Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cheap 9mm bullets?

e5young

• 2 weeks later...

Just placed an order for 11,000 125gr RN coated bullets from SNS for delivery at the upcoming Indiana SS/Prod major match. Came out to about 6.1 cents per bullet after bulk discount and less the shipping charges. That's pretty decent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also am liking Bayou Bullets. Used to use Montana Gold, but the coated bullets are much less expensive, use less powder for the same bullet weight to make the same velocity, and have, at least for me with my stock Glock barrels, equivalent accuracy.

I have also used Precision 147's, which cost a bit less than the Bayou. A good product, but, like the MG's, they have a flat base (actually cupped for the Precisions), whereas the Bayou's have a bevel base. Even with generous belling, the flat bottomed bullets will tilt on me while loading on my SDB, just often enough that it slows me down or I'll have a jam with a scored tilted bullet and a crushed primed and charged case that now needs to be dealt with. I find the bevel based bullets don't do that.

Edited by kevin c

I also am liking Bayou Bullets. Used to use Montana Gold, but the coated bullets are much less expensive, use less powder for the same bullet weight to make the same velocity, and have, at least for me with my stock Glock barrels, equivalent accuracy.

I have also used Precision 147's, which cost a bit less than the Bayou. A good product, but, like the MG's, they have a flat base (actually cupped for the Precisions), whereas the Bayou's have a bevel base. Even with generous belling, the flat bottomed bullets will tilt on me while loading on my SDB, just often enough that it slows me down or I'll have a jam with a scored tilted bullet and a crushed primed and charged case that now needs to be dealt with. I find the bevel based bullets don't do that.

That is true of the cone shaped bells, but if you use cylinder-shaped one, the bullet will stay much, much more reliably.

Such an expander comes with Mr.Bulletfeeder, and I made some myself out of standard Dillon cone expanders.

Foxbat:

That's good to know.

Is there an insert for the SDB powder die that has that type of expander (I've only ever had the factory expander for my SDB that I've used for all my reloading over the past 20 odd years)?

Foxbat:

That's good to know.

Is there an insert for the SDB powder die that has that type of expander (I've only ever had the factory expander for my SDB that I've used for all my reloading over the past 20 odd years)?

You probably should ask Rick at Mr.Bulletfeeder if he has made them, but if not, you can modify the standard Dillon part - you can do that on a lathe. It is hardened, but a carbide tool works fine on it. You will need to polish it afterwards, of course.

With the cylindrical bell the bullet sits tight, does not move, and it actually takes some effort to pull it out. The expanded area is not very deep, something like .040" deep will usually do.

I guess if I were rich I would buy Montana Golds,

I am not rich, but I buy Precision Delta or Montana Gold because work better in the bullet feeder.

My bullet feeder is my left hand! So far it has worked the same with Montana Gold and Bayou!!!

Black Bullets International. Great bullets, great prices.

And Chandler is great as well. He routinely delivers bullets to most matches he attends.
Hey Sarge, do you know if this Bullets would work with open guns like the 38sc? Thanks a lot