Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Advice wanted for 223/556 setup for Dillon 650

Wow, I count that you handle each case at least 4 times before it gets loaded...sounds tedious...and time consuming.

I would much rather just dump a couple hundred in a case feeder and have them come out of the progressive all ready to load...

jmho

jj

Edited by RiggerJJ

I just buy 100% processed .223 (5.56 Lake City) brass from fast and friendly brass sales, owned by forum member brassaholic.

You can use the RCBs X-sizer die on your brass.

IIRC, you trim to 20 thousandths less than max length. So for .223, that would be 1.74 inches. The decapping rod inside the X die is actually a special mandrel which keeps the brass from growing.

Then for every firing/reloading after that initial trim, you resize/decap with the mandrel screwed down. It is like you get to treat your rifle brass like straight walled semi-auto pistol brass.

So in theory, you could go with a less expensive trimmer...not a Dillon RT1200 or RT1500...trim off press...and only trim once.

Oh, yeah, before I forget, there is always that one gripe on an internet gun forum about the X die and that is making sure you are getting your brass back. There are different ways to mark it with a Sharpie marker. You just have to keep it separated from everybody else's brass when you go to reload it.

Edited by Chills1994

JJ, I think I like the sound of your setup, but the Dillon trimmer is just out of my budget right now.

I would get set up to load processed brass, and save for the trimmer and processing head stuff and get it later. Keep all your fired brass in the meantime and you will have plenty of brass to work with once you start processing it yourself.

jmho

jj

I load several thousand 223/5.56 and 9mm every year for 3 gun on a 650. Switch over is easy. Primer size is the same, so you do a tool head, shell plate, locater buttons, CF arm and body bushings. The nice thing is the case insert slide cam is the same for 223 and pistol. I forgot you need a small rilfe case feed plate. I too have two tool heads for 223/5.56; a processing tool head and a loading one. Dillon makes a tool head just for the trimmer and it is much easier to use than a standard toolhead. Depending on how much 223 you shoot per year, it could quickly pay for itself since you have access to FREE BRASS.

If you buy in bulk like I am sure you already do for 40, you should be able to load 55 grain stuff for about $170-180 per K assuming 9 cents per bullet. I use more expensive match bullets but they shot half moa and are better at the long range game for less than $300 per k.

If you have unlimited access to brass, why not sell 2 buckets worth to fund the purchase.

This is what I've got coming from Brian so far......

QTY SKU Description
1 21101 XL 650 Caliber Conv: 223 Rem/5.56
1 21074 Casefeed Plate: Small Rifle (650/1050)
1 22059 650 Deluxe Quick-Change Kit
1 10839 3-Die Set, Dillon, Rifle: 223/5.56, Steel
1 13254 Case Gage, Dillon Stainless: 223 Rem
1 20095 Super Swage 600
2 13733 Case Lube, Dillon

Pre-processing military brass does require a lot of extra work, especially if you don't have a 1050. You need to decide if doing it is worth it to you as opposed to buying already processed brass. Even if you buy the pre-processed brass, you will still need to eventually trim it again and anneal it though, unless you're OK with throwing away perfectly good brass when time for trimming/annealing comes. If you decide to go with pre-processed brass, make sure it is cleaned, deprimed, swaged and trimmed to length. If they skip any of those steps, you'll have to do it when you get it.

I load several thousand 223/5.56 and 9mm every year for 3 gun on a 650. Switch over is easy. Primer size is the same, so you do a tool head, shell plate, locater buttons, CF arm and body bushings. The nice thing is the case insert slide cam is the same for 223 and pistol. I forgot you need a small rilfe case feed plate. I too have two tool heads for 223/5.56; a processing tool head and a loading one. Dillon makes a tool head just for the trimmer and it is much easier to use than a standard toolhead.

What Dillon tool head are you referring to? I use a standard Dillon billet aluminum tool head for my trimmer set-up. Or are you referring to the 300 Blackout tool head?

I load several thousand 223/5.56 and 9mm every year for 3 gun on a 650. Switch over is easy. Primer size is the same, so you do a tool head, shell plate, locater buttons, CF arm and body bushings. The nice thing is the case insert slide cam is the same for 223 and pistol. I forgot you need a small rilfe case feed plate. I too have two tool heads for 223/5.56; a processing tool head and a loading one. Dillon makes a tool head just for the trimmer and it is much easier to use than a standard toolhead.

What Dillon tool head are you referring to? I use a standard Dillon billet aluminum tool head for my trimmer set-up. Or are you referring to the 300 Blackout tool head?

Dillon is now selling a cut away tool head, mostly for trimming 300 Blackout. But it works for others. Dillon makes them for the 550, 650 & 1050.

The 650 part number is L95-62112

This is what I've got coming from Brian so far......

QTYSKUDescription121101 XL 650 Caliber Conv: 223 Rem/5.56121074Casefeed Plate: Small Rifle (650/1050)122059650 Deluxe Quick-Change Kit1108393-Die Set, Dillon, Rifle: 223/5.56, Steel113254Case Gage, Dillon Stainless: 223 Rem 120095Super Swage 600213733Case Lube, Dillon

I wouldn't buy Dillon's 3 die set.

That's just my opinion.

I am assuming the Dillon resizing/decapping die is a small base die???

The micrometer adjustable seating die by Redding is nice.

I also like the Lee crimp die.

Depending on how you tumble clean your brass, you might want to have a universal decapping die in station #1 of your second toolhead.

Looking just at fast and friendly's website, it looks like going with raw unprocessed .233/5.56 brass saves 2 cents per case.

I think my time is worth it to not have to tumble trim and decrimp for 2 cents each.

If you do go with the Dillon swaging tool, trick it out like this:

https://youtu.be/C34sRku4ASY