Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dry Fire

j1b

Just curious on this one.

I have set up my standard drills (practically stolen from the baseball standards) and then I work on what I want to work on that day.

Steve is exempt because of his book. Just wondering what the rest of you work on in dry fire.

JB

Being in the choices is quite an honor...

I get a few questions about this so I'll answer even if I.m not s'posed to. :)

I alternate between the classifier skills/match skills and the plate rack drills every other night.

Right now I'm grooving in the XD so I do the plate drills a lot to get the focus types sharp.

I don't normally do all the reps listed in the book anymore, but I will stick on one if I feel the need.

Thanks again for the mention.

SA

Jack, I work on smoothing out my movement during dry-fire. It still amazes me how easily a reload can go bad just as I start to step out of a box. My standards are draws, reloads, and transfers to weak hand. Then I work on them moving. I take long walks in the evening in the hills around my place. This is great dry-fire time. I realize that walking around the hills dryfiring is sort of unconventional. But so am I. :D

I work on all the basics, but I spend a lot of my time learning about all the differnt things I might encounter. Going Prone, pulling my gun off a table, loading it from empty etc. All that stuff is to much for me to do live, but I can get some idea of how it works if i can try it dry fire.

Gee Sam, know I know what Robin means when she says, "Sam is taking a walk." As for dry fire, the last thing I seem to need right now is concentrating on the draw. Like Sam, I am practicing on doing the reload as I leave, reloading on the move, target transitions on the move, etc.

Random and unstructured, but that has to change.

That's been me, both live and dry fire :D

I've been trying to make both kinds of sessions more focussed on specific problems. It seems to be helping to spend most of the dry fire time (and most of the two to four hundred rounds of live fire) each session on just one type of drill or perhaps two of different sorts for just a little variety to avoid going stale.

I get the sense from readin Steve's book that he has/does drills for specific skills, but also has some drills he does all the time, sort of a mix of "maintenance" and "development" drills.

Kevin C.

Gee Sam, know I know what Robin means when she says, "Sam is taking a walk."

I realized that I don't have the time to everthing I would like to do as far as exercise and practice. So it's "exer-fire"! I tried dry-fire on the Nordic-Trac a few times. Not a winning strategy......... :lol:

Sometimes I walk the AR as well. ;)

I realized that I don't have the time to everthing I would like to do as far as exercise and practice.  So it's "exer-fire"!  I tried dry-fire on the Nordic-Trac a few times.  Not a winning strategy......... :lol:   

Sometimes I walk the AR as well.  ;)

I guess that's better than live fire on the Nordic-Trac :P

Interesting stuff - Thanks.

I'd never really had a structured approach to dry firing but have between the end of last year and the beginning of this year developed a little routine that I go through every time. It takes place in the beginning and end of every dry fire session. Occasionally it makes up the entire session if I'm short on time or not feeling like grooving it in hard.

I generally throw a mix of all the other choices in the middle depending on what I want to hit. I always make up a drill or two so that I am continually challenging myself with something new - just like a match. Interestingly I've started doing 12 second par time drills that have added a new "something" that I've determined must be beneficial. We'll see.

Steve - I wasn't trying to exclude you - just wanted to protect your profits ;) You know I've got your book so the love is there baby!

JB

I don't have Steve's book yet but I have the trio that is sold on this site. I have put together a set for myself from the books and stuff from the forums. After I do all of it, if I can still hold up my arms I try other stuff.