Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Draft PCC Appendix Posted

ZackJones

Today Troy McManus posted the draft Appendixes for PCC for USPSA and Steel Challenge on the USPSA forum. Attached is a screen shot of the one for steel challenge.

Here's a copy of his post

The new, provisional PCC appendix will be posted on the USPSA web page today. I'm also going to post it here for comments and suggestions. We are looking for constructive criticism or suggestions, not argument over whether you like the division. At present, it's a provisional, proposed division and USPSA is seeking member comment. If you have suggestions for equipment changes or requirements, post them here. If you don't think we should do it, or are in favor of it, please address those comments to your Area Director, via email using "areax@uspsa.org" for the email address, "x" being your area number.

Please note that SBR's and Suppressors are regulated at both the State and Federal level, which may cause some complications from state to state. USPSA's position on both is that the owner is responsible for complying with all local, state, and federal laws concerning the SBR or Suppressor.

Suppressor use may prove to be problematic; sensitivity of timers varies and will change with the design of the course of fire.

I've only skimmed it and the only change that jumps out at me is I would prefer to keep it Open and Irons like we do with the rimfire divisions instead of Open and Limited.

post-50397-0-78975300-1456853901_thumb.j

I would be against creating two division with iron or optics. Irons are not that much slower on the longer gun at short distances, optics are readily available and easy to mount, and we don't need to add yet another division.

The silencer prohibition is interesting but I get it.

Could that language requiring firing from the shoulder. Could that causes an issue on some stage where you had to manipulate the gun using one hand or were otherwise in some awkward position where you couldn't get the stock on your shoulder? I don't want to see someone trying to find a ruling if a legal PCC gun is fired while not at the shoulder even though this would be the method used for the vast majority of shooting.

Since this is going into USPSA Pistol matches, Open and Limited make total sense and I already knew the equipment differences without reading the draft. What I don't like is the finger inside the trigger guard. We need to have it out, just like all the other divisions in a pistol match!

In USPSA Handgun it's a single division. In steel challenge they've broken it out into two. We play be different rules than USPSA handgun matches. We are currently permitted to have a finger inside the trigger guard as long as it's not touching the trigger on low ready starts.

I would be against creating two division with iron or optics. Irons are not that much slower on the longer gun at short distances, optics are readily available and easy to mount, and we don't need to add yet another division.

It's no different than Rimfire pistol and rifle. We have those as irons and open.

Please keep in mind this thread is for Steel Challenge and not USPSA handgun matches. That's a separate thread.

I have been shooting rimfire rifle in Steel Challenge for a number of years. Based on the number of times I have had reshoots due to the timer not recording, there is no way I would use one of my silencers for PCC in either SC or USPSA.

Only problem I see with the proposal is that it doesn't allow for bagged guns. Rule 14 of the USPSA version should be added to the SCSA version.

I drafted a revised version of the rule and posted on the USPSA forum. Here's what I posted:

13 Handling requirements

Must be transported between stages in a closed case or securely fastened to a cart designed for 3-Gun matches. When secured to the cart the muzzle must point towards the ground and a chamber flag must be inserted. The competitor will not remove the carbine from the cart until the "Make Ready" range command has been given. For carbines carried in a case the case must remain fully closed until the "Make Ready" range command is given. Carbines transported in a case do not require the use of a chamber flag but the competitor may use one if desired. For movement between shooting boxes such as between the second and third strings on Showdown or returning to the starting box on Outer Limits the muzzle of the carbine must face down range at all times.

Much of this is already covered in rules...like no handling of a gun until given the make ready command or at a safe table. There is no need to repeat these things in another rule.

The direction of the muzzle ( of an uncased gun) can be up or down as long as it is kept vertical and the action is flagged.

It is best to keep the rules short and simple and don't repeat them. Differences in wording just complicates things.