group for a 132PF

Any opinion on that ?????

First plunk test your barrel to verify oal.

Then I'd start down around 2.7gr and work up. Even though that looks about right for a minor load, I still love my fingers enough to start low and creep up. ;)

I personally shoot RN 124's from Bayou, 3.8grn Titegroup, 1.125 OAL.

That said, you should check out this info to see which Stock 2 you have.

"The barrel throat is shorter on the new model compared to the old. I have to load my lead ammo at 1.050" in the new one, however in the same old one I could load to 1.125" all day long"
http://www.brianenos...l=&fromsearch=1