Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone recognize this comp?

Resjudicata

The gun should be on it's way soon. When it gets here I'll post a better photo if anyone still wants one. Not sure what to do with that comp. Trim it or replace it.

The gun a cheap old school STI based open gun that was too good a deal to pass on. (I hope).

Chris Yotz

The gun should be on it's way soon. When it gets here I'll post a better photo if anyone still wants one. Not sure what to do with that comp. Trim it or replace it.

The gun a cheap old school STI based open gun that was too good a deal to pass on. (I hope).

Chris Yotz

What are you going to do with it? I didnt know you still shot. :goof:

Umm... and the correct answer is load that thing up with a stiff charge of slow powder and shoot the heck out of it. If you decide to replace the comp let me know and if it's what I think it is i'll buy it off of you to add to my antique race gun part collection.

Chris Yotz

What are you going to do with it? I didnt know you still shot. :goof:

I am going to try some open gun USPSA...maybe. I'm going to see how the gun shoots. Hoping the eyes can keep up.

Chris

Umm... and the correct answer is load that thing up with a stiff charge of slow powder and shoot the heck out of it. If you decide to replace the comp let me know and if it's what I think it is i'll buy it off of you to add to my antique race gun part collection.

Yeah, if I get rid of the comp I was thinking someone might want it for historic memorabilia. I'll be loading it up and shooting it as is first.

I found an advertisement in an old Front Sight from 1995 showing this type of comp. (Thanks to Titandriver for naming it). It looks like there is a passage from the first inside vertical port running forward to that underbite area for gas to escape. So, I doubt trimming the comp would be feasible anyway. We'll see.

Chris

Edited by Resjudicata

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone recognize this comp? Who made it and when?

I've tried searching here and on Google generally and can't come up with any info.

Comp%201.jpg

Comp%202.jpg

Thanks,

Chris

How did it shoot?

The Turbo comp is back different look its easier to the eyes.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153747277300973&set=pb.601585972.-2207520000.1461193417.&type=3&theater

Edited by Gfire7

The frame and slide are coming back from Doug Jones with accurails installed. The gun was a dirt cheap old worn out build that was just too loose to shoot well. So, sent it to Doug to tighten it up. It'll be here in a week or two. Then I'll try some majorish loads with HS6 to see how the comp feels. The only thing I tried before sending it off was some minor loads that of course could not run the gun.

BTW, it is definitely the old Limcat Turbo comp with the passages leading to the front underbite area. Interesting idea. But, impossible to clean those passages.

Chris

The frame and slide are coming back from Doug Jones with accurails installed. The gun was a dirt cheap old worn out build that was just too loose to shoot well. So, sent it to Doug to tighten it up. It'll be here in a week or two. Then I'll try some majorish loads with HS6 to see how the comp feels. The only thing I tried before sending it off was some minor loads that of course could not run the gun.

BTW, it is definitely the old Limcat Turbo comp with the passages leading to the front underbite area. Interesting idea. But, impossible to clean those passages.

Chris

Can't wait to hear about the update.

The concept of the comp was from the AR rifles, the passage came under the comp to redirect the gas upwards keeping the muzzle down keeping the gun flat. It has made a come back and it on Limcats guns now. Here's a link on how it look now https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153747277300973&set=pb.601585972.-2207520000.1461193417.&type=3&theater

With the comp I believe the only carbon build up you will get is in the front area. Im sure you've tried using some shooter choice or hopps to break the carbon let it sit for a minute or two, then use a Dremel 2-Count Aluminum Oxide Grinding Bits make sure to start slow. But Im not too sure is the diameter is right but its worth a try.

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=94855-353-453-03&langId=-1&storeId=10151&productId=1210065&catalogId=10051&cmRelshp=rel&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1

Chris

Can't wait to hear about the update.

The concept of the comp was from the AR rifles, the passage came under the comp to redirect the gas upwards keeping the muzzle down keeping the gun flat. It has made a come back and it on Limcats guns now. Here's a link on how it look now https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153747277300973&set=pb.601585972.-2207520000.1461193417.&type=3&theater

With the comp I believe the only carbon build up you will get is in the front area. Im sure you've tried using some shooter choice or hopps to break the carbon let it sit for a minute or two, then use a Dremel 2-Count Aluminum Oxide Grinding Bits make sure to start slow. But Im not too sure is the diameter is right but its worth a try.

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=94855-353-453-03&langId=-1&storeId=10151&productId=1210065&catalogId=10051&cmRelshp=rel&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1

I looked and looked and couldn't find any current reference to this comp. The facebook link isn't working for me. Any chance you might have another link?

