Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

para p189

herman

I don't have one, but I have seen them. If you already have a Para I would say go for it. But if your going to buy a p18.9 and convert it I would say slow down there's better options. The biggest down fall with Para is limited after market parts. Mags and good base pads are a little hard to come by and there a 80 series, not the best trigger system to work with. I know some people said they had problems with the frame cracking where it was drilled and taped for a slide ride C-more, but I don't think it is very common. Before you buy one I would look into a STI or CK arms frame. For the cost of the Para and the work that would need to be done I don't know that it would be a good idea, it would put you close in price to a used Trubore. But like I said, if you already have one it would be a good starting point that you don't have to throw tons of money at.

Edited by blacklab

Magazine are hard to get, with DP base pads I can get 22 on some mags. I'm still trying to get my MBX 170m to work right. For the dust cover cracking where the scope mount is, mine has plates welded on to make it thicker. My gun is also a first gen Para.

All parts made for the 1911 will fit the Para base gun, other than the trigger. S_I triggers can be reshaped to fit or Ebay sells Para triggers from the guy in Florida, who builds Para custom guns . So you can get triggers.

If you went with a Delta Pro point and Arrandeno scope mount, I do not think you would have much of an issue with cracked dust covers.

Magazines...I have three Para limited guns and all use STI or SV magazines. I just spot welded a tab on mag catch lip, to hold the magazine tube in the higher position. That is all that is necessary to use S_I magazines. No fuss about looking for Para magazines.

If this is only gun you have, then go for it.

Buy the Brazos, comp/barrel comb, one piece set up, get the Dawson magwell, beaver tail, if you do not already have one, thumb safety, mill a little of the slide, scope/mount combo, I mentioned earlier, weld the mag catch for some STI mags and BAMN, you got an open gun!

JMO

--- snip ---

If you went with a Delta Pro point and Arrandeno scope mount, I do not think you would have much of an issue with cracked dust covers.

--- snip ---

Mr ACP is spot on except for the Deltapoint and Arredondo mount. You still need to thicken the frame!

post-400-0-65757100-1456848356_thumb.jpg

Later,

Chuck

All parts made for the 1911 will fit the Para base gun, other than the trigger. S_I triggers can be reshaped to fit or Ebay sells Para triggers from the guy in Florida, who builds Para custom guns . So you can get triggers.

Magazines...I have three Para limited guns and all use STI or SV magazines. I just spot welded a tab on mag catch lip, to hold the magazine tube in the higher position. That is all that is necessary to use S_I magazines. No fuss about looking for Para magazines.

If this is only gun you have, then go for it.

Buy the Brazos, comp/barrel comb, one piece set up, get the Dawson magwell, beaver tail, if you do not already have one, thumb safety, mill a little of the slide, scope/mount combo, I mentioned earlier, weld the mag catch for some STI mags and BAMN, you got an open gun!

JMO

As far as Magazines, MBX or SPS will work. I've got both, MBX is more expensive but probably better. SPS is about 2/3rds the price from Spain. I'm not sure about the Deltapoint, I've got one on a XDM that worked fine shooting minor.

wow. a lot to think about. way back when i had a p 189 really liked it was all metal & heavy, but could not get it to run reliably so got rid of it.

does anyone make a all metal 9mm gun that can be make into a open gun.

thanks to all the replies really appreciate it..

herman

The Rock Island double stacks are heavy and all metal. They might be what you are looking for. I built a RIA 9mm single stack into a open gun for steel challenge. So far it works really well, but the frame is a little thin for the C-more mount. I also have a RIA double stack to plink with. That has plenty of metal on the frame for a mount. You have to watch though, the older ones came with a non ramped barrel, but the newer ones come with a P/C ramped barrel. The newer ones are known for being fairly reliable and are priced right @ around $650.00. But the same thing as with a Para, mags can be a little tricky. The RIA uses the same mags as Para but there are a few different sizes depending on what model you would get. The guns with a factory mag well takes a different size mag then one with out the mag well, it gets a little confusing sometimes and you have limited options. I tried my STI mags in it but they didn't work, but I think you could do as kimberacp said and weld the mag catch, not sure about that though.

The other plus to the RIA is they are 70 series. Easer to work on the trigger, you can get them to 3 1/2lbs with just some light filing and tweaking.

Edited by blacklab

I built a Para Open gun with a P18.9. Meh, its a pain in the butt. It took forever to get it going and I replaced everything but the frame and slide. And the thin frame makes it really hard to keep scope mount screws tight because of the limited thread engagement.

If you want all metal get one of the metal grips for a 2011 format gun.

Edited by jid2

I bought a used Open gun reportedly built by Dawson some time in the 90s. I discovered the dust cover cracking when it dropped to the point that I ran out of elevation adjustment. I was going to get it welded up, but had to have the chrome playing stripped first.

DSC03242.jpg

I sent it to Virgil Tripp to un-chrome it. That's when he discovered the cracks on both sides of the grip frame where the trigger bow cuts had been made.

100_0281.jpg

Interestingly, when this gun had been built, it used the STI-type cut for the barrel, not the typical Para cut. So I bought an STI frame and shipped it to Virgil and he fit the top end to the new frame and added a C-more.

I've still got the cracked frame sitting in the back of the safe. I keep thinking I should build it up with a Mech Tech or something.

For what it would cost to build a gun from a complete P18*9, I would lean toward just using an STI/SV.

Oh yeah, one thing going for the Para is if you cut and weld mags, you should be able to get around 33 rounds in a 170 tube.

Edited by Garrett