Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help me decide

Ok so I have a Dillion square deal set for one caliber of 9mm,also have a 550 that I'm loading .223,.40 and .45 not much on the .45 maybe 1000 rounds a year.So I been pondering a 650 for the .40 as a dedicated machine but Brian was thinking maybe just do 5000 rounds between caliber changes.Thinking about this and thought humm maybe a case feeder on the 550 would speed things up and make loading easier.What do you guys think?

Brian has been doing this for a LONG time. I'd go with his advise. If you really want to buy something,( I know how that feels :closedeyes: ) then you might read the Forum posts here on the casefeeder for a 550 vs 650. Lots of good stuff on the search function.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=221651&hl=%2B550+%2Bcasefeeder#entry2471426

http://www.brianenos.com/pages/dillon.html#which

These are from Brian's store..

http://www.brianenos.com/pages/dillonfaqs.html

The 650 is an awesome machine. If you get dedicated tool heads for 40 and 9mm and a separate primer system, caliber conversions will be quick: a set screw and a bolt for the shell plate, 2 screws for the primer system, and 2 pins for the shell plate. It will take a couple of minutes longer if you don't have a second primer system.

Since you're looking at buying a new press anyway, you can sell the SDB and use the $$$ for caliber change parts to make caliber changes quick and easy, and you will LOVE the 650.

Edited by StraightSh00ter

The 650 is an awesome machine. If you get dedicated tool heads for 40 and 9mm and a separate primer system, caliber conversions will be quick: a set screw and a bolt for the shell plate, 2 screws for the primer system, and 2 pins for the shell plate. It will take a couple of minutes longer if you don't have a second primer system.

Since you're looking at buying a new press anyway, you can sell the SDB and use the $$$ for caliber change parts to make caliber changes quick and easy, and you will LOVE the 650.

I assume you mean between 9 and 45, cause 9 and 40 are both small primer => no primer system changes. Even faster!

Your first priority is budget. If any of these options fit your budget, then you need to decide what works best for you.

Your SQD is dedicated to 9MM and you have no issues.

Your 550 is manual, and you switch between calibers, 40, 45, and 223.

Option 1. Case feeder for 550.

Pro: right hand remains on lever, left hand feeds bullet and rotates shell plate.

Con: 550 was not designed for a case feeder, case feeder was designed as retrofit for 550.

Bullet feeder would be tough addition if you went that way.

You would still have to change between large and small primers.

Option 2. 650 with case feeder.

Pro: Self indexing

Designed to be used with a case feeder

5 stations, one can be dedicated to powder check or bullet feeder. (There are economical bullet feeder options)

Can be set for small primer with existing 550 dedicated to 45 LPP.

Cons: Higher start up costs.

new conversion kit.

new tool head.

additional shell plate for small rifle.

Keep in mind that the case feeder for 550 and 650 are different, I don't know if the case feeder part itself is interchangeable. Cant thing of a reason why not, but you never know.

My recommendation is if budget is tight, get the 550 case feeder.

If budget allows, go for the 650 with case feeder,plus additional parts to allow 40 and 223.

If still on the fence, go through the forum and look for the many posts where the poster says "i wished had gone with the 650 first'. There are many.

BTW I have a 650 with case feeder and bullet feeder. I load for 4 pistol calibers.

Good luck.

Thanks for the input.im loading about 10k of .40 right now but I'm about to start shooting uspsa currently just shooting steel matches but with practice and adding a sport for me and the wife it will probably be double or triple for ammo needed.

Brian has been doing this for a LONG time. I'd go with his advise. If you really want to buy something,( I know how that feels :closedeyes: ) then you might read the Forum posts here on the casefeeder for a 550 vs 650. Lots of good stuff on the search function.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=221651&hl=%2B550+%2Bcasefeeder#entry2471426

These are from Brian's store..

http://www.brianenos.com/pages/dillonfaqs.html

Thank you for the links!

The 650 is well worth the extra money plus lifetime warranty. Can't beat that. I started on a 650 and glad I did. I don't worry I didn't start on a single press. Took a couple reads of the manual, Dillons 650 DVD and quite abit on facebook. I had it down in no time

I assume you mean between 9 and 45, cause 9 and 40 are both small primer => no primer system changes. Even faster!

Yeah, my mistake. Thanks.

I think I'm getting the 650 ,defiantly keeping the 550 for .223 but as suggested I might sell the square deal and load 9mm and .40 on the 650. I think if I sell the square deal and use the money for a Caliber conversion and powder measure I would be set.Thank you for the help guys.

The 650 is well worth the extra money plus lifetime warranty. Can't beat that. I started on a 650 and glad I did. I don't worry I didn't start on a single press. Took a couple reads of the manual, Dillons 650 DVD and quite abit on utubeand I had it down in no time

Agreed don't bother. It was made a long time ago (it's one of the old thin platform 650s in the vid). It basically just goes through the manual with visuals.

The manual is plenty good enough and theres so much material here and on YouTube to help you.

Thanks that will save 20 bucks then.

You're reloading 30,000 rounds per year, and interested in saving $20. :roflol: :roflol: :roflol: :roflol:

BTW, if I were loading 100 rounds/day, I'd seriously think about the 1050. :cheers:

No need to waste money as most of my money goes into reloading.Last Sunday 4 of shot just over 1000 round at our steel match I was thinking about the 1050 but I really like the lifetime no B.S. Warranty on the 650.Ive used it on both my Dillion presses in the past and still can't believe how great Dillion stands behind their product.

Thanks that will save 20 bucks then.

You're reloading 30,000 rounds per year, and interested in saving $20. :roflol: :roflol: :roflol: :roflol:

BTW, if I were loading 100 rounds/day, I'd seriously think about the 1050. :cheers:

No need to waste money as most of my money goes into reloading.Last Sunday 4 of shot just over 1000 round at our steel match I was thinking about the 1050 but I really like the lifetime no B.S. Warranty on the 650.Ive used it on both my Dillion presses in the past and still can't believe how great Dillion stands behind their product.
Don't all their presses come with the same warranty..? If you are shooting 1000 rounds a day, seems like a 1050 would probably be good. Or a 650 with a bullet feeder.

All Dillon presses come with the Most Fantastic Warranty - except the 1050 - no warranty.

I've never even seen a 1050, but I've read here that most people with a 1050 have

never needed the warranty - they're supposed to be Very Reliable. :cheers:

BTW, that's 100 rounds per day, not 1,000.

Edited by Hi-Power Jack

All Dillon presses come with the Most Fantastic Warranty - except the 1050 - no warranty.

I've never even seen a 1050, but I've read here that most people with a 1050 have

never needed the warranty - they're supposed to be Very Reliable. :cheers:

BTW, that's 100 rounds per day, not 1,000.

Why does the 1050 not have a warranty? Seems odd that the fastest, flagship press is the only one they don't stand behind.

And the 1000 I was talking about was how much he shot at the steel match, that wasn't very clear.

Edited by Gooldylocks