Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Light strikes

brytec

I have an open glock 34 that's been acting up... Light strikes pretty much with every stage at a match... Using freedom munitions remanufactured ammo 115gr... Not sure if it's from the ammo or the gun itself... And if it is the gun, what part of the gun would the most likely cause this issue? Thanks a lot for your thoughts!!

Next time you have a light strike examine the primer to see what happened. If the strike is in the center of the primer then you will need to get a lightened striker or heavier striker spring. If the strike is off center then the slide was not fully in battery when the striker was released so you have a cyclical issue and/or a recoil spring/striker spring weight imbalance.

If you have lightened your trigger, in a Glock, that will also reduce the firing pin striped weight.

So most Glock shooters only run ammo with federal 100 small pistol primers because they are the lightest and easiest to set off!

I'd suggest trying Fed 100 primers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I run an open Glock 17 and have to go to at least a 4.5-5# striker spring on a Zev SS lightened striker to reliably set off the primers. With a 4# spring I occasionally have light strikes. If you are using factory ammo it is better for it to fire than to have a slightly lighter feeling trigger. If you are reloading make sure your primers are set correctly, high primers will cause light strikes.

gerritm

Next time you have a light strike examine the primer to see what happened. If the strike is in the center of the primer then you will need to get a lightened striker or heavier striker spring. If the strike is off center then the slide was not fully in battery when the striker was released so you have a cyclical issue and/or a recoil spring/striker spring weight imbalance.

It seemed like the hits are combo of center and off center

I run an open Glock 17 and have to go to at least a 4.5-5# striker spring on a Zev SS lightened striker to reliably set off the primers. With a 4# spring I occasionally have light strikes. If you are using factory ammo it is better for it to fire than to have a slightly lighter feeling trigger. If you are reloading make sure your primers are set correctly, high primers will cause light strikes.

gerritm

I'm using the factory striker spring right now and factory striker

If you have lightened your trigger, in a Glock, that will also reduce the firing pin striped weight.

So most Glock shooters only run ammo with federal 100 small pistol primers because they are the lightest and easiest to set off!

I'd suggest trying Fed 100 primers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm using zev fulcrum trigger in the lightest setting

I have 4 lb striker springs and lightened/extended strikers in my Glocks and have 100% ignition using CCI SPPs. I have Zev, Jager and DEM strikers in different guns and all run 100% with 4 lb springs. I know a lot of guys who run similar setups with no issues, and none of them use Federal primers, in fact just about everyone I know hates reloading with Federal primers as they are so soft. Start by cleaning your gun, and clean it well. Do a full detail strip and clean everything inside and out. Shine a light into the firing pin channel and check the channel liner for cracks/gouges/burrs/debris. If you are using the factory striker you will need to use at least a 4.5 lb spring to avoid light strikes. If you want to run a 4 lb spring get a lightened/extended striker.

I have 4 lb striker springs and lightened/extended strikers in my Glocks and have 100% ignition using CCI SPPs. I have Zev, Jager and DEM strikers in different guns and all run 100% with 4 lb springs. I know a lot of guys who run similar setups with no issues, and none of them use Federal primers, in fact just about everyone I know hates reloading with Federal primers as they are so soft. Start by cleaning your gun, and clean it well. Do a full detail strip and clean everything inside and out. Shine a light into the firing pin channel and check the channel liner for cracks/gouges/burrs/debris. If you are using the factory striker you will need to use at least a 4.5 lb spring to avoid light strikes. If you want to run a 4 lb spring get a lightened/extended striker.

I'll check that, thanks taxi

Check that the firing spring and pin have not built up with gunk and oil, needs to be clean and dry

Thanks noexcuses, I'll do that, I'm not the cleanest when it comes to gun cleaning, lol

gerritm

Thanks Gerr