I'm hopeful the gun will be here this week. If not then I'm sure it will be here next week.

Chris

aeb286547a4882f0b609d142e51d1633.jpgceb9e94b5be97a6bd097277b811ef155.jpg

These were from the first open gun I used when I started back in like 97-98. Still got the gun too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

A Factory2nds show resjudicata the new beastcat turbo comp my pictures are too big

Very cool looking gun (and car). :cheers: Interesting that yours has more top ports and no side ports. It will be interesting to see how this comp shoots.

I still haven't made it to the range with this. The hope is to make it this weekend.

BTW, if anyone questions what can be done to a worn out old gun then the answer is Doug Jones. The slide to frame as well as the barrel fit was crap on this gun. Got it back from Doug and it is tighter and smoother than any gun I've ever handled. And, I've handled quite a few 1911/2011 based guns. He even tightened up the barrel fit. His work is outstanding. :bow::bow:

Chris

aeb286547a4882f0b609d142e51d1633.jpgceb9e94b5be97a6bd097277b811ef155.jpg

These were from the first open gun I used when I started back in like 97-98. Still got the gun too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

I finally made it to the range with some test loads. The loads are 125gr Zero JHP .357 bullets with HS6 powder in 9mm at 1.160" OAL. Powder charges are 7.6, 7.8, 8.0, and 8.3. I'm using MBX mags and a 9 pound recoil spring.

Only the 8.3 loads all made power factor. The average pf for this load is 172. I'm thinking the larger diameter bullets need the extra powder. Accuracy was good. About 1.5-2.0 inches at 25 yards resting on the bench. Before getting accurails it was doing 4-5 inch groups. Real improvement. No pressure signs from this load using Federal SP primers.

The gun is very flat and soft shooting. Almost to point of feeling sluggish. I'm going to try 7 and 8 pound recoil springs as well as lighter hammer spring to try and liven the action up a bit. Also, the gun is still very tight from the accurail job. I expect that I will need to put some rounds through the gun to break it in.

This comp definitely works. And it is LOUD! :ph34r:

Chris

I finally made it to the range with some test loads. The loads are 125gr Zero JHP .357 bullets with HS6 powder in 9mm at 1.160" OAL. Powder charges are 7.6, 7.8, 8.0, and 8.3. I'm using MBX mags and a 9 pound recoil spring.

Only the 8.3 loads all made power factor. The average pf for this load is 172. I'm thinking the larger diameter bullets need the extra powder. Accuracy was good. About 1.5-2.0 inches at 25 yards resting on the bench. Before getting accurails it was doing 4-5 inch groups. Real improvement. No pressure signs from this load using Federal SP primers.

The gun is very flat and soft shooting. Almost to point of feeling sluggish. I'm going to try 7 and 8 pound recoil springs as well as lighter hammer spring to try and liven the action up a bit. Also, the gun is still very tight from the accurail job. I expect that I will need to put some rounds through the gun to break it in.

Chris

Nice!!! Yes definitely try a 7lbs variable spring from wolf and even try a 6lbs variable spring. Then if you can video yourself shooting in slo-mo and check the difference in muzzler flip. Your goal is to obviously get it flatter and without any dipping pass center.

Good luck

Chris

Nice!!! Yes definitely try a 7lbs variable spring from wolf and even try a 6lbs variable spring. Then if you can video yourself shooting in slo-mo and check the difference in muzzler flip. Your goal is to obviously get it flatter and without any dipping pass center.

Good luck

Yesterday I tried a 15# mainspring and 7# recoil spring. That livened the gun up. I'm getting ejection out a couple feet now. Before it was dribbling out of the port.

I still need to do some tuning on the extractor and ejector. Mainly the ejector. I'm getting some brass bouncing off the Cmore and stovepiping.

Do you know where I can find a 6# recoil spring. 7# is the lightest I've found.

Chris

Chris

Good luck

Yesterday I tried a 15# mainspring and 7# recoil spring. That livened the gun up. I'm getting ejection out a couple feet now. Before it was dribbling out of the port.

I still need to do some tuning on the extractor and ejector. Mainly the ejector. I'm getting some brass bouncing off the Cmore and stovepiping.

Do you know where I can find a 6# recoil spring. 7# is the lightest I've found.

Chris

Shooter connection. Here's the link. http://www.shootersconnectionstore.com/Wolff-19112011-Variable-Recoil-Springs-P3490.aspx