Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Weapons mounted light

can't go wrong with Surefire; cost effective, durable, holster friendly. If AR platform I recommend the same as well with Surefire. Their scout models are low profile, bright, and can be operated with push pad or button.

100 yds is a tough distance for underpowered lights. Most of the dedicated weapon lights are a bit under powered for that distance IMO even the X300. I really like having 1000 ish lumins. You can get several lights out there that will do it and can be mounted with adapters for MUCH less than a SF or SL. Thrunite makes a pretty good quality light that can take a rechargeable battery (18650) for about $60 that I really like and carry as a duty light if that says anything about the durability. http://www.thrunite.com/thrunite-tn12-2016-cool-white/. The nice thing about a handheld light mounted to a "play" gun is you have a light for EDC or pistol work also. If you want a surefire, teh furys are very nice, but do not take an 18650, so you are stuck buying CR123's for the outrageous prices they charge and only get a couple hours run time on the high settings.

• 2 weeks later...

Are you using the rail mounted lights with integrated light or the flashlights that can be removed from the mount and used as a normal flashlight (mounts like scope in 1"rings).

Do you mount on 12 O'clock (on top of rail) or 6 O'clock or other?

Mike

another Surefire x300 user here. traditionally these are mounted so your left thumb (if your right handed) can toggle the switch (like if you were really using it hunting, etc.) but in a match you can put them wherever you want. just turn it on before the go beep. so you could put at 9. there's always talk about shadows and stuff, but that's "tactical use". just need to light up the target. If your fore-end has rails already, you can put it at 12 if clears your sights, lots of guys use off set mounts at 11. a really inexpensive way is to use a Surefire G2 flashlight in a rail mount. lots of companies can help you on this. but the surefire x300 is the way to go.

Can't say for others, but all my Streamlights come with other adapters for different rails. The Glock adapter fits my picatinny rails on my AR15's.

My HK USP's, however, have proprietary rails and I use a GG&G adapter to put lights on it. Kind of painful.