Double Duty Open/Defense pistol?

Rudukai13

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Kingman, that's a beautifully modified Glock, but it's got the same issue as the STI Carry Comp - Price. I'd love to get the Carry Comp and have a red dot mounted, but being honest I don't and won't have $4k+ total for what I'm wanting to build at any point in the foreseeable future. I think using an XDm as a base, and adding the parts I outlined in my previous post, I can end up with something that's functionally very similar, for about $1.5k in total. No, it won't be a custom-built competition pistol. But realizing what I'm actually wanting from it and what I'll be doing with it, it doesn't need to be. And if I eventually DO have enough money to get a more premium 2011, then I can trade up. Using a polymer, striker-fired service pistol as the base for this first proof-of-concept is in all actuality the best way to go.

Kingman, that's a beautifully modified Glock, but it's got the same issue as the STI Carry Comp - Price. I'd love to get the Carry Comp and have a red dot mounted, but being honest I don't and won't have $4k+ total for what I'm wanting to build at any point in the foreseeable future. I think using an XDm as a base, and adding the parts I outlined in my previous post, I can end up with something that's functionally very similar, for about $1.5k in total. No, it won't be a custom-built competition pistol. But realizing what I'm actually wanting from it and what I'll be doing with it, it doesn't need to be. And if I eventually DO have enough money to get a more premium 2011, then I can trade up. Using a polymer, striker-fired service pistol as the base for this first proof-of-concept is in all actuality the best way to go.

You are doing fine. Three grand for a Glock? No thanks.

Not to start a huge flamewar but...

Competition is one thing, but for home defense I would not use a caliber which doesn't start with at least a "4". Zippy little pills versus flying ashtrays, gimme the heavies.

If you're building a gun for playing in Open and defending your life, defense has to be the primary function you're designing around. As to which gun, it doesn't really matter that much. Save a bunch of cash by forgetting the comp and custom smith work needed to attach it properly, just go drill crazy. V6 popples will do the trick.

Or do it right. Get a Limited gun, something like the STI Apeiro. Put tritium iron sights on it, have the frame drilled for an optic mount, get another barrel with popples drilled into the barrel island and a comp on the end. Now by swapping the barrel and bolting on the optic, your one gun can do it all: concealed carry, home defense, Limited and Open. You can start with just the stock pistol and upgrade as funds allow. A bit pricey at the start but at the end it's much cheaper than a safe full of pistols.

tj7rQZW.jpg

Absocold, you're spot on. I suppose my original intent was to build a gun to do both without having to swap barrels/slides, so you're first suggestion is exactly what I'm thinking. I agree, popple holes would make more sense than a comp for a defense gun. I'm also in agreement - If I ever intend to press the gun into defensive use, the primary function of the build should be aimed towards defensive use with competition as an after-thought