Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stage Equipment Failure Procedure

RickT

My wife had a target fail during a stage (probably a bolt). Took over ten minutes to fix. Now, we're middle of the pack seniors with nothing at stake, but she is wondering whether after having shot 2 strings prior to the failure she should have been given the option to re-shoot the stage. I couldn't find anything in the SCSA rules. Any thoughts from the MDs out there?

Yeah, since in Steel Challenge you shoot a stage 4 or 5 times, I'd think we keep any strings you shoot before the Range Equipment Failure and just reshoot the sting were the failure occurred and finish up any additional strings if needed.

Edited by jdphotoguy

I'm a MD and can't think of any reason you should be given a reshoot of the entire stage. There is also nothing in the current rulebook (2013 Provisional Rules) to grant a stage reshoot under the conditions you describe. Now, depending on the circumstances surrounding the plate failure I might award you a reshoot on that string where the failure occurred but certainly not on any previous strings ...

I agree with the others and that's how it was handled at the match last weekend when we had RFE. The problem was fixed and the shooter shot the remaining strings. In this case the plate that failed was the stop plate so there was no need for him to reshoot that one string.

Thanks, all makes sense. I'll pass on to my DW. This was the last stage at the end of a long day and the effect of warm temperature on my N320 loads in combination with a heavier recoil spring (that the factory had installed during trigger work) had the gun feeling different. I think my wife just wanted to get out of there. Didn't witness since we had split the squad to finish a bit earlier.

Was this a target failure or a gun failure?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Target failure. In club matches I have seen shooters get a string re-shoot in case of a gun failure, but I don't necessarily agree since gun failures are entirely within a competitors control.

A lengthy stoppage, let's say due to a (hopefully) non-gun related injury on the range might warrant consideration of a stage re-shoot, but it wouldn't matter to me one way or the other.

That is what I thought. Your comments about the n320 confused me. I've had my share of ammo issues. I have only asked for one reshoot ever and that was two ftf in a row to start a string after the previous four strings all had at least one ftf. Stupid primers!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Target failure. In club matches I have seen shooters get a string re-shoot in case of a gun failure, but I don't necessarily agree since gun failures are entirely within a competitors control.

A lengthy stoppage, let's say due to a (hopefully) non-gun related injury on the range might warrant consideration of a stage re-shoot, but it wouldn't matter to me one way or the other.

In The case of a gun failure you don't get a re-shoot of that string. You can remove the gun from the line to repair and return or exchange the gun as per the rules. You get to finish unfired strings but on the string that you started but couldn't finish...you get whatever time you scored. Once you start the run you eat it. That means in centerfire the run begins at the point you touch the gun and in rimfire at the moment you move the gun.

• 3 weeks later...

After the beep you are on your own. It sucks. I've been a victim of it but thats unfortunately the way it works. You hope you only have one bad string and move on. It's nearly impossible to come back from 2 bad ones at match.

I've never had a target fail though. If I were the MD I would have let you start that string over...

Edited by wyliearms