Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock trigger not resetting

taxil343

I shoot a gen 4 17 for USPSA Production and yesterday took a 0 on the last stage of the match due to the gun malfunctioning. After the first 4 shots of the stage the trigger did not reset, slide cycled fully, ejected case, chambered next round, fully in battery yet the trigger was still against the rear of the trigger guard. I cycled the slide by hand and went back to shooting. 5 more rounds and the same scenario above repeated itself. I racked the slide with no change to the trigger. Racked it again and the trigger reset. Fired one round and no reset, racked the slide and no reset. At this point I turned to the RO and told him I was finished. I dropped the mags at my bag and headed to the safe table tools in hand. Upon disassembly I found absolutely nothing out of the ordinary. Trigger, striker and fps safety springs are not broken, connector looks fine, trigger bar and striker look fine, ejector housing looks fine, everything looks perfectly normal. To make things worse I put it back together and after the match was over ran a few mags through it without a hitch. The gun was not particularly dirty, I cleaned it before the last match so only around 350 rounds since the last cleaning. I usually only clean every 3 matches or around the 500 round mark and use slide glide for lubrication. I'm running a Vanek Classic Grandmaster trigger kit with a 4lb striker spring. Every part of the fire control group came in the kit and trigger kit and gun now have 3500-4000 rounds on them. Anyone have an idea what the issue is? Tired springs? Worn reset tab on the connector? When I can't pinpoint the problem in my guns I generally just replace every part that could be the culprit, however I love this trigger kit an would rather not do that. Anyone who can chime in with advice other than "put the stock parts back in it" will be greatly appreciated.

if the housing has the pre/over travel screw in it back it out just a gnat hair. it might have turned in ever so slightly keeping the bar from resetting all the time. i speak from experience, add a little loc-tite for security.

Couple of things I would check.

Along with the trigger spring in the "S" configuration, make sure it's centered on the trigger bar. Sometimes they shift off to the side on reassembly.

Trig%20Sprng%202A%20web_zpsbf5hj6ot.jpg

Trig%20Sprng%201A%20web_zps5dptbw7a.jpg

The Vanek connectors are really nice but check to make sure yours hasn't gotten bent inward too much. That can cause lack of spring in the connector and not reset the trigger. This can also cause intermittent reset problems.

Lastly, I'd check that there is proper engagement with the firing pin lug and the rear end of the trigger bar cruciform. You should have 2/3rds of the cruciform covered.

SlideCovArmweb_zpsa53e418c.jpg

Dave

Trigger spring was installed correctly and in the Vanek kit there is an extra hole on the trigger bar above the factory one that relocates the trigger return spring. The spring goes through the new hole drilled above the factory one and hooks down into the factory hole so there is no chance for the spring to become incorrectly positioned on the trigger bar. The problem isn't that the trigger was not resetting FULLY, it is that the trigger was not resetting AT ALL. The rear of the trigger bar was not popping up beside the connector when the slide was at the rear of the cycle so the rear of the cruciform did not catch on the face of the striker as it came back into battery. The Vanek kit uses a factory trigger spring so that's what is in the gun.

Usually that bottom hole on the trigger bar is just cut off maybe that's in the way. Also the curved part on the slide is what cams the connector to let the bar pop up, sometimes there's not enough travel to let the bar pop up. I would start replacing with stock parts one by one too find out the cause.

I'm running a Vanek Classic Grandmaster trigger kit with a 4lb striker spring. Every part of the fire control group came in the kit

That's the problem. Glocks work OK with stock parts but have a million ways to go wrong with aftermarket or modified parts.

Without examining, hard to know. Could just be a spring imbalance keeping the trigger bar from resettting.

Can you duplicate it hand cycling snap caps?

Edited by bountyhunter

OP. Not sure if you got this fixed. But as rooster stated it most likely is trigger return spring. I usually do not use them in any Gen 4 for that reason and is usually the most repairs I do on people with glock issues.. If that does not correct the problem you probably have to bend out the disconnector a tiny bit. Watch the ghost video on the proper bend.

• 6 years later...

I have a Glock 17 too but generation 5 so I can't say that the parts in question are the same or not. I had the same problem and went at it for hours to try to figure out why my trigger would not reset all the time. Excuse me for not being an expert and not knowing the names of the parts exactly but I was able to find out exactly what the problem was.

I changed the striker spring, safety plunger spring, and connector with aftermarket parts. The problem was in the lower assembly of the pistol and not the slide after changing the parts to aftermarket and back many times in order to figure out where the problem was coming from. The solution was not anywhere I can find online on any tutorial.

The area to look at is in the trigger housing towards the rear where you find the connector and metal part shaped like a crucifix. There is a little metal hinge that latches onto the crucifix that is located within the plastic housing in the rear. The function of this mechanism is to provide enough forward pressure of the trigger to allow the pistol to cycle properly.

Once I found and latched this springed hinge onto the crucifix, it worked like a charm. It is not enough to angle the part in and out of the rear trigger housing but you also need to latch that part into the hinge that provides forward pressure to the trigger to allow it to catch the striker while the gun cycles. I hope this helps.

Edited by Ray78