Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lee bullet seating die shaving brass

StraightSh00ter

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get the Hornady seating die. It has a sleeve to align the bullet before seating it.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

It won't straighten a bullet that is laying crossways on a case
Fair point. But it will straighten a bullet that's tipped slightly.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

They pretty much all will? My Dillon did and my Redding does. BUT they are all good dies. It's generally a very small adjustment that fixes things.:)

IceStud - good idea.

Sarge - thanks. I was only finding the competition die (w/ mic).

I thought there would be a straight section within the die before the taper starts, but that's not the case. So basically the die will let a .015" flare just barely fit before starting to crimp. And due to the machining marks all over the chamfer and inside the die, a .015" flare will end up shaving brass.

A .010" flare is as big as I could make it and get it to smoothly enter the die, but this requires using some force when placing the bullet to get it to hold w/o tipping over. With .016" flare, the weight of my hand and bullet gives enough resistance to keep the bullet in place with the press running at a normal pace.

Where are you seating the bullet? You should be putting it on under the seating die, not the station before. I just can't figure out why a bullet won't go straight up without tipping. This press is kicking your ass!:)

IceStud - good idea.

Sarge - thanks. I was only finding the competition die (w/ mic).

I thought there would be a straight section within the die before the taper starts, but that's not the case. So basically the die will let a .015" flare just barely fit before starting to crimp. And due to the machining marks all over the chamfer and inside the die, a .015" flare will end up shaving brass.

A .010" flare is as big as I could make it and get it to smoothly enter the die, but this requires using some force when placing the bullet to get it to hold w/o tipping over. With .016" flare, the weight of my hand and bullet gives enough resistance to keep the bullet in place with the press running at a normal pace.

Where are you seating the bullet? You should be putting it on under the seating die, not the station before. I just can't figure out why a bullet won't go straight up without tipping. This press is kicking your ass! :)

Haha - I don't think I'd say it's kicking my ass, but I'll admit I still have a lot to learn. :)

With less flare there is less friction holding these bullets upright. A few of them tipped during my last loading session (loading just under the seating die). But I'm reading about how different seating dies work and looking at the SAAMI spec (which Redding references), and getting a better understanding of flare diameter and die positioning relative to case depth.

Then there's the piece about bullet shape and flare (expander) profile (e.g. why people like the MBF funnel, or "M die").

There's something weird going on. During die setup I've turned cases into trumpets with the dillon powder funnel and they still went into seating and crimp dies ok. In fact a couple that were bad I took out and put them straight back through the sizing die and that worked too. They have to be really knackered to not fit into the lee seater. Check it's the correct die. And smooth out any marks as suggested. Should solve it.

There's something weird going on. During die setup I've turned cases into trumpets with the dillon powder funnel and they still went into seating and crimp dies ok. In fact a couple that were bad I took out and put them straight back through the sizing die and that worked too. They have to be really knackered to not fit into the lee seater. Check it's the correct die. And smooth out any marks as suggested. Should solve it.

Smoothing out the seater die made a huge difference in how much flare the die will fit.

My only issue now is finding the right amount of flare to hang on the bullets. Using .016" of flare (a lot) will hold on to bullets regardless of head stamp. Less than that doesn't grip bullets at all, until I get down to about .005" which also holds bullets nicely. Unfortunately I get a lot of variation with different head stamps and adjusting that small amount of flare is a PITA for different head stamps.

Do you hold onto the bullet while you raise the ram into the toolhead? I usually guide the bullet into the seating die with my left hand. I'm not sure if that is ideal if you are going for speed, but I don't really worry about how much time it takes.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

What an interesting thread. I'm not trying to be a smart ass. We all drank the Blue Kool-Aid, have another gulp and get the Dillon dies.

I load on a 550. To keep up with feeding the guns I might load weekly, twice a month or once a month. I don't need problems when I load.

Mostly load a 9mm 124gr plated FP. If I change to a different bullet, the seating die is adjusted for bullet shape and length and the powder charge changes, that is all I change.

Sizing a case doesn't change, belling doesn't change, crimp doesn't change. It's range brass, mostly from our guns (our brass is marked), so is case length different from different head stamps, yes. Is sizing length different, yes. Is belling size different, yes. Is seating length different, yes. is crimp different, yes. Different by how much, it's in the .001 of inch numbers, not .010.

Re-shaping dies....WHY ! IMHO.....Lee, RCBS, Reeding, etc.... all make a good product for their equipment. Dillon makes a better product for their equipment.

The time spent on re-shaping dies, and trying this and that is not worth the $30 or $40 bucks to be saved on dies.

I would rather be adjusting OAL and powder charge for a more accurate rd. for a gun.

