Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Palmetto State Armory PSA AR-9 (Glock Mags) First Impressions / Questi

uod

I picked up the PSA AR-9 lower and upper that uses Glock mags few weeks ago for use with Steel Challenge and eventually (hopefully) USPSA. For the most part, it runs great. I have two odd issues though.

The mag seems to really hang up when trying to insert it unless you get it at just the perfect angle. Anyone else notice this, or do I have something weird going on with mine? It's taking a lot of practice to get a decently quick reload with this thing.

Also -- I'm having an issue getting the right reloads nailed down. It'll shoot the loads I use in my G34 and my 9mm 1911 just fine, but the only way to get a round out of the chamber is to fire it out. You can't extract it with pulling the charging handle (unless you want to use pliers, a hammer, and possibly your foot too). I tried a few factory rounds, and I don't seem to have that problem with those. It seems like that I need to crimp the heck out of the bullet to get it to extract.

Any suggestions on a good optic for this thing? I am using a cheap Aimpoint clone for now. I was thinking about throwing one of my CMores on it, but I was curious to see what everyone else was running.

And --- Any suggestions for a really light weight rifle length handguard that won't break the bank? I'm going to take off the A2 front sight post and plastic handguard, and I want to get this thing as light as possible.

Your reloads are probably too long for the leade of the PSA barrel, especially if no problems w factory ammo.

That is what I had initially thought. My reloads were 1.135 OAL. The factory I was using was 1.13OAL. I dropped my OAL down to 1.125 and I am still having the problem.

Edited by uod

Your reloads are probably too long for the leade of the PSA barrel, especially if no problems w factory ammo.

That is what I had initially thought. My reloads were 1.135 OAL. The factory I was using was 1.13OAL. I dropped my OAL down to 1.125 and I am still having the problem.

Unless your reloads use the exact same bullet as the factory ammo you're looking at, then the OAL of the factory ammo is an irrelevant data point. And by exact same, I don't mean same weight.

I mean same weight, same manufacturer, and same profile.

Agree that OAL/projectile profile could be the culprit. Could also be related to the cartridge case not being sized all the way down depending on the dies you are using. Glocks have fairly generous chambers, so the ammo that runs fine in your 34 may still be a touch over sized in the PSA. You can fairly easily test for where the stick-tion is occurring, Just take a few rounds and coat with a colored marker. Chamber them and then extract via the "mortar" method in a controlled manner. Look at the extracted rounds and you will be able to see a ring rubbed around the exposed bullet or you will see rubs down on the bottom 1/3 to 1/4 of the case closer to the extractor groove.

If the rub is on the bullet, then you could have some success seating deeper or going to a different bullet profile; it seem that the TC bullets are pretty bad about this. If the rub is on the bottom of the case, you will need to size your cases down further with your existing dies, use a "U' die, use a case pro, or have the chamber opened a smidgen. (Yes, that's a technical term.)

Edited by wgj3

are you using moly coated bullets? My 40 reloads had to be almost undersized in length before they would case gauge properly when using the coated bullets and bare lead (same mold) and plated (really close profile and same weight) did just fine out another .15".

What mags are you running. I just picked up one of these.

Factory Glock 17 and 33rd mags.

are you using moly coated bullets? My 40 reloads had to be almost undersized in length before they would case gauge properly when using the coated bullets and bare lead (same mold) and plated (really close profile and same weight) did just fine out another .15".

I tried both 125GR Round Nose Blue Bullets and 124gr JHP Montana Golds. Result was the same for both.

As far as the load issue goes --- I just purchased an EGW U die to try out. I use one with my .40 reloads, but never needed it with my 9mm. I am hoping that solves the problem. I'll report back in a few days.

Ignore reloading basics like plunk testing and even your Scorpion might get stung.

Folks who say "but the OAL of my reload is shorter than XYZ factory ammo" rarely would just empty a round of factory ammo, measure the charge weight of that unknown powder, and apply that weight to a completely different powder. But that's what OP is doing here RE: bullet selection...

Ignore reloading basics like plunk testing and even your Scorpion might get stung.

Folks who say "but the OAL of my reload is shorter than XYZ factory ammo" rarely would just empty a round of factory ammo, measure the charge weight of that unknown powder, and apply that weight to a completely different powder. But that's what OP is doing here RE: bullet selection...

That's definitely not what I am doing here. All rounds are being plunk tested. I only looked to the factory ammo as one data point to reference to see where things might be going wrong. It's a problem that I was chasing for quite a while one night while trying to find a round that worked. Tried multiple OALs, multiple bullets, and multiple crimps. I just received my U Die, and have not yet been home for along enough period to drop it into the toolhead and test it out to see if that might be the problem. I'll report back once I have done that.

My Scorpion has been eating all of my reloads, essentially I feed it my reject brands, Extreme, Bullet Dudes, and Blue Bullets. All feed perfectly with my normal Shadow load OAL

I am fine with Xtreme 124 RN loaded to 1.137 but I tried a few Rainier 124 FP and they are engaging the rifling at 1.070. They were not coming out of the chamber and had to be fired to clear the gun.

I just got a PSA AR9 too. Same issue with magazine insertion. I ran it today for the first time and it was frustrating getting the mag inserted. Its certainly NO Glock magwell. I can't find the right load either. I am using a Nikon Pro Staff 3-9 scope at 75 yards.

I just got a PSA AR9 too. Same issue with magazine insertion. I ran it today for the first time and it was frustrating getting the mag inserted. Its certainly NO Glock magwell.

The bottom edge of the mag release that contacts the top of the magazine when inserting it is at a right angle; I would think putting a slight bevel on that edge would help with mag insertion. I just got a New Frontier lower and haven't tried this yet myself though.