Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Another 929 thread barrel needs to be re-crowned ?

Shmella

So is this what everyone is talking about when they say the crown needs to be recut? Not sure how clear the pictures show it but the inside edges are very jagged and the outside edges are also choppy. This was the first time I looked close at the end of the barrel without the cap on. Disregard the dirtyness.

post-55741-0-82835200-1458607323_thumb.j

post-55741-0-59276100-1458607335_thumb.j

post-55741-0-76086300-1458607346_thumb.j

Edited by Shmella

That one was poorly done for sure. In this particular case it's all cosmetics. The part that matters for accuracy is the junction where the inside of the barrel meets the end of the barrel. On this one it's a good square end which will release the bullet cleanly all the way around. A lot of benchrest rifles are crowned that way with a flat counterbore.

Joe @ MoJo Custom told me to open up the hole on the cap.He does it to the guns that are sent to him. I didn't want to send him just the cap so I opened it up on my drill press to 7/16" & cleaned it up with the dremel. Looks the balls & no more build up of crud. Pete

Does opening the hole push less gas out the top port, reducing compensator's effect?

IMO The comp does absolutely nothing. But, people are opening up the hole on the cap because there has been reports of them being undersized a bit and making contact with the bullets on the way out

Does opening the hole push less gas out the top port, reducing compensator's effect?

This barrel design comes with a protective cap and a compensator so you can switch them out with an allen wrench. I'm assuming the OP was using the non vented cap. The compensator has angled slits instead of ports that aren't very effective especially shooting minor loads. Randy Lee rebuilt one for Julie Golob in which he opened up the comp to just one large port

http://www.downrange.tv/blog/countdown-to-irc-randy-lee-on-competition-revolvers/3659/

This barrel design comes with a protective cap and a compensator so you can switch them out with an allen wrench. I'm assuming the OP was using the non vented cap. The compensator has angled slits instead of ports that aren't very effective especially shooting minor loads. Randy Lee rebuilt one for Julie Golob in which he opened up the comp to just one large port

http://www.downrange.tv/blog/countdown-to-irc-randy-lee-on-competition-revolvers/3659/

Reminds me of a compensator barrel shroud we added to 625s for bowling pins.

Edited by GMM50

Randy Lee rebuilt one for Julie Golob in which he opened up the comp to just one large port

3.5 pound trigger pull? I've never even heard of that! Sounds kinda fun! I didn't modify the cap on mine. I'm not really sure why it's still on there...

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to have to borrow one of those guns with a 3.5 lb trigger just to see if it does me any good. Right now I'm at just about 5 lbs and don't have problems with trigger release. At my age I think I will for go it but you can never tell. I may have to do it just because.