I understand the XL650 machines have a more complex sequence that needs to be tweaked due to the automatic advance of the shell plate but why complicate it more.

The mechanical function of the press is #1, #2 are the dies. The dies are what shapes that brass, it's that shape that perfectly releases that bullet to enter the barrel and contact the lands so the bullet doesn't "shake" and seals in the grooves so the powder charged that is burning creating all that "gas" is efficiently trapped and used to propel that stable, spinning bullet to your target.

Wow got a chubby typing that last part.

I agree that it's annoying to have to 're-shape' a die. I didn't really want to, but with the right sanding bit on the Dremel it was easy and quick to remove the machining marks, and it came out pretty nice.

Last night I experimented using the Lee powder-through expander die in station 3, with the Dillon powder die backed out enough to not flare anything. I was able to get the flare perfect. It was easy and quick to setup, and the Lee die allowed a little tolerance - I could dial in a little more or a little less and still have the right flare in every brand of case to hold a bullet secure enough for seating.

I also experimented with the Dillon funnel - trying different amounts of flare with different case brands and 2 different RN bullets. I couldn't find a common flare that worked (provided some friction) for every combination.

So, I personally have come to the same conclusion as the others who've changed out the Dillon funnel (or re-shaped it :) ), or run a separate expander die. I think the best option (for me, hand-feeding bullets) is a new or modified funnel, so I'm not expanding full cases and since the right funnel won't require adjusting for different brass. If I wanted to tweak the flare for different head stamps and/or knew I wouldn't make a mess expanding charged cases, a stand-alone expander die with fine adjustment would be OK.

Edited by StraightSh00ter

I definitely do not consider smoothing milling marks to be "reshaping" a die.

If Dillon dies work well for you, then go for it. My reloading mentor used Lee dies, so that is what I learned on. I have never had a problem with the 45 and 40 dies I bought several years ago, but the 9mm dies I picked up a few years ago weren't as smooth on the inside. Once I figured out out, it only took me 10min to fix. I spend more time adjusting the dies anyway.

You can move the powder drop to station 3. So you can put your lee expander in s2 so it's not expanding a charged case (not that it should really matter) then run your dillon powder drop in s3. You could either back off the flare in the dillon or swap out the ptx for a regular non flaring powder funnel.

Why move the powder drop to s3? Does the fail safe bar work with the powder drop that far over?

That came from my thought that expanding a charged case might make a mess, assuming powder measure in station 2 was setup not to flare. I ran a few rounds with the Lee expander in station 3 and didn't see much of a mess, but I also wasn't anywhere close to full speed. The flare was perfect, however. I looked at having the powder measure in station 3 and it looks doable, maybe needing a slight adjustment of the fail-safe rod or attachment, but maybe not.

I'm really happy with the flare/expansion I get from the Lee die - just a small amount of flare and bullets seem to sit just right on every head stamp I load with.

I'll keep the Lee in station 3 for now, until I've had a chance to try the MBF funnel. I'm also considering a modification to a Lee expander to make it work in the Dillon die, but that won't happen until I've finished a few other projects. It should be relatively quick with a drill press and a file...

Yes you can run the dillon measure in s3. No mod needed to the failsafe. You can remove the failsafe of you like and run the 2 springs on the measure.

Yes you can swap to the lee measure too.

To get it running on the dillon you need:

Lee powder die with ptx (if you have a lee 3 or 4 die set you have this already)

Lee auto disk riser (I actually run 2 so it clears my mbf die) about $9

Lee auto drum $35 it's an excellent measure. In some ways it's better than the dillon.

But running the way you are now will work too.

• 1 month later...

I've loaded about 1,500 rounds since I setup the machine to drop powder only in Station 2, and expand/flare in Station 3 with the Lee die. This setup is working extremely well - no brass at all on the shell plate and hardly any powder. I thought expanding a charged case would lead to powder spillage but I was wrong. The shape of the Lee expander seems so much more compatible with my bullets and brass. I haven't had any tipped bullets and I'm running all mixed brass.

I ran about 900rds/hr today and was very pleased running the machine. There may be something more creative but I really don't need extra projects at the moment.

Edited by StraightSh00ter

I run a set of lee dies. The seating die is a little rough on the inside.

and I would call the stuff on the shellplate dust.

I did the same as bowenbuilt advised, I polished the entrance and into the mouth of the die.

I see very little dust now.

miranda

not sure what happened with my first post...

Edited by Miranda

I ended up doing the same. my shell plate would be covered in brass dust after not many rounds. I turned it down a little on a lathe and after 4000+ rounds, not a spec of brass dust. Not sure why them make it so rough. I know....cost...