Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Iron sights advice for bay matches

NicVerAZ

For an AR?

I've always liked the DPMS rear sight, http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/sights/rear-sights/detachable-rear-sight-prod5556.aspx

Rock River makes a nice one too. Both have a large peep and a small peep.

As far as front sight, what's your barrel length and profile? If you have room for a JP FSB between your hand guard and comp, it's a very nice front sight. http://jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPGS-2FS

Pat's picture is faster than my typing. But the components are similar. Same rear sight, but his front looks like the Armalite FSB instead of the JP.

Yup you got the parts right...I save money where I can and the Armalite is (was) less than 1/2 the JP.

18" barrel light profile barrel for the speedy stuff....but that dang carbine rocks out long too!

Edited by P.E. Kelley

Pat's picture is faster than my typing. But the components are similar. Same rear sight, but his front looks like the Armalite FSB instead of the JP.

Yup you got the parts right...I save money where I can and the Armalite is (was) less than 1/2 the JP.

18" barrel light profile barrel for the speedy stuff....but that dang carbine rocks out long too!

Dumb question here. Is the front sight connected to the gas tube or you have separate gas block?

First my absolute admiration for Pat for saying CARBINE!!!! :)

Yes it is separate there is a gas block behind the sight, no tube to the front sight. Now I wonder where anyone came up with that idea? :lol:

To get the most sight radius, cut an extra slot in the picatinny rail at the back to allow the rear sight to mount flush with the back of the receiver. You gain almost another inch by doing so.

Edited by kurtm

I think the same guy that came up with this idea also came up with the idea of allowing 1x optics to shoot in Limited.

And we see how that turned out. Lots of limited shooters now, but rarely see iron sights. Of course, we rarely saw them before anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Bryan named them in post 3, DPMS rear and Armalite clamp on front. I use the DPMS rear on my flat top limited carbine with a Yankee Hill Machine folding front sight that I have drilled and tapped for a screw that takes out any movement. The front sight is clamped right behind the comp. I have an Armalite clamp on front sight base on my Heavy Metal rifle, right behind the comp, just like Pat's carbine in the picture. Both setups have served me well.

Hurley

I have a set of them. I believe they are the gold standard for flip up sights. Very tough and lock up solid. They are heavy though and expensive unless you can find a pair on sale. Troy makes them for a lot of company's so find a branding you want and go with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk