Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

powder spillage on a 1050

Is it spilling from being jarred around in the shellplate, or is it coming out of the powder drop as a result of sticking? My 1050 is HORRIBLE about powder sticking using extruded powders (Varget, N140, etc.) and I have yet to find a good solution other than switching to TAC or H335 entirely.

I was going to say the same thing as shakman. Are you sure it's coming out while indexing? I find that highly unlikely with the small neck on a .223 case. What's more likely is the powder isn't all making it in to the case during the powder drop stage. Since the powder drop fits around the outside of the neck of the case, it's much more likely this is where the powder is coming from. If you were complaining about this with a straight-walled case that was mostly full, I'd maybe think differently.

I'd check two things:

1. Not allowing enough time for the powder to drop in to the case; or

2. Using an extruded powder that's bridging the case mouth when filling (more likely).

I was having similar issues until I went to H335 (ball, not stick) powder. It meters very well and quickly. Haven't had a problem since.

Is it spilling from being jarred around in the shellplate, or is it coming out of the powder drop as a result of sticking? My 1050 is HORRIBLE about powder sticking using extruded powders (Varget, N140, etc.) and I have yet to find a good solution other than switching to TAC or H335 entirely.

I gave up on extruded powders in a Dillon powder measure.... what is the point if your +/- even 0.1-2 the inconsistency does not justify using Varget, N140. Might as well use TAC or H335 at least you know your gonna get a accurate drop and can count on the load consistency.

That's pretty much where I'm at also. The problem is I can't find TAC anywhere. H335 is fairly common, but it's not as good (in my experiences anyway) for longer-range loads.

Back to OP's question....

Some people have also had good luck with polishing the funnel part of their powder drop and using some sort of anti-static wipe on the inside of the entire powder drop assembly. This won't fix the bridging problem causing a "log jam" of powder, but it's another thing to investigate.

BTW, which powder are you using that's causing you the problems?

I usually just put my finger on top of the case as it comes into the bullet seating position keeping powder from spilling out...

I use a lot of Varget. solved the extruded powder in Dillon powder measures by getting rid of them, I now exclusively use a case activated RCBS powder measure. No more extruded powder inconsistencies... :)

jj

I've always wanted to try my RCBS measure on the the 1050, but was worried the pressure of belling in the powder station would break it.

I bell with the 1050 swage hold down die and just set the linkage on the RCBS powder measure to not bottom out or bell the case.

jj

so I've always wanted to do that too, but it doesn't appear my swage hold down die does that. Is it because I've got an old one? Or am I an idiot? and again sorry for the hijack

I was having index issues on my 1050 and tonight I cut the spring one coil down so that it had less bump.