Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Double Alpha holster insert for 929?

mikeAZ

Looks like I have the wrong insert (S&W 625) for my DAA Racemaster holster when it's set up for my 929.... Occasionally, the 929 won't come out of the holster or it's way difficult to withdraw . I finally did a little research and it seems "they" offer 2 models now, one for the 625 and one for the 686 and all are magnetic now instead of the "old" style which I have.

I found a article about why the switch to the magnetic version of the insert and it was exactly the same problem I have. ( The sharp edge of the trigger guard pushes the plastic slide down part before it is supposed to).... SO, for the experts out there is the "N" frame on the 929 the same as the 686 OR is it like the 625?.

Maybe someone has had a similar problem???, We you able to "fix" the old style insert? (I really don't like the magnetic stuff)....

Edited by mike NM

My "625 magnetic" insert fits my:

multiple 627s

multiple 327s

929 will fit

686 ( will fit loose )

Maybe some hand filing of problem contact areas inside the block are in order.

Edited by alecmc

The 686 is an "L" frame. The 625 and 929 are "N" frames. I used to use a AA Racemaster that was the old style and they sometimes needed a little extra fitting. I got sick of it never drawing consistent and quit using it. Maybe the new style is the answer.

My N frame insert (magnetic style) needed some minor filing to fit my 929. It fit every other N frame I had (627 PC, 627 V Comp, 629s, 625) fine. The front of the 929 trigger guard was maybe .003 or .03 thicker than the others.

Once I fixed that with a little , I realized the sliding insert was not well shaped and was actually binding on the side of the trigger itself. This kept my guns from snugging into the block as well as they could. Fixed that by relieving a small section of that block and now all my guns fit the holster better. I'll take pics tomorrow if you're interested.

Edited by peterthefish

I have the N frame magnetic insert (box labeled 625) for my 929. The gun rocks slightly in the holster but stays put. I contacted CED just last month who subsequently reached out to Saul K with my question about it being a little loose. Saul assured me it was the correct insert and that it was secure. If I wanted greater security I could add the muzzle support but said I really don't need it. As long as I take care to seat the gun and lock it when reholstering, I haven't had a problem. I love the holster.

My N frame insert (magnetic style) needed some minor filing to fit my 929. It fit every other N frame I had (627 PC, 627 V Comp, 629s, 625) fine. The front of the 929 trigger guard was maybe .003 or .03 thicker than the others.

Once I fixed that with a little , I realized the sliding insert was not well shaped and was actually binding on the side of the trigger itself. This kept my guns from snugging into the block as well as they could. Fixed that by relieving a small section of that block and now all my guns fit the holster better. I'll take pics tomorrow if you're interested.

I'd like to see the photos. Maybe I'll have to do this to mine.

I have the N frame magnetic insert (box labeled 625) for my 929. The gun rocks slightly in the holster but stays put. I contacted CED just last month who subsequently reached out to Saul K with my question about it being a little loose. Saul assured me it was the correct insert and that it was secure. If I wanted greater security I could add the muzzle support but said I really don't need it. As long as I take care to seat the gun and lock it when reholstering, I haven't had a problem. I love the holster.

Did the same thing .